The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Chancellor- When the mare puts her head up to look at something, the lead rope starts getting flapped in her face which makes her throw her head up and run backwards and pop up in mini-rears. Then she runs a line over the horses head (behind her ears) and downward pressure applied while moving the horses feet until Will 'gives'.
    If someone did that with my old TB, it would get very, very ugly & I'd I'd be pissed as hell. He's got a very shallow panic button, but it comes across sometimes as stubbornness or belligerence. Making him back that like and, worst of all, pressure over the poll would send him into full-blown panic and someone WOULD get hurt.

I hope, OP, that if you lay it all out for her as to why it's a bad idea for your mare the BO will respect your wishes. If not, then she shouldn't handle your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    What exactly IS she doing that you think is dangerous?
    BTW, someone suggested that all NH people want their horse to turn and face you. I have used NH techniques and I do NOT teach my horse this at all.
    I should not have implied that all NH teaches turn and look at you. I know some does. What I meant was that would be inappropriate for my horse.

Also, on the KHC insurance-it is excess liability, and there are a ton of exclusions. I figure it's a relatively small cost since I am joining an associated group (NKHN) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    If someone did that with my old TB, it would get very, very ugly & I'd I'd be pissed as hell. He's got a very shallow panic button, but it comes across sometimes as stubbornness or belligerence. Making him back that like and, worst of all, pressure over the poll would send him into full-blown panic and someone WOULD get hurt.

I hope, OP, that if you lay it all out for her as to why it's a bad idea for your mare the BO will respect your wishes. If not, then she shouldn't handle your horse.

I have a little SSH like this. He is the kindest, gentlest little horse. He knows just enough to carry my DH on any trail anywhere, Coors in hand and reins on slack. Any attempts at "NH"ing this horse worries him terribly- he just gets very easily overwhelmed. If something startles him and he periscopes his head, just ask him to come along and he will. Try to get him to 'face up and shake off' and it's going to break his heart. He'll think he's in huge trouble.

OP if your mare is too much for the average BO to handle, you need to make other arrangements. If the BO is fruity, you need to make other arrangements. I know horse owners who will say to your face 'my horses have excellent ground manners' while said horse roots at you like a pig and shoves their butt in your chest to 'scritch it'. If you own something like that horse- you're the fruity one

1 members found this post helpful.

Superminion - I sent you a PM. This type of barn owner was a disaster for my horse. Nothing short of getting him out of there solved the problem.

1. How do you know she isn't doing this with the TB?

2. If she won't listen to you about this, leave. The convenience of them being 4 miles away is nothing compared to peace of mind when they are in capable hands.

3. Kudos to you for trying to be diplomatic. Hang in there. Just be prepared to have a CTJ with the BO. I think the "let's take a walk together" idea is great. Show her, have her do it, and if she continues with her rope-waving, move on. I too can see this ending badly, quickly. You don't want Willow to have a nasty reputation as a flipper on the ground because of a sub-par BO.

Nope, I'd be saying the no-way-all-stop on this, Superminion.

I hate all that leadrope shaking, it pisses me off. And my DH does it. Not NH, just a cowboy thing he does to back horses off and it makes my teeth go on edge. My horse doesn't understand it all. A snatch on the leadrope if he is being a brat or his attention wanders? Fine. Snaking the rope and mystical dances? Eff that noise. Rory loses his biscuits.

If I can tell my DH to stop, you can tell the BO
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

While i would leave if someone is "training" my horse horse without my permission I would also consider other options.
    Having a hard to handle horse is restricting your options.
    Have you considered getting a trainer who specializes in specific behaviors coming out and training your horse to lead calmly? While he trains invite the BO to watch with you, so she can learn too.
    I imagine life would be easier on both you and the horse if he can master being lead calmly. This is not much different then having a horse who won't load on a trailer, sometimes it's worth it to reteach a specific skill.

Thanks y'all!

I chatted with her last night and it seemed to go well. I explained the reason why I wasn't okay with Willow being handled in that manner, and I wanted to make sure that everybody was on the same page. We went for a stroll around the property with me leading and BO observing. Will pulled some of her classic stop, stare, snort shenanigans and I handled her the way that I normally would. All was well, no lead rope shaking, flying backwards, etc. BO took a turn and seemed to grasp what I was saying. The mare was fine. Looked around at the new surroundings (I tried to push as many buttons I could think of while I was handling her) and then was happy to go for a stroll and have some new grass.

I also drew up a clause on my boarding contract that we both signed, stating that if the BO was hurt while handling the mare, I wasn't going to be held liable. We also talked about what I considered 'excessive' (unnecessary 'training' sessions, lead rope shaking, and the line over her head) work and I gave valid reasons why I didn't think that her method was working. No harm no foul.

I'm on the hunt for a trainer in our area, but just haven't had the time to go look and meet. It is on my list!

FWIW, Nobody has had any issues with Will at her old barns, beyond the normal sometimes looking at weird things stuff that horses pull. They are all confident, competent horse people, and Will DOES have manners, very good ones. I've had issues because I'm normally the one to push her out of her comfort zone and ask her to actually 'work' (the horror!) and people who are afraid of her will get taken advantage of.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think you handled this in the best way possible. It sounds like the BO just had a different idea of what you meant by addressing her behavior. She was using the tools she had to try and create a safe environment. Hopefully now that you have shown her how to properly correct Willow she will rely on those tools instead.

My mare was actually started by Clinton Anderson waaaay back in the day so she responds very well to being backed and asked to yield to poll pressure. I would trust any competent horse person to correct her in this manner but I can see how a horse not started NH would be very confused by this and may react unpredictably or explosively.

Our barn manager informed me that one of the other Parelli boarders instructed him to practice NH principles with my OTTB, because he gets uppity and makes snake-faces in his stall at feeding time. Just hearing that little rumor was enough to set me on edge... the day anyone pulls any NH crap with my horse without my permission, boarder/staff/otherwise, will be the day everyone meets a new brand of crazy.

(Fortunately our BM doesn't drink the Kool-Aid and never has any problems with my horse, who is probably the easiest horse in the barn to handle. So for now, it was just unsolicited advice.)

If you're confident your BO will respect your wishes, that's great. Personally, I would be highly suspicious re: what would be happening behind my back, but then again, I'm paranoid like that.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"