The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That one was fun, but I forgot at the brush before the water that Toby. Does. Not. Brush. So, we got a little bit of a flyer AND he jumped OVER the top of the brush...then landed very going (weee!!!! Water!!!!). I rearranged his molars a little bit because I was NOT going to get wet at our first event of the season.

I was SO proud of him at the half coffin and the trakhner. He was a total pro at both, especially for it being the first event of the season. And our show jumping was SUPER!

was this Susan G-W? She is TOUGH. Every time I rode the big man for her she gave him 4s for all his walk work. It can get lateral, I know that, but I know how to prevent it mostly, and she is the ONLY judge I have ever gotten a 4 from for his walk work. And I get it every time. All walk marks. sigh.

Side note, I am SO JEALOUS of all of you getting out and competing! After a fall of NQR and a winter of walk rehabbing, it seems very far away...
    although...
    somewhat less far away now that I have MY NEW PONY!! It'll take a while for us to get out there, given the fact that I haven't so much as cantered except trying sale horses in 5 months but, get out there, we will!!!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Side note - that downhill brush fence onXC? Holy moly. Admittedly, it's been 5 years since I last went Training (old man is stepping down for awhile due to his rider's overly busy non-horse life), but that thing looked and rode like stuff I've regularly seen on Prelim courses! Fun course though, all in all, and Morven always does a really nice job.
    That downhill brush is VERY DELIBERATELY placed to force the riders to get the horse organized/rebalanced before the half coffin. Without it, a lot of horse would get to the half coffin running on the forehand.

It ususally rides pretty well.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Follow up.

This was Belle's first HT in 5 years, and now she is going to be out for a while.

She was overly excited about X country and, at 17, developed a bad case of start-box-itis. Once out of the start box she wanted to RUNNN on her forehand. It took me bout 10 strides to get her rebalanced for fence 2, which was a serious oxer. She jumped it fine, but I had to keep her to Novice speed to keep her balanced, except when there were long distances between the fences. This was particularly frustrating becuse I can usually rebalance her just by shifting my weight(including XC schooling last weekend).

But she did jump everything clear, incuding jumping OVER the brush before the log into the water, and the Trakhener(she has a history of sometimes taking exception to them). She finished feeling ready to do it again.

I put the ice boots on for 20 minutes, then took them off, and took out her studs. I noticed that her left fron tfoot was a liitle warmer than the others. Looking more closely, there was some edema (which pitted) between the cannon bone and the tendon on that leg, and that area had dried out, while the other legs were still damp. That is the leg that has had previous problems, and is excluded from insurance.

On the way home, I picked up a bag of ice. I iced the foot, and put the ice boot back on that leg for another half hour. I jogged her and she was perfectly sound.

None the less I decided that this was a time to call the vet, even though it was a holiday weekend, rather than taking a "wait and see" approach. The vet said to put an Uptite poultice on the leg, and that he would come at 10 on Sunday (which ended up being a $110 emergency surchrge).

When he got there , the edema had reduced significantly, but she was now definitely lame.

The sonogram showed that the check ligament had "strectched" (but not actually torn).

So it is poulice every day for 5 days, and then approximately a month of stall rest. But the long term prognosos is good.

The vet said that, in this kind of injury, getting the poultice on within 24 hours of the injury makes a big difference in the healing, by preventing the formation of scar tissue. So I am VERY glad I did not wait.

I am, of course, bitterly disappointed. By the time she is fit again, it is quite likely the ground will be too hard (I won't run her on hard ground becauseof previous foot problems), so she probably won't event again until the fall.

But hopfully she will come back strong, and the fall will have enough rain to soften the footing.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Oh Janet. I'm sorry to hear that - that stinks!! Glad that the prognosis is good though, and fingers crossed that she'll come back to herself.

Sorry to hear of her injury -- you posted on my Check ligament thread so you know I'm going through the same thing.

My horse is still not lame and after two weeks of wrapping, ice, poultice and rest, he looked pretty good but you could still feel a slight thickening around his tendon. It was an injury that could easily have gotten overlooked and I'm glad I had the vet out for a definitive diagnosis.

It's amazing how often horses hurt themselves on a day when there's an emergency charge!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Sorry to hear that, Janet. That is really disappointing.

If I may make a suggestion - In the 2nd Walter Zettle DVD (not in the main DVD) but the 2nd DVD that shows clinic rides, there is a woman riding a black horse, a friesian maybe, that really shows the progression of a lengthening. They collect the horse and really coil him then they just let him out. It is just awesome to watch. I've tried the exercise with my mare and it works well for her. Something that you may want to watch. This is just my opinion. I can watch that ride over and over.