The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, if you send your horse to be trained by him, it stands to reason that you want a horse trained by him and are there fore a devotee.

I do have the impression though that the horses he does sell are trained under saddle.

And I am sure the lady in question would have been able to sell said horse to another devotee for a nice lump sum to replace the steed she lost.
    This is what I don't understand and hope I don't sound cold hearted saying this but from what I saw of her website she is saying she is a professional trainer or breeder or seller. Not some teenager who has lost their first horse. Does she keep every horse she comes across? Wouldn't be much of a business. Now I'm not saying that pros don't fall in love with certain horses and want to keep them as a heart horse and of course, her heart is broken but in strickly a business sense why would you turn down a free $25,000 horse that you could sell and buy something more suitable?
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    This is what I don't understand and hope I don't sound cold hearted saying this but from what I saw of her website she is saying she is a professional trainer or breeder or seller. Not some teenager who has lost their first horse. Does she keep every horse she comes across? Wouldn't be much of a business. Now I'm not saying that pros don't fall in love with certain horses and want to keep them as a heart horse and of course, her heart is broken but in strickly a business sense why would you turn down a free $25,000 horse that you could sell and buy something more suitable?
    well, she also believes that 'Spanish-Normans' carried knights into battle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ruby Tuesday I was referring to the newbie post by someone else not you.

I will add though she could have took that CA horse and if she didn't want it turn it around for a nice profit.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Ah, but CA PERSONALLY matches you to your Signature horse, so it just wouldn't be perfect if he didn't assign the horse to you...you can't pick it out yourself, though you can refuse one you don't get along with.

As far as re-selling the horse yourself for $25,000? Well, I suppose there is a sucker born every minute...

It is a glorified trail horse - was discussed ad nauseum here
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...gnature-Horses

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    Ah, but CA PERSONALLY matches you to your Signature horse, so it just wouldn't be perfect if he didn't assign the horse to you...you can't pick it out yourself, though you can refuse one you don't get along with.

As far as re-selling the horse yourself for $25,000? Well, I suppose there is a sucker born every minute...

It is a glorified trail horse - was discussed ad nauseum here
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...gnature-Horses
    LOL

still beats a dangerous unrideable one.

of course, there is the 'in crowd' towards this type horse is marketed, for 25k...
    presumably the crowd that send their horses there for training...

and we return to the original point....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I have enjoyed the crap out of this thread. As is usual when I check in with CoTH, I've learned three new things: Friesians have small lungs. Clinton Anderson is a dick. A necropsy costs between $250 - $3000.

But uh-oh. I also learned a) how many commenters subscribe to the view that amateur owners whose natures tend toward the whimsical are "batshit crazy," and b) how few commenters seem to be aware of how offensive it is to use euphemisms for mental illness as pejoratives.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

13 members found this post helpful.

RISE UP, DEAD HORSE! Rise so we shall beat you even more!!! RISE, I say!!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Well, I have enjoyed the crap out of this thread. As is usual when I check in with CoTH, I've learned three new things: Friesians have small lungs. Clinton Anderson is a dick. A necropsy costs between $250 - $3000.

But uh-oh. I also learned a) how many commenters subscribe to the view that amateur owners whose natures tend toward the whimsical are "batshit crazy," and b) how few commenters seem to be aware of how offensive it is to use euphemisms for mental illness as pejoratives.
    I don't think I've ever called anyone 'batshit crazy' (might have thought it but never said it aloud), but the whimsical owners seem to get caught up in programs such as this. Then when they post, they come off as a bubble off center. I know of some in my area. When you post on the net, it's out there for comment, pro and con. Offensive or not, depending on your definition of offensive, too nebulous for large groups of people.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    No way in HELL I would send an animal to ANYONE who said I couldn't see it for six weeks. Especially if those six weeks cost the advertised $3500!!!
    I know a lot of people have said this but I recently asked for a referral for a driving trainer from the folks on the driving board. I got one for a trainer who has a nice facility and seems legitimate. One of the conditions he has for training is "no visitors for the first 30 days". Not too different from Clinton's requirements.

Also, Crone, I have dealt with mentally ill clients for 19 years now. After reading hundreds of psych evals and all the psycho babble contained therein, I have come to the conclusion that "bat shit crazy" should be a legitimate diagnosis along with "mean as a snake" and "dumber than a box of rocks". Those expressions characterize the behavior of the diagnosed much more accurately that the correct psychological terminology.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I don't think I've ever called anyone 'batshit crazy'
    Well, then, I wasn't referring to you, was I?

