The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Carriage questions

About 5 years ago, we purchased a starter carriage and harness for a 15.0h QH/WB cross hony thinking he could have a job in combined driving. We never got past long lining in the harness with his training ... he never tolerated the harness and was difficult in most aspects of his training, so we nixed that idea.

We now have a never been used carriage that is too small for a 16.2 h horse, which most of ours are. What is a good avenue for selling or trading this carriage?

I would love a recommendation on what we should get. I am just beginning work with a mare that has about 2 years training under saddle but took a break to have a baby. She is brave, quiet, and willing to learn. She has been ridden on our baby cross country course and was bold to the water, bank, grob, etc. My goal with her would be CDE and hopefully she will shine. We will see.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I think most would agree that a two wheeled cart of some sort is the safest for breaking a horse to drive. Four wheeled carriages or wagons are for broke driving horses. So you need different a different vehicle for breaking a horse than you will need for competing in a CDE.

I am from "Saddlebred land" and everything gets broke to drive in a jog cart, and thereafter all exercise driving (jogging) is done with the jog carts. I know some carriage driving and CDE folk use jog carts for the same purpose; breaking horses to drive and when driving in indoor arenas to exercise horses as larger carts and carriages just aren't practical sometimes. Jog cart examples http://www.pennsburyenterprises.com/...bredcarts.html or http://www.jeraldsulky.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=47

Some people prefer to start horses in larger heavier breaking cart. Breaking carts are like stripped down road carts and they usually have measures that allow you to enter/exit the vehicle quickly, such as not having a back on the seat so you can hop in/out from the back if needed, and having smaller wheels than road cart may have. Example here http://www.shadylanewagons.com/carts.html

Jog carts and breaking carts are "one size fits most". They are designed to fit in general the type of horse they are built for, be it horse, draft or pony. Worries that you have with heavier or larger carts about the shafts being level and balancing the load are irrelevant (jog carts are usually built with angled, drop heel shafts).

If you send your horse to a trainer that starts driving horses they should have their own jog cart or breaking cart for starting horses.

Great, thanks! Yes, we plan to do the starter work with her here and than to a trainer to finish.
    Visit us on facebook!

There is a FB group- Carriage Driving Classifieds also the CD-L list has lots of for sale and wanted ads.

Thanks so much!
    Visit us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    There is a FB group- Carriage Driving Classifieds also the CD-L list has lots of for sale and wanted ads.
    That is what I was going to suggest.

As an aside....my Hanoverian combined driving horse was at your place when Drew Callahan was there.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Really? Very cool! We enjoyed having Drew here and it was so much fun watching him work with the driving horses.
    Visit us on facebook!

Hi- Try the CDL list- its a board from Dartmouth, and is chock FULL of driving folks.
    CD-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU
    You have to join but there are all levels of knowledge from world champion drivers to rank beginners posting there.
    Depending on what kind of vehicle you own, ( in case it is a cart or something else) then there are great sale websites available too. Good luck - I would suggest your finding a good driving horse trainer , get some lessons and when you know more of what you are doing, give it a try w/ your horse.... Personally I start all of my horses in a well fitted CART ( ez entry, meadowbrook, etc) and a well fitting harness... but first, we drag sleds, giant tires and more, so we are SURE nothing bad's going to happen with that all important first hitch. Good for you for NOT pushing your gelding too- that could have gotten nasty. Good luck !

Thanks! I have found a solution for our carriage (it is a Meadowbrook cart). We are going to keep the cart and change out the wheels and shafts.

When I was starting the previous horse, Drew Callahan was working out of our barn so I had help. I had also started one of our older stallions, Landwerder, but he became ill about the time he was ready to hitch. Such a shame as he was so much fun. Drew has since moved to Phoenix, but our plan is to start the mare's work here and then send her to Tom O'Carroll once she is ready to hitch.
    Visit us on facebook!