The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default Concealing Past Injuries

    I'm consistently astonished to find out how frequently people in the h/j world fail to disclose or outright conceal past injuries to a horse. I have to say, this is not the norm that I have experienced in other areas of the horse world.

    I find it ridiculous and extremely dishonest. I'm not suggesting that a person has to disclose every scratch the horse has ever had, but I think it is absurd to conceal things that are or were major problems. If the horse had a serious injury but is recovered, then go ahead and say that. That's the honest and right thing to do.

    Not only is hiding a serious injury dishonest from a business perspective, it sets the horse you are selling up for a possible future of problems. If people do not know the horse's injury history, they may make choices they would not otherwise make.

    I'm not sure what the point of this post is other than that it's a bit of a frustrated vent. I'm 99% sure that a soft tissue injury on my own horse was concealed from me when I purchased him. That's old news, I'm over it, we've worked through it, I fixed the injury on my dime (instead of masking it with a steriod and selling him, as someone else appears to have done), and I'm happy my horse is with me.

    However, it has recently come to my attention that someone is extremely angry with me because I truthfully told someone else that a horse the seller was selling had had a ligament injury in the fairly recent past, but that I believed it had been fully rehabbed and the horse was now doing fine. It never even occurred to me that that information would have been withheld from the prospective buyer, because it is simply wrong to do. I should not be surprised, I suppose, because of who the seller's agent is. But, truly, what is wrong with people? How do *I* end up the bad guy in this situation? Sorry, but it is NOT my job to assist you in your dishonesty, and if you have a problem with that, then it tells me all I need to know about you.

    I get more and more disgusted with this industry every single day.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2010
    Location
    Where they've got all Hell for a basement
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I'm consistently astonished to find out how frequently people in the h/j world fail to disclose or outright conceal past injuries to a horse.
    Apparently I have not had enough caffeine yet this morning, because when I first read this, I thought you meant that I should tell my horse about all my ailments.

    "Now Dobbin, please be nice to me...I have a metal plate in one hand that acts up when it's raining and I've had a few concussions, so please try not to lawn dart me..."

    But in all seriousness, I hate that as well. Be honest. If you truly care about the longterm welfare of the horse, you'll disclose any injuries or quirks he or she has.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Apparently I have not had enough caffeine yet this morning, because when I first read this, I thought you meant that I should tell my horse about all my ailments.

    "Now Dobbin, please be nice to me...I have a metal plate in one hand that acts up when it's raining and I've had a few concussions, so please try not to lawn dart me..."

    But in all seriousness, I hate that as well. Be honest. If you truly care about the longterm welfare of the horse, you'll disclose any injuries or quirks he or she has.
    Ha ha! Thank you for that laugh - it was much needed. You are right. It is poorly worded.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2003
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    [QUOTE=goodlife;6905489
    But in all seriousness, I hate that as well. Be honest. If you truly care about the longterm welfare of the horse, you'll disclose any injuries or quirks he or she has.[/QUOTE]

    Exactly! I've always told buyers about old injuries, hock injections etc., and will also release vet records if asked. If you have nothing to hide, it's not an issue (well with me anyway)!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2013
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I know someone that didn't disclose a prior suspensory tear to the new owner.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    When I have sold I have told about past injuries and issues.

    I am not sure why you think not disclosing is special to the hunter/jumper world. Horse traders did not get their bad reputation because of the hunter/jumper world. Trying to sneak a horse with issues off on an unsuspecting buyer is very old news, not something special to one industry of the horse world.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    When I have sold I have told about past injuries and issues.

    I am not sure why you think not disclosing is special to the hunter/jumper world. Horse traders did not get their bad reputation because of the hunter/jumper world. Trying to sneak a horse with issues off on an unsuspecting buyer is very old news, not something special to one industry of the horse world.
    I've found the eventing crowd to be FAR more honest in this respect.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InjuredAlter View Post
    I know someone that didn't disclose a prior suspensory tear to the new owner.
    Yes, me too. I think this is very common because very few people ultrasound during a prepurchase.

    People really suck.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2001
    Location
    over yonder
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    However, it has recently come to my attention that someone is extremely angry with me because I truthfully told someone else that a horse the seller was selling had had a ligament injury in the fairly recent past, but that I believed it had been fully rehabbed and the horse was now doing fine.
    I have never concealed past issues with any horses, however, unless it was my trainer, I would still be very annoyed with anyone who injected themselves into the sale by giving the prospective buyer medical information about my horse because I would doubt they would have all the correct facts.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    I have never concealed past issues with any horses, however, unless it was my trainer, I would still be very annoyed with anyone who injected themselves into the sale by giving the prospective buyer medical information about my horse because I would doubt they would have all the correct facts.
    Yes. Exactly!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    10,880

    Default

    I unintentionally withheld information from a prospective buyer. I had talked to about 12 people in a day in a half since his add posted and I mentioned it to everyone of them. I was sure I had mentioned it to this person as well, but when she came out to try him, she didn't know. Oops.

    I did find that no matter the intended use, people would hear "healed soft tissue injury" and would move on. The horse was well priced (mid 4 figures) and was being sold as a low level dressage horse...and had stood up to 2 years post injury of flat work (W/T/C, lateral, counter canter, flying changes, etc) and some low jumping. All videos were post injury.

    The prospective buyer did U/S based on the information and the vet saw no issue with it. She ended up with a nice horse for a nice price that could easily do what she intended with no issue.

    I would NEVER withhold intentionally, although, I have to say, I'm almost glad it happened because she may have counted him out.