[T]he whimsical owners seem to get caught up in programs such as this. Then when they post, they come off as a bubble off center.
    What of it? If people choose to be whimsical, how is that any skin off anyone's nose? When a bunch of sanctimonious strangers on the internet diagnose as mentally ill -- and then proceed to openly mock -- a grief-stricken woman merely because she likes fairy knobs or whatever, it strikes me as uncivil. That such incivility is universally considered standard practice in the low-stakes world of internet horse forums makes it no less dispiriting.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

11 members found this post helpful.

CA, PP, Monty Roberts and the like, have one thing in common and it's NOT training. It is simply EGO. If you can really walk the walk, you don't need the limelight to validate you. I personally know of some excellent trainers. They are local, get the job done right every time. They don't need to hire students to do their work. They have time to do the work themselves because they aren't spending it in front of a camera puffing up like a banty rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Thanks, Martha Drum -- you made my day with your post!
    You're welcome. And feel free to make those t-shirts, guys.

I wasn't planning to wallow back into this trough, until I saw it bumped up on the Forums page. But, I have to tell you, we had a little mini-tornado come through Louisa County last Friday night (54 sections of my fence down by trees, tree on barn, several neighbors' homes and outbuildings destroyed).

So I text one of my lesson kids' dads that night, "Hey, could you bring a chainsaw out here when you bring DD for her Saturday morning lesson? My horses can't get to their waterers."

Sure, dad shows up, walks out to the downed trees next to the waterers (directly outside my ring; in fact the tops of the trees were IN the ring) and starts manfully whaling away at branches.

I did have the student (w/t 5th grader, has cantered twice) stand near me when he started it up, but good ol' Henry, my 23-year-old Arab/Trakehner schoolhorse, didn't even twitch and proceeded to trot around the ring, within 10' of chainsaw buzzing through leafy branches, without batting an eye. Girl couldn't figure out why I kept laughing every time they came around past Dad!

I almost became a Premium member, just so I could post a picture here. But I think all my extra money is going into tree removal for a while.

(but the critters are safe, so all is well)
    Last edited by Martha Drum; Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Well, then, I wasn't referring to you, was I?

What of it? If people choose to be whimsical, how is that any skin off anyone's nose? When a bunch of sanctimonious strangers on the internet diagnose as mentally ill -- and then proceed to openly mock -- a grief-stricken woman merely because she likes fairy knobs or whatever, it strikes me as uncivil. That such incivility is universally considered standard practice in the low-stakes world of internet horse forums makes it no less dispiriting.
    Wow, hit a nerve, did I??

Okay, princess, my family's ranch is in the hill country of Texas and you're going to have to toughen up a bit. I've spent a fair amount of time in the hill country too, so know how it mainly works.

IF people want to be whimsical, fine by me. "I" actually like Wicca very much, talking about whimsical. But, when people start posting as the lady who owns the Freisian, she does sound like her elevator doesn't go to the top. Who is diagnosing?? We have our opinion and on this board, we state 'em. Me for one will not walk on eggshells for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lookylou View Post
    Well, I'm not really sure how to take all that...

I used to ride three or four horses a day in my teens to mid 20's. I can ride just fine.

I just was saying that I happen to enjoy the groundwork, and I like the results I get. And a lot of times I do some short & sweet stuff, and sometimes I just get on and ride... gasp.... a NH'er saying that! The nerve.

I'm just a regular, every day horse person, who happens to like CA. Do I agree with everything, no.
    Whatever....
    To each their own.
    No need to get insulted.

I'm psyched that someone with so much riding experience likes the in-depth groundwork. Maybe you can explain it to me? Honestly, maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    No need to get insulted.

I'm psyched that someone with so much riding experience likes the in-depth groundwork. Maybe you can explain it to me? Honestly, maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks.
    About the groundwork...not that I'm a fan of CA, but as I get older, the ground work might be more important than in the past, when I used to hop on and head down the road, consequences be d*mned. Truly, I don't know what all he does, only what I've seen on RFD infomercials, but I have to do more with my guys, so "I" feel safe(r). My nerve has bebopped on out of my confidence. This isn't quite what you mean or were looking for, my POV is more ground handling is better for me. Which is one reason I bought Jackie, the Wonder Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, if you send your horse to be trained by him, it stands to reason that you want a horse trained by him and are there fore a devotee.

I do have the impression though that the horses he does sell are trained under saddle.

