The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

A great trainer I know says training horses is easy, but training their owners requires considerable skill.

I have "sent a horse off to training" once. He was so different from any other horse I had ever worked with that I was worried that I didn't have the skill or experience to start him under saddle without risking messing him up. Of course, "sent off" is relative - I drove by the place I sent him to every day on my way to and from work.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think the lady is whacked.
    I would guess CA is not at fault for the death of the horse.
    I think CA's response sucks.

It is not an autopsy. It is a necropsy. Sigh.
    This x 1,000,000,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I always thought it was autopsy because one species was performing it on the same species. Necropsies are performed by one species on a different species. So if a horse did it to another horse it would be an autopsy!
    That's how I've always understood it.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Anything with the word "squaw" in it. Locally, a road's name was changed to drop that word. It's now "Bliss Road".
    Hey...I might know you! Bliss Rd. (formerly Squaw Flat Rd.) is right around the corner from me! PM me your name?
    Life is short. Ride your best horse first.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Would I send my horse to a trainer who said I couldn't see it for 6 weeks..Hells no,
    Buuuutttt Magikal fairytale lady KNEW that was his practice, I am sure she read his website, and most likely signed a contract stating all of the stuff on his page. If she didn't like it, she shouldn't have sent him there.
    Ummm... well.... it's not like she was, you know, out of 'touch' with the horse... She could communicate with him through her dreams.... so...

3 members found this post helpful.

Wrong wrong, who ties a horse to graze and low..., Friesians are known for long necks & high. Forcing a long neck horse to a short lead is crazy and not training, but cruel. Poor thing, I can only imagine what this young guy had to face. Big name trainer even need to re-evaluate their programs and adjust, fix......death s/b uncommon, not normal in any training program OR the program is not a success

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I saw an update where she offers more explanation. She now says CA "told [her] he had been tied out low to graze for two hours. When the academy student came back to get him he was laying down and was dead."

That stinks. Whatever the situation, losing a horse is awful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    Wrong wrong, who ties a horse to graze and low..., Friesians are known for long necks & high. Forcing a long neck horse to a short lead is crazy and not training, but cruel. Poor thing, I can only imagine what this young guy had to face. Big name trainer even need to re-evaluate their programs and adjust, fix......death s/b uncommon, not normal in any training program OR the program is not a success
    Known for long necks?
    Not so's I've noticed...
    Mostly they seem known for vast quantities of hair....
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    *Ahem* here in KY we have many many 17th and 18th century place names using knob. For an example my MIL used to live off of Bald Knob road. It refers to a promontory, a slightly higher hill, and most hills around here are worn down and rounded, so, Knob.

One can also find lick as a place name, usually refers to a creek and probably came from creeks that tendd to have salt deposits so there is Salt Lick, Paint Lick, and three guesses for the last one.

Sorta bad when there's sniggering and giggling during a geography lesson.
    My favorite is Big Bone Lick State Park. It's sad, but I giggle every time I drive past that exit.

EDIT: Oops, should've scrolled down to the next post. What Alagirl said.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Yes, they can over heat quicker than others. I wonder if they just consider each, regardless of breed or condition, is treated equal.... In training approach. Or do they tailor to fit the specific horse.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Known for long necks?
    Not so's I've noticed...
    Mostly they seem known for vast quantities of hair....

It's amazing the things I've learned on COTH.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    Yes, they can over heat quicker than others. I wonder if they just consider each, regardless of breed or condition, is treated equal.... In training approach. Or do they tailor to fit the specific horse.....
    What does hyperthermia have to do with a long neck?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Ghazzu, I think it was your reference to all the hair...so she has moved from necks to hair.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Excellent point. A large majority of the time, it’s the owner that needs the boot camp, not the horse. It usually is the owner that has allowed bad behavior to continue until it becomes a problem. It is the owner that does not have the skills or knowledge to school the horse and train / reinforce proper behavior.

Also, do these horse owners think you train a horse once, and it sticks forever? Most horses quickly realize that the owner does not know what they are doing, and revert to their naughty habits – unless the owner actually has the skills needed to make every ride count, and stay consistent with the training the horse received.

I have NEVER “sent a horse off to training” but I have ridden in more lessons that I can estimate. Never really understood this mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    A great trainer I know says training horses is easy, but training their owners requires considerable skill.

CA does have the owners come in at the end and they spend time making sure the owner knows what the horse has been taught and how to work with them through his method.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Do we know it was the first time it was hobbled?
    I would doubt it was just hobbled for the first time and left alone. CA has a DVD all on hobble training and I've seen a short course of it. He says that it is not something to just start off with, that you need to put other ground work into them first. From what I've seen they start out just doing it for a short period of time and supervised then once the horse seems to understand they move on to other methods. I believe he's talked about using it to for longer periods for turnout as well. The video I saw they start out with single leg hobbles, then side hobbles (front and back leg on the same side) and finally the use the hobbles that go on the front two legs. I think they even might use the side hobbles together with that, I can't remember. I will say, when I first heard him talk about hobble training I was against it, but after watching the video, it was very interesting and I can see the benefits of doing it. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable doing it myself, however.

Quote Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
    My favorite is Big Bone Lick State Park. It's sad, but I giggle every time I drive past that exit.

EDIT: Oops, should've scrolled down to the next post. What Alagirl said.
    I was born on Seymour-Johnson AFB. That name has always cracked me up.

Oh, and someone mentioned earlier how "fanny" is not a word to throw around in the UK. It refers to the opposite side of the anatomy we Yanks use the word for. Or, as the Brits also call it, the "front bottom".