    I also unintentionally disclosed information to a prospective buyer on a horse I was leasing. 'Course I don't feel like I can be blamed for that. I didn't know 1) the horse was for sale as I wasn't told or 2) the person I was talking to was interested (this wasn't about an injury, but that horse was a stopper). I do think there is a fine line there. If the seller does not disclose, I think it's fine for someone to mention they might want to ask about previous injuries, etc. We all know that if someone came on this board and said they bought a horse with an injury and everyone knew but didn't mention it, we'd be all over those in the know for not mentioning it. You don't need to get into details, but not saying anything is being complicit.
    Last edited by RugBug; Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    I have never concealed past issues with any horses, however, unless it was my trainer, I would still be very annoyed with anyone who injected themselves into the sale by giving the prospective buyer medical information about my horse because I would doubt they would have all the correct facts.
    I was specifically asked. The horse was being looked at by another friend. I didn't interject myself into the situation, I was asked an honest question and gave an honest response. I'd just as soon no one ever spoke to me about the stupid horse in the first place. But I'm not going to lie about it, and I wouldn't have expected the seller to lie about it either. Of course I don't have ALL of the details about the injury, but the seller does and should be forthcoming about them if asked.

    I didn't really give any "facts" other than that I was aware the horse had been injured, but that I know it is now showing and therefore must be doing fine now.

    And for the record, the purchaser passed on the horse because it was not suitable. Not because of the injury.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,417

    Default

    "The horror, the horror!"

    -- Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

    Re: buying horses in general, but especially with respect to soft tissue injuries and in H/J World. (Maybe about the jungle of Africa and the people who live there, from the perspective of white imperialists who are totally out of their element but think they could/should dominate the world.)

    OP, I feel ya. I think you did right but know, too, that once you say anything about the horse deal, you are essentially taking the buyer's side or the seller's side.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2012
    Location
    The Part of TN in the Wrong Time Zone
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    I would not buy a horse if the seller refuses to open the vet record.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    "The horror, the horror!"

    -- Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

    Re: buying horses in general, but especially with respect to soft tissue injuries and in H/J World. (Maybe about the jungle of Africa and the people who live there, from the perspective of white imperialists who are totally out of their element but think they could/should dominate the world.)

    OP, I feel ya. I think you did right but know, too, that once you say anything about the horse deal, you are essentially taking the buyer's side or the seller's side.
    I guess I do know that, which is why I wish no one would ever talk to me about anything, ever. Of course, I also said the horse is a really good boy, safe, kind, etc. But for some reason, no one is focusing on that.

    Everyone in the effing world knows my horse pulled a suspensory a few years ago. It's not a secret, I'm not sure how I could ever keep it one, and I would NEVER fail to disclose that if I ever planned to sell him.

    I guess in the future I will just say "I'd prefer not to comment on that particular horse," although I think that's loaded and much more damaging to a sale than just speaking truthfully about the horse.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I would not buy a horse if the seller refuses to open the vet record.
    You do know that people use more than one vet and you will never be assured of getting all the vet records, right?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2003
    Location
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    I resent the fact that you restrict this to the "H/J World". Seriously? You don't think every discipline doesn't have this issue? Come on! I've got friends who compete in everything from trail to reining to dressage and eventing and every single one of them carry tales, either personal or from others in that 'world' who have experienced the exact same problems of non-disclosure to down right fraudulent hiding of injuries with drugs. Buyer beware, and buyer be smart--test for drugs, ask a ton of questions--from seller, seller's trainer and the grooms in the aisle.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Oh, it's DEFINITELY not something that only happens in the h/j world. I know dressage trainers (not "dealers" either - very legitimate trainers with respectable show records and full barns) who routinely, daily, hide injuries/ailments on horses they think they might ever sell. This goes as far as refusing to tell other boarders why Poopsie is suddenly on stall confinement and wrapped all around.

    ETA: at the barn I was at, this got to the point where trainer's horse was sent to another state for surgery. People (as in, long-time clients and friends) who noticed he was gone would ask what happened to trainer's fancy young horse? I was told to tell them I couldn't discuss it. Which of course leads people to raise eyebrows and assume all kinds of things (sale, euthanasia, who knows?). Two weeks later, horse returned, and again I couldn't tell anyone anything about it. Apparently the trainers were pretty certain that they could fail to disclose tie-back surgery and that would be A-OK.

    I get that you don't go around telling every client the history on every horse in your barn. Obviously. But I hate it when the "vibe" around a training barn is "don't ask, don't tell."
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,863

    Default

    Didn't Florida pass and Kentucky consider (don't know if it passed there) legislation requiring certain disclosures in livestock sales, i.e horses. I don't remember the details, but, IIRC, prior injury disclosure was mandated. What I don't remember is whether or not the injuries only had to be disclosed and vet records provided if the buyer asked about it.

    Anyone know the FL legislation specifics?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I resent the fact that you restrict this to the "H/J World". Seriously? You don't think every discipline doesn't have this issue? Come on! I've got friends who compete in everything from trail to reining to dressage and eventing and every single one of them carry tales, either personal or from others in that 'world' who have experienced the exact same problems of non-disclosure to down right fraudulent hiding of injuries with drugs. Buyer beware, and buyer be smart--test for drugs, ask a ton of questions--from seller, seller's trainer and the grooms in the aisle.
    Interesting. As I've mentioned, I have encountered this far more in the h/j world than elsewhere. And, yes, I'm experienced with "elsewhere." Maybe I've just experienced the bad people in the h/j community and the good people in the other communities, but MY experience has been that this is more common in the h/j world.



Similar Threads

  1. Old injuries
    By OceansAway in forum Dressage
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul. 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
  2. Certain injuries and second careers.
    By gubbyz in forum Racing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Feb. 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
  3. Suspensory Injuries
    By EventerForever77 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec. 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
  5. ACL Injuries
    By BlueDoubleDiamond in forum Equestrians with Disabilities
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2009, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness