The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default I know it's spring because my horse is turning into a butterfly.

I didn't body clip Tip this year. He grows a coat like a Shetland, so you can imagine. You know how they get when they're blowing their coats- they look like fuzzy caterpillars for months on end while your shedding blade takes off an Australian Shepherd's worth of hair and the horse looks no different. Then they turn patchy with fluff that sticks out every which way and sticks to everything.

...and then, seemingly overnight, the fluff is gone, and they emerge from the chrysalis with the sleek and shiny spring coats.

He has just a few patches of the duller, finer fluff left in his elbows, by his ears, and along his under-line, and the rest, while still not totally shed out, is that sleek luscious spring hair coat. It is so exciting.

Does anyone else start jumping for joy in the barn aisle (literally, not figuratively) when you start to see results of two months with the shedding blade? Everybody just looked at me like I'm crazy. Please, tell me I'm not alone in my madness.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

7 members found this post helpful.

I love it when Tessie's Spring coat arrives! She becomes a beautiful dappled bay. I keep trying to remember to take my camera to get a photo.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Yes, I'm watching the baby's* coat come out gold after being a white yak all winter!

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    Yes, I'm watching the baby's* coat come out gold after being a white yak all winter!
    Palominos are a joy to have in shedding season. Mine stays gold in the winter but there is *nothing* like her summer coat... just nothing! She absolutely glows.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Ack! I'm still in the middle of the scraping-and-scraping (to the point that my horses go wide-eyed and snorty when they see me coming at them with the shedding blade ) without getting anywhere. I think I'm another few weeks out before the saddle patches I leave unclipped start to blend in with the rest of the coat.

But on the plus side, my mare who goes bald everywhere anything touches her is growing in lovely spring hair to cover her bald patches.

So we're on our way!

(and hurrah! I can't wait to not have to pick hair out of my chapstick anymore!)

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post

ahahaha I love your signature

Must be nice. Here in Central Ohio, I don't have any hair going anywhere. Nothing but shag for as far as the eye can see. Even my Welsh Pony isn't shedding yet!

Ughhhhhhhhhh.... Rory's summer coat is coming in, all dark seal brown and bay.

Except those danged bright orange guard hairs WON'T COME OFF. Seriously. I am not clipping him this year because I just freakin' hate it and he really is shedding like gangbusters now, but those guard hairs are making me lose my mind!

I'm deworming and bathing tomorrow, hoping to trigger a release-of-hair event.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper
    (and hurrah! I can't wait to not have to pick hair out of my chapstick anymore!)
    I can't wait to be able to wear chapstick again!

TheJenners, I know what you mean about the guard hairs... T is probably properly blood bay, but his spring and fall coat features a chocolate brown neck and shoulder, and orange on top of those is just not as attractive as he seems to think it is. This, too, shall pass... we hope.
    - Harry Dresden

pfft mine likes to hang onto his coat til May. He's shedding, but it will take forever.

My horse started shedding Jan 1. This horse seems to grow fur early and start to shed early.

She is doing some real shedding now. She is very good about rolling in the grass and getting some of it off. I am using a shedding blade, and a flower shedder palm thingy, and I pay specific attention to which way the wind blows. No chapstick. No fuzzy polar fleece pants either.

Very soon she will look like black silk. !! I give her another 2-3 weeks, and she will be done.

Mr. Ground hog is wrong, spring is HERE! Horse fur never lies.

I just discovered the best thing. It was so obvious that everyone probably knows it, but here it is: water.

I was pulling out big wads of hair from my mare because it came out easier than with my curry comb, and there was so much dirt on her back deep into the skin that it looked kind of oily and scabby like rain rot. So I bathed her and combed out the water with my curry comb. The result was globs of winter hair in the comb that I could fling off in big clumps, and no more airborne hairy clouds sticking to my face and clothes. It was great. Most of her winter coat is now gone and it turned out her skin was fine, just dirty. I did wait for it to get a little warmer out and for the sun to warm the hose.

But for those of you in colder areas, maybe you could try a spray bottle of water on the warmest part of the day.

On this topic, I had to post this from Brays of Our Lives. I just love the sight gag, the contrast of how we wish we looked as opposed to how we end up looking after a session of spring grooming:

http://www.braysofourlives.com/2010/...tment-but.html

ms mare turns 18 in about two weeks so I've told her she needs to hurry up and shed out so she looks nice for her pictures. I have been absolutely relentless with the shedding blade and shedding block this year. I feel like I have pulled off enough hair for two horses and it still does not look like she is even 20% shed out. I am ready for butterfly time!!!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post

And no whistling while you groom!

Both of mine are just getting started here.
    The hardly-grows-a-coat WB is going first, the pony yak is still mostly hanging onto his.

For me it's the difference in texture - from coarse wintry to soft, shiny & dappled

Better sign of Spring than any tulip!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I like the instant gratification of a shiny coat, so my chestnut mare gets clipped in the spring. I'd rather have one to two days of intense hairiness(on me) than weeks of hair sticking to all my clothes. It is such a nice feeling to see the shine on their coat after looking kind of dull and dingy from not having a bath during the cold weather.

nope defenatly not alone in that. as soon as my horse sheds a few hairs im already jumping for joy. i love the looks and feel of a nice shed out winter coat.its a time of not only yourself,but others to oooh and ahhhh at all the shiny sleek coats of spring/summer.

It was great when everything "Spring" coincided, and as the horse shed, the birds picked up the hair and lined their nests.

I do remember the impatient birds. Most would wait until the horsehair hit the ground, others that would land on the horse and help themselves!

Oh the beauty of the new sleek coat!

I just don't WANT to clip this year. Sigh. He's easy to clip too, I just hate it. Plus I already have to clip the donkey, who isn't shedding at all and feels all gross under his coat. Plus bathing him is like bathing a water-repellent cat. Donkey hair .

This year though, I'm trying to come up with a cute design to clip into his rump. I was measuring it today while brushing him with the hair brush (seriously) and that is a small area to work with...but it can be done!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Never mind. I don't know where he pulled all this extra hair, but today he went out rug-less, and returned looking like a yak. Even his neck was furrier. Sleek my aunt Sally. He was playing a mean trick.
    - Harry Dresden