And I am sure the lady in question would have been able to sell said horse to another devotee for a nice lump sum to replace the steed she lost.
    IIRC, CA's DUH Ranch website explains that you aren't getting the CA himself, but one of his apprentices doing the work. And heck, his following knows he's on the road, not staying home training their horses. I don't think the HO was misled.

I'm sure CA's Signature Horse are rideable. Where do they come from? Are they reclaimed PTSD cases, or are these unbroke, virgin colts he'd buy just like anyone else?

I see why CA didn't offer the HO cash. But, heck yeah, I'd take the horse and have it sold, pronto.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

About the groundwork...not that I'm a fan of CA, but as I get older, the ground work might be more important than in the past, when I used to hop on and head down the road, consequences be d*mned. Truly, I don't know what all he does, only what I've seen on RFD infomercials, but I have to do more with my guys, so "I" feel safe(r). My nerve has bebopped on out of my confidence. This isn't quite what you mean or were looking for, my POV is more ground handling is better for me. Which is one reason I bought Jackie, the Wonder Mini.
    Maybe a good question of another thread: What do you want from the horse on the ground that tells you

1. He's ready to ride

or

2. There's nothing else you can do on the ground that will make him better under saddle?

I think I know what the NH guys would say. What I see is their clients never getting there, or getting past that point and frustrating their horses. But I don't know what non-Kool-Aid drinking, pro-riding types would say.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Maybe a good question of another thread: What do you want from the horse on the ground that tells you

1. He's ready to ride

or

2. There's nothing else you can do on the ground that will make him better under saddle?

I think I know what the NH guys would say. What I see is their clients never getting there, or getting past that point and frustrating their horses. But I don't know what non-Kool-Aid drinking, pro-riding types would say.
    I'm not a NH person, really. I don't label myself as anything other than a horse person.

For me, I don't get to work my horses consistently thanks to my job and the emergencies that crop up with it. If I worked with them daily, I think I would do very little ground work (because we would move through things faster).

I like them leading well, stopping when I stop and walking when I walk. On the longe line, I want them to walk, trot, and canter from voice commands and make upward and downward transitions. I want them to learn to carry a saddle and bridle.

Then I long line them/line drive them so they learn some cues with the bridle.

Then it is time to get on them. With the green horses, I tend to longe them before I ride to get their mind on the task ahead (being ridden) but my ultimate goal is to get where I don't longe before I get on.

Did I answer your question or did I misunderstand? My goal is just to get their mind in the game, get them some basic skills, and and desensitize them to carrying a saddle and bridle before I get on.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1. He's ready to ride

or

Actually, what my gut and brain are starting to say is to get a Steady Eddie if I want to ride. I still look at colts (my 16H and counting, 1200lb Sammy) and see them from 20 years ago, when I had plenty of confidence and chutzpah to ride them through whatever the problem was. The body isn't cooperating. I've been thinking of selling Sammy or finding him a good home and buy another mini or pony and go that route, or the Steady Eddie. Then I found one of my neighbors has done the same thing. Basic cowgirl type, had a stroke (her, not me, just my body falling apart) and is selling off the big horses and doing ponies.

Sammy is one swell horse but the other day, he did a colt thing which really knocked my confidence. Nothing any other colt wouldn't do but it pinged in my head that I'm IN over my head here. No amount of groundwork would fix it. Scary thought coming from me. Hubby is none too thrilled about my riding Sammy either now.

The upshot is aging bites and it seems now is the time to read the writing on the wall, gotta rethink my horse plans.

IIRC, CA's DUH Ranch website explains that you aren't getting the CA himself, but one of his apprentices doing the work. And heck, his following knows he's on the road, not staying home training their horses. I don't think the HO was misled.

I'm sure CA's Signature Horse are rideable. Where do they come from? Are they reclaimed PTSD cases, or are these unbroke, virgin colts he'd buy just like anyone else?

I see why CA didn't offer the HO cash. But, heck yeah, I'd take the horse and have it sold, pronto.
    I think his kind of horse is easily had for a few hundred to a couple of thousand bucks.

i think it's only honest to state that the students (who pay for the honor to work for him?) do the work. I think other branches of the industry could profit from that approach.

but still, it's his method, his ranch etc....so yeah, it's for his followers.

So why would a follower balk at the notion of getting one of his beasties...except of course on is dead set (sorry, no pun intended) on the majikal furries...

(but maybe in this context, Horse Owner should be typed out! )