Yep.... Bottom line, wrong and endless questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Ghazzu, I think it was your reference to all the hair...so she has moved from necks to hair.

Quote Originally Posted by BensMama View Post
    Hey...I might know you! Bliss Rd. (formerly Squaw Flat Rd.) is right around the corner from me! PM me your name?
    Welp, I don't mean to be rude but I like my anon on here. If you are on the local FB site or the OR one, we'll probably 'see' each other. Once you've been around a bit and read others probs with some other members, you'll what I mean. So, I'm pretty determined to stay out of the limelight, except for saying I'm in Orygun. Hope you understand.

As for the horse overheating a bit more, could it be due to the color? Dark skin? Lots of hair, mane??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    My observation is that CA believes hard work does not hurt a horse.

A good horseman knows where conditioning work or training sessions should stop and allow the horse to recover.

A good horseman also knows when heat inversion or mental melt-down is imminent.

A good horseman also takes steps to mitigate those possible situations.
    Water, bathing, walking a horse until heart and temp return to normal are all part of good horsemanship trainng.

Do accidents happen and horses die even where intelligent care and proper conditioning is carried out? Sometimes.

Creating circumstances that predispose to 'accidents' is a whole different scenario: sort of like throwing novice drivers in a factory sportscar and telling them to take deadman's curve at 65 mph -because seasoned racing drivers in modified and tuned machines can do it at 90.

And I am saddened that the owner appeared to want the 'gumption' taken out of her horse by aggressive exhaustion means, she knows so little about training animals if she feels this is going to give her a tractable, willing horse SHE can handle. Fairyland, indeed.
    Where is the boot camp for owner/riders to get fit and learn to manage their horses?
    Exactly - I think CA us using the logic that "all animals die" almost as a defense. Well, of course they do, but how many of us have had training related accidents that have killed a horse? It rarely happens, but would you advertise it on your website as though there's a good chance that it might die, so be prepared? I have watched him work horses way past melt down, and he thinks it's leaned something, but it's simply too exhausted to react the way it wants to.

I know someone who worships the ground CA walks on and she recently told me she had her horse do a 30 mile trail ride without ANY conditioning. The fact that it didn't die, to her, means it's okay - that reminded me so much of CA. It breaks my heart for her horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Default This Thread Delivers!

Just sorry that there had to be a dead horse involved.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    "Like if you love Jesus! Ignore if you support Satan!"
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNag View Post
    Ok visited the Facebook page and this woman seems a little coo coo for coconuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Too much majikal farting butterflies for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    you don't just trust that there is a dead friesian in a hole somewhere in Texas...
    Isn't that a Merle Haggard song?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    This person is a loon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    For a Majikal Friesian, there is the cost of 1 horse necropsy, plus the necropsy of 743 Butterflies, and 1 Fairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
    Not everyone with a Friesian is crazy!
    Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    That woman is definitely three flakes shy of a bale.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Fairy Knob Farm Would you like some crazy to go with your Majikal cup of coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Ever "allow" horses to "actually" die? In contrast to what, pretend die?
    Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Oh yeah, get me on the waitlist for a mutt foal from her farm. And she says she loves to grow and use herbs. I'll bet she does.....
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Are we sure this isn't a munchausen by internet case?
    Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    That chick is cray-cray.
    Who is the lady doing the belly scratch and who is the purple fairy?

Couldn't we at least braid his mane full of fairy flowers and get a few snaps of him playing dress up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Doubtful.... Cray cray peeps don't care about stuff like oh, you know, genetic health when it has HAIR and is so SPESHUL!! This horse communicated with her telepathicly through her dreams. I'm sure he would have communicated the fact that he wanted to keep his junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    The 14.1 hand horse probably would have been perfect for her, but not majikal. Probably not even black.
    Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    This whole thing just screams crazy from every rooftop.

And, CA should not be taking PR advice from the likes of Mel Gibson.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Crank away toward nasty people who have never done you a good turn.
    The thought of the Big name himself at his home or office computer scrolling through the fairy pictures...

oh the humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Lady is a crazy loon, and CA is a narcissistic ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Is anyone else just amused that his ranch is the DUH Ranch?
    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    He's a jerk, she's a moron, but he's made a blooming FORTUNE at the DUH school of horsemanship. Mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I mean no disrespect for the lady's loss but what is a Fairy Knob?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    It does conjure up an x-rated image of little naked guy fairies! (Well, it does to me, anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    And how come it's called necrophilia and not autophilia? Inquiring minds...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Big Bone Lick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    We have a Bald Knob Rd here too. I always giggle a little bit when we drive past it. I swear I'm an adult....really.

Did anybody else scroll down to the story in which Fairy Knob gives the Doc at Texas A&M a hard time

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Beaverlick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    There's a Deepwood Drive on the way to the barn and I get the giggles from that. I would certainly chuckle about Bald Knob and Beaver Lick.
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    There's also Grandpa's Knob in VT. Just ewwwww.
    Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    It's amazing the things I've learned on COTH.

11 members found this post helpful.

Well, somebody has mastered the multi-quote post! ....I've been here for ages and still don't have a clue how to use it!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Well, somebody has mastered the multi-quote post! ....I've been here for ages and still don't have a clue how to use it!
    Somebody has no life on a Friday night

trubandloki explained the multi-quote thing in Post #80 on this thread! It SO delivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    Just sorry that there had to be a dead horse involved.

Isn't that a Merle Haggard song?

Hmmmm

Are you sure you didn't do it?

now THAT'S an impressive amount of quotes!

Record?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.