The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IIIBarsV View Post
    And if any one has seen Clinton's video on youtube about "problem horses" (the one with the bay horse chasing someone around a roundbale feeder, the broncs, and the black mare who flips due to reaction to pain caused by Clinton pushing back hard on a Tom Thumb bit when she got in his face, the same one who pulls back when loaded and tied into a deathtr--- excuse me, 2 horse straight load bumper pull with 7 ft wheel base)---- well, let's just say I've had horses who were absolutely more dangerous that ANY horse seen on that video, and have never felt the need to beat, pound, starve, truss up, or dehydrate a single one of them.
    Here it is.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

He really wasn't doing anything outrageous to the horse that rears and flips over. I don't really see him doing anything outrageous to any of the horses on that video. What the horses were doing before he stepped in was outrageous though.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

11 members found this post helpful.

First, FKF, I'm very sorry for your loss. That must have been a devastating phone call to receive.

I wasn't really aware, until this thread, that CA had a ranch that took in horses for training. I'm surprised he has so many applicants that he must interview. One would think most people would rather use someone local with a proven track record among people one knew.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    First, FKF, I'm very sorry for your loss. That must have been a devastating phone call to receive.

I wasn't really aware, until this thread, that CA had a ranch that took in horses for training. I'm surprised he has so many applicants that he must interview. One would think most people would rather use someone local with a proven track record among people one knew.

nah, it's much cooler to say your horse was trained at CA's place.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    it's much cooler to say your horse was trained at CA's place.
    And they don't "know" the local trainers usually (or won't get to know them or have heard "bad" things about them) but they "know" Clinton. Surely, their horse will be safe with Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    nah, it's much cooler to say your horse was trained at CA's place.
    Heh, after what I've seen lately from some of his vids, if I were in the market for a trained horse, I'd probably want to knock off some of the price due to this 'training'. Sort of like someone else's 'training'. I now wouldn't give much of a plugged nickel because I'd have to redo and fix some major holes in the horse.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

As for CA contracting a necropsy on his dime....it wasn't his horse, and unless the owner signed something specifically granting him permission, that could open a whole 'nother can of worms.

While I am decidedly not a CA fan, I'd guess his "horses die here" comment is more a reflection of "sure, it's possible for a horse to die while it's here...just like they can die somewhere else" rather than "a percentage of horses coming through the program will die".

I thought his initial response, now gone, was over the top and shouldn't have been published as any sort of professional response. However, it wasn't unlike what a lot of folks post here when confronted with fruitbats and majikal butterfly farting, rainbow eating psychic hairball horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

Somehow, I fell into a COTH wormhole - yet again, and ended up at another TX trainwreck -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bavska+Granger

Whew! I have a draft cross that I would love to send off to "fat camp" while I focus on my older / hard keeping / heaves / anhydrosis / arthritic mare. But, COTH has managed to put the fear of dog in me on that topic.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Did anyone see the ride CA put on Rugged Lark at his retirement ceremony? I'm surprised Mrs. Harris herself didn't stop the show in the middle of his ride. Lark was clearly upset.

I didn't see it in person but it was played during the end credits of the Rugged Lark: His Finest Days DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfforgettable View Post
    As for CA contracting a necropsy on his dime....it wasn't his horse, and unless the owner signed something specifically granting him permission, that could open a whole 'nother can of worms.

While I am decidedly not a CA fan, I'd guess his "horses die here" comment is more a reflection of "sure, it's possible for a horse to die while it's here...just like they can die somewhere else" rather than "a percentage of horses coming through the program will die".

I thought his initial response, now gone, was over the top and shouldn't have been published as any sort of professional response. However, it wasn't unlike what a lot of folks post here when confronted with fruitbats and majikal butterfly farting, rainbow eating psychic hairball horses.
    Idle observation: Usually a trainer has you sign a release of liability when you send them your horse; what did this one say? If he had care, custody & control insurance they might have paid for the necropsy and then made a settlement.
    If the owner of this horse was an ammie, I'd cut them a lot more slack all the way around, but if they're claiming to be any kind of professional operation (breeding, selling, training etc.) they should have known enough to cover themselves.

