The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry food and cats

I know this topic has been gone over ad nauseum, but I need suggestions on a good DRY cat food that can be purchased at a typical store.

My parents' cat suffered through a UTI a bit ago. They don't want to give her wet food ("she'll puke on the carpet," Mom says ) but at least she's getting some supplemental tuna broth every day to encourage fluids. The cat has benefited from this in multiple ways -- she always had a real rough coat, but now she's a lot softer and I noticed it immediately the last time I was there for a visit.

Kitty is currently on some formulation of Iams, has horrible dandruff, and sheds in droves. While I don't ever think I could talk them into buying EVO or Wellness Core at it's price tag -- despite the fact that it would go a WHOLE lot longer because she'd eat a lot less of it -- I want to make some suggestions that would reduce the calories from carbs and increase her protein/fat intake in the attempt to take care of some of her skin problems. The fact that it would have to be purchased from a non-pet store limits my options severely!

Are there any "grocery store" dry foods that are better than others? I've been looking at the list at http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html but it's a bit out of date.

Hmm... they're mostly crap. I had to buy a little bag of Purina One yesterday just b/c of poor planning and needing something to get me through today but even though it's 31% protein and 18% fat it has hardly anything but corn in it. Chicken, not chicken meal, is about the fourth ingredient.

Does the grocery store have any of the chef special foods? I noticed in my searching at walmart yesterday that Rachel Ray has dog food that would be good in this situation but I didn't see cat food. Newman has a cat food that is decent that I see in the grocery stores sometimes...

What about ordering food from Amazon or one of the online pet food vendors? If they aren't computer-savvy, can you do it for them (and maybe chip in the difference for a higher quality food with or without their knowledge)?

I have been told by a few vets that Fancy Feast (the orignal version) is actually a decent, hi protein food. I know it isn't dry, but it is cheap & easily obtained.

If vomiting after eating is an issue, maybe you can try to slow the intake. I have a bowl with golf balls that cats have to eat around. Works like a charm.

If you're limiting the choices to dry food available at the grocery store, then there really aren't any good options. You'd be better off with canned Fancy feast.

Please read www.catinfo.org. It explains how critical diet is for cats with cystitis

1 members found this post helpful.

I have seen a dry fancy feast I believe at my local food lion. Other wise yeah cheap o foods at the stores mostly. Newmans does seem like a better food than oh say special kitty or friskies (the ferals where I stay will not touch friskies!)

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPony View Post
    I have seen a dry fancy feast I believe at my local food lion. Other wise yeah cheap o foods at the stores mostly. Newmans does seem like a better food than oh say special kitty or friskies (the ferals where I stay will not touch friskies!)
    Dry Fancy Feast is TERRIBLE. Wet Fancy Feast--the varieties without wheat gluten, at least--is a good choice for canned food on a budget.

VaqueroToro, how about Fresh Pets Select? It's available at the grocery store and could be an excellent compromise. The ingredient list is probably better than anything else you're going to find at the store and is a moist (but not wet) food. Cats seem to like it. It's a little spendy, but not too terrible, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Dry Fancy Feast is TERRIBLE. Wet Fancy Feast--the varieties without wheat gluten, at least--is a good choice for canned food on a budget.

VaqueroToro, how about Fresh Pets Select? It's available at the grocery store and could be an excellent compromise. The ingredient list is probably better than anything else you're going to find at the store and is a moist (but not wet) food. Cats seem to like it. It's a little spendy, but not too terrible, IIRC.

Friskies Meaty selection isn't too terrible,

and I think Purina naturals.
    http://www.petsupplies.com/item/puri...FeyPPAodhGYASw
    the 'dry only' Queen cat likes it well enough to claw holes in the bag.

There is another promising looking food in the shelf at the store, but I forgot the name. It's twice as much as the purina one, with largely the same ingredients.

As to meal vs not: an interesting read on pet food labeling suggests that meal might be better as it is void of most liquid vs the whole meat thing - affecting the total content of the ingredient in the dry food.

And don't be fooled by fancy names and price tags: I have found that a lot of the more special brands are no differently formulated than the cheap grocery store kind: glorified pollenta.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Evolve Cat Food just showed up in my grocery store. I picked up some cans of the wet food, just to see, because with five cats, I'd like to cut expenses as much as possible, without sacrificing too much quality. I can't tell you anything about how my cats fare on it, because I just got it, but it might be worth a shot.

If your grocery stores don't have it, and your parents aren't adverse to shopping on line, the dry version might be a choice for them.
    http://www.amazon.com/Evolve-Mainten.../dp/B0000TZ1G4
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Purina One does have a "Urinary Tract" dry food, as well as some other "special" formulas. Their protein content ranges from 32% to 38%. It may not be a premium cat food but it has cured my cats food allergies and has given him a nice glossy coat. And , heck, the roasted chicken smell makes me want to eat it.

The UT variety is what I got; chicken, not chicken meal, is the third ingredient and the only protein source unless you count "animal digest". It's 31% and 12.5% fat, I was off on that.

But the cats LOVE it! lol go figure!

I noticed Ol' Roy even had some grain free formulas yesterday; I had never seen those before. Still whacky but interesting to see the trend. And a lot of the regular dog foods (Purina, ect) had "active" formulas with higher protein. That's new since the last time I shopped at Walmart for dog food, about two years ago.

I still have bag from the Newmans, let me check that. 32% protein and 18% fat, chicken, chicken meal and soybean meal, sorghum and then fish meal and down from there... The cats didn't like it.

My local Stater Bros is carrying Evolve. For a grocery store brand, it's not too bad. Not too good either...but between that and Purina, Iams, etc I'd get the Evolve.

Do you have access to a Costco? Their brand is actually good.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Can you buy their first big bag of Wellness as a gift? A big (12 lb?) bag is still only about $30...and for one cat would last a long time. Hopefully their cat likes it and they come to the realization that a trip to petsmart a few times a year and a few extra bucks for higher quality food is worth it for the kitty.

Thanks for the replies, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    If you're limiting the choices to dry food available at the grocery store, then there really aren't any good options. You'd be better off with canned Fancy feast.

Please read www.catinfo.org. It explains how critical diet is for cats with cystitis
    I'm personally not limiting it to grocery store, I just know that if it can't be bought at the local Wal-Mart, kitty won't be getting it.

I've plugged catinfo.org to her numerous times -- it converted me several years ago. While I can't feed a 100% wet food diet to my two, they do get a wet food meal at least four times a week, otherwise they get Wellness Core.

Since their kitty is already getting some tuna juice, I was thinking of trying to talk Mom into adding some Fancy Feast to it if only to offset how much Iams the fuzz would be eating. That might be the route to take, especially if I show up with a couple cans of the classic.

I did manage to talk her out of keeping the auto waterer for the cat and instead use a bowl she can empty out/clean/refill every day. Kitty's water consumption seems to have increased since that change.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    VaqueroToro, how about Fresh Pets Select? It's available at the grocery store and could be an excellent compromise.
    Bah..figures it's within a 5mi radius of where I am, but not a reasonable drive for where they live. I might look into getting some as a treat for my two though.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Do you have access to a Costco? Their brand is actually good.
    No, there isn't one nearby. Territory around here is split up amongst BJ's Wholesale and Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    My local Stater Bros is carrying Evolve. For a grocery store brand, it's not too bad. Not too good either...but between that and Purina, Iams, etc I'd get the Evolve.
    Ooh, that might be an option! Looks like Country Max carries it, and they do have one of those in town.

Quote Originally Posted by fivesocks View Post
    Can you buy their first big bag of Wellness as a gift? A big (12 lb?) bag is still only about $30...and for one cat would last a long time.
    I can attest to how long one bag lasts as long as there isn't a hungry kitten involved. I was thinking about trying that route then talking Mom into buying it online while Petco has it's 20% off/free shipping on orders >= $49. Buying one 2lb and one 12lb bag would fill both of those requirements.

My only hesitation on that was knowing how long it took to convert my adult cat to it from Iams. Since I'm heading out there this weekend, I might just take a little baggie of my Wellness and see if Kitty shows any interest.

It looks like Country Max stocks Earthborn Holistics. It's a great dry (and wet) food. Grain free and I think only 17% carbs in the dry. A 14 lb bag is usually $25-30. The Wild Sea Catch has been very palatable to my kitties. Much more so than Wellness Core or EVO.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My local walmart carries the Evolve. I bought it in a pinch when the cats were out and no one died. They ate it well and I had no problems with it. Now the trader joe's dry food I picked up two weeks ago has caused a barf fest - on my white carpet.