The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Worldlylvr67 View Post
    CA, PP, Monty Roberts and the like, have one thing in common and it's NOT training. It is simply EGO. If you can really walk the walk, you don't need the limelight to validate you. I personally know of some excellent trainers. They are local, get the job done right every time. They don't need to hire students to do their work. They have time to do the work themselves because they aren't spending it in front of a camera puffing up like a banty rooster.
    My guess is that these guys aren't making a great wage-- either in a year or over a 40 year career. How much can you get paid to start colts or fix the bad ones.... before you get hurt or worn out?

It's not just for reasons of ego that many horse trainers have to figure out a way to do something other than just ride and ride.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Wow, hit a nerve, did I??

Okay, princess, my family's ranch is in the hill country of Texas and you're going to have to toughen up a bit. I've spent a fair amount of time in the hill country too, so know how it mainly works.
    You are misinformed if you attribute to the inhabitants of the Texas hill country some kind of antisocial tradition of insulting jacknuttery.

And that's Ms. Princess to you, clown.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    You are misinformed if you attribute to the inhabitants of the Texas hill country some kind of antisocial tradition of insulting jacknuttery.

And that's Ms. Princess to you, clown.
    Yup, hit a big nerve, princess. HA!! Not misinformed a bit. If they don't josh you, you aren't one of them.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Apr. 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Yep. Between the DUH ranch and the HO this thread is really starting to sound like an episode of The Simpsons.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Yep. Between the DUH ranch and the HO this thread is really starting to sound like an episode of The Simpsons.
    !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yup, hit a big nerve, princess. HA!! Not misinformed a bit. If they don't josh you, you aren't one of them.
    If they're as rude as you are, then I'm pretty relieved I'm not one of them. Whoever "they" are.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

6 members found this post helpful.

You, who are or have been, in "Texas hill country" are suffering from a drought of one sort or another.. Weather related, or are you in dire need of a relaxing cocktail? Whichever is the case, you are not reflecting well on your welcoming heritage.

I have never been in, nor do I know anyone from Texas hill country, so I can't tell if you are both representatives of, or if you are the antithesis of, "Texas hill country" behavior.
    Last edited by skydy; Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

If they're as rude as you are, then I'm pretty relieved I'm not one of them. Whoever "they" are.
    Glad you're not one of them too.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    You, who are or have been, in "Texas hill country" are suffering from a drought of one sort or another.. Weather related, or are you in dire need of a relaxing cocktail? Whichever is the case, you are not reflecting well on your welcoming heritage.

I have never been in, nor do I know anyone from Texas hill country, so I can't tell if you are both representatives of, or if you are the antithesis of, "Texas hill country" behavior.
    Well, a soothing Pepsi would be nice about now.

Texas, when I lived there, in and around the hill country can be both welcoming and pretty prickly. I still have family there. Family which goes back, waaayyyy back.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I'm not a NH person, really. I don't label myself as anything other than a horse person.

For me, I don't get to work my horses consistently thanks to my job and the emergencies that crop up with it. If I worked with them daily, I think I would do very little ground work (because we would move through things faster).

I like them leading well, stopping when I stop and walking when I walk. On the longe line, I want them to walk, trot, and canter from voice commands and make upward and downward transitions. I want them to learn to carry a saddle and bridle.

Then I long line them/line drive them so they learn some cues with the bridle.

Then it is time to get on them. With the green horses, I tend to longe them before I ride to get their mind on the task ahead (being ridden) but my ultimate goal is to get where I don't longe before I get on.

Did I answer your question or did I misunderstand? My goal is just to get their mind in the game, get them some basic skills, and and desensitize them to carrying a saddle and bridle before I get on.
    Nope, you answered the question. Thanks.

And I do what you do, looking for the same things. I started a thread dedicated to this question because, who knows? Maybe some of these groundwork gurus knows something that you and I don't..... 'cause I just.can't.figure.out what they are doing for, say, more than a week on the ground only.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    It lasted a good 20 pages before the descent into cannibalism started.

But I did start a spin-off thread, so, yanno, some of those "beating a dead horse" pages did generate something good.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Crone, can I ask why are you snarky all of the time? I know some people find it witty but I think you're abrasive and mean. Your posts, which seem to be for entertainment solely (and oddly self-depricating), are tiring - always looking for a stroke or a fight. I find it sad.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

And I do what you do, looking for the same things. I started a thread dedicated to this question because, who knows? Maybe some of these groundwork gurus knows something that you and I don't..... 'cause I just.can't.figure.out what they are doing for, say, more than a week on the ground only.
    I need to go find that thread - so maybe I can be enlightened. I do ground work for more than a week, but that's because I so rarely get to be consistent. I love it when life/emergencies/rescue doesn't intrude and I can really work with a horse consistently and see improvement. (Although that makes me curse the interruptions more!).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Crone, can I ask why are you snarky all of the time? I know some people find it witty but I think you're abrasive and mean. Your posts, which seem to be for entertainment solely (and oddly self-depricating), are tiring - always looking for a stroke or a fight. I find it sad.
    SNARKY.... love that WORD! It tends to reflect that those that use it are still in their adolescence. If you don't like the posts block the person. They can still see your posts, but you won't have the privilege of being entertained by theirs. And horses die in all sorts of places.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

My guess is that these guys aren't making a great wage-- either in a year or over a 40 year career. How much can you get paid to start colts or fix the bad ones.... before you get hurt or worn out?

It's not just for reasons of ego that many horse trainers have to figure out a way to do something other than just ride and ride.
    One trainer friend paid off her farm with the wages she makes from horse training and the two others I know are booked for months out. That means they are making a decent living. They love their work and they don't need a camera in the arena.

I still have family there. Family which goes back, waaayyyy back.
    So...?

This is what I'd consider ground work and it can become an art. Whole different animal than what the "half hour wonders" do. Pun intended.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    So...?
    Yeah, let's make something out of a molehill. If you could just imagine, just see what I was saying, you'd have a clue. Take it in context, m'dear. I said that part of my fam is from the hill country and had been there for ages. See if you can follow the rest of the line of thinking. May be hard but you might be up to the job. Sheesh. Really?? You can't follow this?? Wow...
    Last edited by goneriding24; Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: .

Honey, I can follow it fine. What's your point? Am I supposed to be impressed because your folks have been in Texas Hill Country forever? Does this make you somehow...special?

You're the one who brought it up.

So....what?

Who peed in everybody's wheaties today? Yikes!
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com