The other part that's a head-scratcher is, at the time the horse (unsuccessfully-backed 7-year old who had hurt people) was sent to CA, his monetary value was essentially "nil." Whatever one might think of CA's training methods, he DID offer them a horse of around $25,000.00 + value to make it right, which is sure going above and beyond the call in my book. Now any "pro" worth their 1040's should have JUMPED at the chance to make sweet lemonade out of a very sour situation indeed. It could have been plain bad luck, and I can't fault the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The other part that's a head-scratcher is, at the time the horse (unsuccessfully-backed 7-year old who had hurt people) was sent to CA, his monetary value was essentially "nil." Whatever one might think of CA's training methods, he DID offer them a horse of around $25,000.00 + value to make it right, which is sure going above and beyond the call in my book. Now any "pro" worth their 1040's should have JUMPED at the chance to make sweet lemonade out of a very sour situation indeed. It could have been plain bad luck, and I can't fault the trainer.
    This very thing has been niggling at me also. Or maybe he was trying to head all this off at the pass, when she took to FB, it went out of control.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I would never. ever. ever. never ever ever send any horse of mine to any one where I am not allowed or even encouraged to visit it at any time. I dont care if it's George Freakin Morris. If my horse is there and I'm paying the bills, I'll come see it and check on it any time I like.
    That should have been the first red flag for this whack job right there.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    yes. I was there. It should be said that K. and I were not acquainted even online and I had gone with a horse girl friend mostly to visit with the Purina District Guy (rusty) as we were still Gold Dealers for them back then and the dog and pony show was not of any interest to me, but the trade show and old friends were....
    OMG, horrendous! Had CA done anything to provoke the horse or p*ss it off previously?

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    OMG, horrendous! Had CA done anything to provoke the horse or p*ss it off previously?
    He systematically provoked and bullied the horse. The attack did not take place on the first day. The horse just had enough of CA and found an opportunity to retaliate.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

He used every pool noodle, chain saw, boat buoy, Mounted Shooter pistol, leaf blower, and splint boot in the county. His splint boots had little pieces of pool noodle flapping from them, for cripes sake. He had spoken many times over the course of Friday and Saturday about the little horse- saying how KIND and EASY this little horse was, such a NICE horse, will make a nice ladies or child's horse.

Until that sweet, kind,trying little horse had enough.

4 members found this post helpful.

I tried to watch the video on this page but couldn't finish it once CA started jabbering. I love the way that they edit it to make him out like he's a WWF hero with rock music and scenes of "crazy" horses. The man is an egomaniac - not even close to being a good personality to work with horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Idle observation: Usually a trainer has you sign a release of liability when you send them your horse; what did this one say? If he had care, custody & control insurance they might have paid for the necropsy and then made a settlement.
    If the owner of this horse was an ammie, I'd cut them a lot more slack all the way around, but if they're claiming to be any kind of professional operation (breeding, selling, training etc.) they should have known enough to cover themselves.

My thoughts re: necropsy, was that the owner said no. What she would have said had he offered to pay for it, we'll never know. However, since she said no necropsy, he could have gotten in a boatload of trouble had it been done anyway on his...or the insurance company's dime.

And you bet she should have taken the horse he offered and been glad to have it, even if she resold it. That would have been the smart move to make...she could have resold it and bought a fully trained, black majikal Fresian with the proceeds. I agree that the horse she sent him had no real-world value in the condition it was in when she sent it to CA. Its value was in being a majikal hairy black horse...unlike the fully-trained-yet-ordinary horse she was offered that actually had value, even if only for resale. He bent over backwards to accommodate. And she was nuts for refusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I would never. ever. ever. never ever ever send any horse of mine to any one where I am not allowed or even encouraged to visit it at any time. I dont care if it's George Freakin Morris. If my horse is there and I'm paying the bills, I'll come see it and check on it any time I like.
    Yeah, that would've been a huge deal-breaker for me, too.

Although, my trainer says that she's run into problems with owners coming to watch. So often, the problem the owner thinks s/he has is the symptom of a bigger underlying hole in the basics. (Kind of like when I taught school, and I was supposed to prepare the little darlings for their standardized algebra tests when they couldn't do arithmetic yet.) So when the owner, who leaves a horse who has trouble performing something more advanced, sees my trainer working on something very basic s/he sometimes complains, "But he already knows that!" Still, she's always encouraged me to come watch and learn.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Somehow, I fell into a COTH wormhole - yet again, and ended up at another TX trainwreck -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bavska+Granger
    That is one long thread. I'm on page 37 with no end in sight. Anybody know how it ends?

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    That is one long thread. I'm on page 37 with no end in sight. Anybody know how it ends?
    Sonesta posted an update on the last page
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing