The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CO Helmet.. doesn't fit anymore :(

I bought a CO helmet back in Jan 2011. It used to fit PERFECTLY, didn't move a single centimeter when my head bobbed. But, it was used by someone twice at the barn with a bigger head and now it is no longer molded to my head anymore

I REALLLLYY do not want to spend another $300 on a helmet that hasn't taken any sort of beating (my last fall didn't result in my head hitting the ground) and has hardly been used for a full year since I had an ankle injury that took well over a year to recover until I could ride.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I bought it from Dover and I know they have a money back anytime, any reason and the online sales associate said I could return it to the store, but it would be up to the manager/supervisor to decide if I could receive an exchange.
    I love my helmet and its the only helmet that fits my head shape (I've tried pretty much every helmet on at Dover). But I want it to fit without paying another $300 (and lesson learned!! no one uses my helmet again!!)

I personally would just buy a new one, as painful as it was, and suck it up to a lesson learned. Would big headed borrower be in the market, since they stretched it out? Maybe you could recoup some $$ by selling it.

I would not take it back to Dover. I personally feel it is an abuse of their generous return policy for a mistake that had nothing to do with product problems but an oversight in judgement on my part.

7 members found this post helpful.

CO helmets stretch. I was warned when I bought mine. They sell inexpensive disposable inserts you can use. I don't even know they're there, and I like that they keep the helmet fresh.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    I personally would just buy a new one, as painful as it was, and suck it up to a lesson learned. Would big headed borrower be in the market, since they stretched it out? Maybe you could recoup some $$ by selling it.

I would not take it back to Dover. I personally feel it is an abuse of their generous return policy for a mistake that had nothing to do with product problems but an oversight in judgement on my part.
    Unfortunately the person who used it doesn't need a helmet.
    Would a person wearing a helmet just twice really be enough for a helmet to no longer mold correctly to mine?

Any suggestions on what I can use to help decrease the amount of movement in the helmet? As much as I would like to buy a new helmet, I have to wait a few weeks or so... college student and just took some time off of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    CO helmets stretch. I was warned when I bought mine. They sell inexpensive disposable inserts you can use. I don't even know they're there, and I like that they keep the helmet fresh.
    Does the inserts help keep the helmet in place? Could you include a link or the name of it? How does it work?

It may not be the person's fault - mine definitely stretched to the point where now it's my show helmet because it only fits w/ my hair stuffed into it, and no one's head but mine was in it!

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    It may not be the person's fault - mine definitely stretched to the point where now it's my show helmet because it only fits w/ my hair stuffed into it, and no one's head but mine was in it!
    That makes me feel a bit better (no offense!!). I didn't think someone wearing twice would make a difference since it took months for it to form to my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Thank you so much!!! That works so much better than buying a new helmet!

My latest CO started out so snug that I got a headache wearing it. (This was after I bought two that fit fine to start but got too loose within a month.)
    Now six months later it, too, is getting too loose.

Honestly, it is getting to be kind of a PITA with that brand, but nothing else fits my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdash1228 View Post
    Does the inserts help keep the helmet in place? Could you include a link or the name of it? How does it work?
    I bought mine at the Dover store in Delaware. They keep the helmet in place really well. I don't remember that they're called, and I won't get to the barn where I keep my stuff until Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    My latest CO started out so snug that I got a headache wearing it. (This was after I bought two that fit fine to start but got too loose within a month.)
    Now six months later it, too, is getting too loose.

Honestly, it is getting to be kind of a PITA with that brand, but nothing else fits my head.
    Yeah, that is the reason why I was in such a rut. I tried on GPA, IRH, everything. The only helmet that was even close to fitting my head was the CO AYR8. At least another poster was able to find the inserts that I am hoping will solve my problems.

I didn't realize how much they stretch when I got mine, and unfortunately the saleswoman didn't warn me when I went up a size (my normal size felt too tight). Mine's definitely feeling a little loose now. Going to have to persuade my husband to stop at Greenhawk tomorrow when we're in Canada so I can try the inserts...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Thank goodness I ran across this post. I cut my hair recently, and now my helmet slips forward constantly. I could't believe my 6 mo. old helmet would be worn out? I went back to using my super old GPA because it at least stayed put. I will invest in the helmet blocks to keep the CO snug. When I bought it, it fit super perfect.

you could add some bike helmet stuff or even a folded up paper towel at the back it will snug your helmet back up.just did this to mine and it is good now.
    mm

Quote Originally Posted by Kdash1228 View Post
    Yeah, that is the reason why I was in such a rut. I tried on GPA, IRH, everything. The only helmet that was even close to fitting my head was the CO AYR8. At least another poster was able to find the inserts that I am hoping will solve my problems.
    Nice to find out it was the helmet stretching, not your head shrinking, is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    THEY DO??? You mean I can get a new insert for my Pro skull cap that is beyond nasty?? REally?? Where?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I bought the insert too for my CO helmet. It definitively help. I remove it when I want to tuck my hair in and put it back in as needed. Works good.

Now thinking of glueing some memory foam pieces in from a carpet I have...

You do need to buy the CO helmets really tight...they do stretch. At least that's true with the skull caps.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

What I use is the Wicky Stick-it Helmet Liners, but it looks like you can't get them in the US anymore. I'm glad the person who sold me my last CO talked me into buying some ($1.99 for a package of 5), and I went back and got some more. They are made in the UK, and this is what they look like (from an Australian site) -

http://snaffleithorsesuppliescomau.m...duct_id=444092

They do look a bit like mini Kotex, don't they ?