The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Manure Delivery

I searched some threads on here about getting rid of manure and took one posters suggestion about advertising on craigslist. one lady wants me to deliver manure about 15-20 miles from my farm. She is willing to come to me and pay first but I'm not sure what to charge her for delivery?

Any suggestions?

I'm offering the manure for free if picked up at my farm, however, want to be compensated for my time and gas for delivery. We are in Loudoun County, VA if that makes a difference....thanks!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Default depends on how bad yoy want it out of there and..

who has to off load it if you don't have a dump truck/trailer.

If I didn't have to touch it after, I'd charge $1/mile just like hauling a horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't asked that question yet... I would ask them to though I think... I still have to load it, but I have a tractor for that and I'm not charging the folks who come get it with their own truck to load it. I'm happy to get rid of it, but it is time.

thanks for the suggestion...I'll map it out..
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Just make sure $1 a mile really covers your fuel and time. 15 to 20 minutes could mean 10 miles, will $10 really cover driving there and back plus any time waiting while someone unloads?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm a harda$$, we have several large trucks and everybody always expects us to do the driving, gets old! charge from the second you crank the tractor to the time you pull back in the driveway from making the delivery, and then Charge per gallon price on gas if they really are only 10 miles away it will most likely be only a gallons worth, our old 2500 Suburban gets 10 mpg so you are charging more for your time than gas, yes make sure you know who is unloading and that they should be there when you get there, you are doing them a favor, they can always borrow a friends truck and come get it themselves. I know you are trying to get rid of the manure but your time is worth something, I would say $30-50 depending on how long you have to wait for the unload if you can't dump. Sorry grumpy day
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Totally agree with SPF10 and I'm not even grumpy Chances are high that they'll end up inconveniencing you more than it's worth. Assuming they work full time, will they want you to drive your loaded truck in rush hour traffic to meet them after work? How much of your weekend are you willing to waste while they unload by hand?
    What I'd do? Call a couple local trucking companies who have dump truck capabilities and get a quote to haul it. Then add like 50% to that amount and that's your quote. If they say no thanks, you can helpfully offer them the names of a trucking company who might be able to do it for less. I really think the only way this works is if the delivery truck has dump capability, so it can be delivered quickly and at any time.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

We offer ours for free if they want to shovel it themselves, and charge $10 per load if they want us to fill up their truck bed with the front loader.

OP, that stuff is heavy! Make sure they have a way to unload it at the other end. Don't get talked into unloading it for them with a shovel unless you really charge the right price and have a strong back.

We don't deliver it because it's just a pain. You never know what you'll get into at the other end.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Just do free at your farm only. You'll never be able to charge, and get, what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinTiersHorse View Post
    We offer ours for free if they want to shovel it themselves, and charge $10 per load if they want us to fill up their truck bed with the front loader.

OP, that stuff is heavy! Make sure they have a way to unload it at the other end. Don't get talked into unloading it for them with a shovel unless you really charge the right price and have a strong back.

We don't deliver it because it's just a pain. You never know what you'll get into at the other end.
    Exactly! And my experience was in the same part of the country.

OP, the real PITA here is shoveling out the truck bed. In your spot, I'd do what I could to avoid this.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I took a load over to a friend's house, she is at my barn 4 days a week and did not even think that neighbors would be interested upon seeing us unload into the yard, so had no answer for how much it would be to buy. It was free for my friend, she has earned by way of barn work!

I decided $80 delivered, they unload into the yard.

The fact that my friend's yard looks amazing after one application, with a clear green line where the common area starts might actually sell a load or two.

There is a farm almost next door that sells it for $15/tractor scoop. I put 3 big scoops into my truck. Then there is my time, fuel and wear and tear.

I just saw an add in this area (north FL) for someone who will come and get your manure for $45 (you pay him) a load. Now you know he's gonna turn around and sell it so he's getting paid twice. Might be worth it to someone in an urban setting who needs to get rid of the manure.

I wouldn't bother delivering unless I was getting big $$.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

We're getting a break in board because DH is doing the last half of stall cleaning and shoveling it into our pickup to take home. No way in He!! was she going to load his truck for him and her usual is to spread it in one or the other pasture so no manure pile. This worked for him, he got the manure, and for her, less pitching and more time for other things. We're only getting a break though, not really really cheap. I cannot imagine that she would go to the trouble of loading her own truck and taking the stuff somewhere, unless she had her stall mucker do it as part of his already paid duties. There's no real incentive.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible