The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posts like Martha Drum's last one make it worthwhile logging on to COTH.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

12 members found this post helpful.

LOL...this is what is wrong with NH (I saw this posted on CL today...poor soul is "lost without equipment"...:
    http://flint.craigslist.org/grq/3711602945.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us. I want to foxhunt.

*rant over* *off to eat raw cookie dough*
    D*mn you, d*mn you, I say!! I just snorked coffee, with a mouthful of chocolate covered donut, onto my keyboard! HA!!

Good Lord, is that not the truth or what??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm wondering if CA is taking over the Pep's spot in snort-worthy horse training.

The other night, as I posted before, I watched Chis Cox teaching a class. While he has softened his people skills, the things he did with his little mare perplexed me. In my book, there isn't any reason for it other than it looks good to the uninitiated. I'm thinking this whole NH thing is going off the rails.

6 members found this post helpful.

Martha, that's one of the best common sense horsemanship post I've seen.
    I've noticed that there are a lot of people who have seriously awesome horsemanship skills, who are or have been involved in foxhunting.

Microbovine...
    While I respect the likes of Buck, and would actually audit a clinic if he ever came down here, it isn't useful to me personally because I do not desire a trained vaquero horse.
    It isn't about what style you ride. It's about the horsemanship. Buck has a very close relationship with Meredith Taylor, and is on first-name terms with George Morris. Buck also has a longtime student named Betty Staley who is a real-deal dressage rider.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us. I want to foxhunt.
    If you put that on a t-shirt or a poster (or just about anything), I'll buy one. You could remove the last sentence to appeal to a wider audience, but this made me laugh out loud and nod and grin. That's it exactly for me.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I Heart you, Martha Drum. I really, really Heart you.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

Still whipping this dead horse?????

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Still whipping this dead horse?????
    Still leading a 'strange' horse and calling it special????

5 members found this post helpful.

TBH I expected 7 to show up about 12 pages ago.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Still leading a 'strange' horse and calling it special????
    No, have no clue what you are babbling about... but aren't you special.

Wait, I thought 7 was the resident Parelli cheerleader/Voodoo head-priest? Or does he cover all the big-name "NH"-type magic-stick-shaker trainers?

Here we go!! Round 2. *Ding, ding!*

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    CA wouldn't know what to do with an athletic horse with a dynamic personality.
    Yeah he would... he would round pen it, round pen it, round pen it, back it up endlessly, fling his lead rope at it, stomp all over it's back, wave a chainsaw in it's face and basically work it until it had no dynamic personality and was too exhausted to be athletic.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    If you put that on a t-shirt or a poster (or just about anything), I'll buy one. You could remove the last sentence to appeal to a wider audience, but this made me laugh out loud and nod and grin. That's it exactly for me.
    I definitely want this t-shirt and then I want to wear it to the next NH clinic that comes to town, where in all other ways I will audit respectfully. Mostly.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I'd buy that t-shirt. Maybe with the last line "I want to jump stuff."

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Yeah he would... he would round pen it, round pen it, round pen it, back it up endlessly, fling his lead rope at it, stomp all over it's back, wave a chainsaw in it's face and basically work it until it had no dynamic personality and was too exhausted to be athletic.
    When I first read this, I thought maybe you were being a little over the top. But no, not really. From what I'm reading, this is the go-to method of dealing with any horse with any sort of quirk or basic personality. I was looking at some pictures of a NH clinic. Honestly, with my western/cowgirl background, my first thoughts were 'circus training'. This is what it has come to.

Default Yes the horse died

I checked at Clintons web site as soon as I saw the FB post. At that time there was a post by Clinton himself, and he admitted the horse died, and that he had offered the woman a free horse trained by one of his clinicians, but she refused. He seemed irritated that she didnt take him up on it. I dont know about you, but if a beloved animal of mine dies unexpectedly, the last thing I want is a replacement. I need time to accept & grieve. None of this is what I have a problem with. Clintons post was extremely rude and nasty. Not just to the owner of the Friesian, but to all that were concerned. At some point, someone must have told him that he made a huge mistake in his post, because it is no longer there. I'll never think the same way about him.

Thanks, Martha Drum -- you made my day with your post!

Default Finally Found Clintons Post

Statement from Clinton regarding Academy Horse incident

By Clinton Anderson28. March 2013 11:27

First of all, this is nobody's business other than mine and the horse's owner. If people would pay more attention to their own lives, their own horses and their own problems, the world would be a much better place. But there are too many looky-lous and sticky beaks that want to stick their nose in and stir up trouble when there's no trouble to be stirred up.

#1 People need to get a grip on themselves. Animals die. Humans die. It's called life. In fact, there's this bumper sticker that was invented that says "s*** happens." People put it on the back of their bumpers because that's what happens in life. It's called s*** and it happens. Sometimes it's somebody's fault, but a lot of times it's nobody's fault. Again, it's referred to as s*** happens.

#2 It's unfortunate that the horse died. Reality is we don't know how he died because the owner didn't want to get an autopsy. Horses die at my ranch. Yes, it's called life. We have 60 horses on the ranch, we have dogs and we even have cats. In fact, we had a cat fight in the barn last week, and one of them died. Shocking, yes. It's called life. Animals die. Yes, even Clinton Anderson's animals die. It's called life. I know this is shocking to know that as good as I am and as popular as I am and as famous as I am, my animals don't live forever either. Holy s*** , I must be human. For any moron that's getting his panties in a wad because a horse died at Clinton Anderson's ranch, get a life.

#3 It's unfortunate that the owner had to go and start this whole fire because I'm the one that has to go put it out. I've apologized to the owner; it's not my fault the horse died. It's not the owner's fault the horse died either. We don't know how it died. We believe it had something to do with either a brain aneurism or a heart attack because it died extremely quickly and there was no struggling involved. Reality is it was the owner's choice not to get an autopsy - she didn't want to get one.

I apologized to the owner; in fact, I've spoken with her on three separate occasions about this subject. We sent the owner flowers and we refunded all of the owner's money. I did everything I possibly could. In fact, I even offered the owner a Signature Horse free of charge. I went above and beyond to try to help her through the grieving process. A Signature Horse, with all its training, is worth $25,000. She declined the Signature Horse because she said the horse was too small. I had a horse picked out for her that was 14.1 hands high, and she didn't feel like a horse 14.1 hands high was worth having even though it was free and is worth $25,000. Just for the record, the lady is 5'9" and I'm 5'11", Mindy is 14.1. I rode Mindy in front of millions of people for 15 years and never had one email or comment that said I looked too big on Mindy. Just to set the record straight. But she didn't want the Signature Horse - no problem whatsoever. Since she didn't want the Signature Horse, I offered her the opportunity to send another horse to the ranch for the six-week program and we'd train it free of charge. Again, I went above and beyond to take care of a grieving customer.

I bent over backwards to take care of her needs, and now I'm having to fix this kind of bulls*** and I'm tired of it. So reality is if you think your horse is going to live forever, you're an idiot. Do we do everything in our power to take care of animals on the ranch? Yes, we do. The reality is every once in a while it keeps coming back to that bumper sticker "s*** happens." So people, get a life, get out of business that doesn't involve you and start focusing on your horsemanship and your own lives. When people start doing that, they'll have a lot more success with their horses, a lot more fun and a lot less drama. If it sounds like I'm irritated and I'm cranky about this, I am. All we've done is taken an unfortunate situation and turned it into circus and absolute mess. It didn't have to go this direction. This is my statement and this whole subject is done after this