The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

I'm really not so comfortable jumping little horse over anything much higher than 3'3"..
    For me it's not the height; it's the neck. I feel more secure on a 15hh horse with a long neck in front of me than a short-necked 16hh horse. Of course, if I were my 17-year-old self again I'd do it all on any horse I could get my hands on. Alas, being 41 with a day job, I got myself a 16.1hh horse whose ears and withers are not in the same zip code.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

I don't doubt that on a ranch a 6' tall man can get by riding a 14.3hh 2 year old just fine. But in my neck of the woods, I would have a hard time getting away with that.
    Those of us who were big fans of Mark Todd and Charisma might find this statement hilarious.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought Halfway's Maiden win photo from Keeneland, run on my birthday in 2010

My other half has already taken dibs on a barn name for him. I know it's bad luck to change a barn name-- but walking around saying "Halfway" just seems weird to me!

5 members found this post helpful.

A few of us got giggling about his name and coming up with barn names for Halfway House--all in jest of course. We came up with "Tweak" and "Horse" and "Smack" and "Dope" and "Crank". So funny. Such a cute boy needs a great name of course

Quote Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
    Those of us who were big fans of Mark Todd and Charisma might find this statement hilarious.
    Mark Todd was a twig. That was a few years ago. I do not ride like Mark Todd... though I certainly appreciate your presumption that I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    A few of us got giggling about his name and coming up with barn names for Halfway House--all in jest of course. We came up with "Tweak" and "Horse" and "Smack" and "Dope" and "Crank". So funny. Such a cute boy needs a great name of course
    Said other half has dubbed him "Daytona."

So named because "Racehorse...is that like NASCAR with horses?" I got a vision of him covered in logos like this:
    http://www.theideaoforder.com/img/comic/58.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

I have no imagination so I called him Halfway. Boring

Mark Todd was a twig. That was a few years ago.
    Mark Todd was a twig because he worked really hard to keep his weight down. That's part of being an athlete, isn't it -- maintaining a weight appropriate for your sport?
    Last edited by JER; Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Mark Todd was a twig because he worked really hard to keep his weight down. That's part of being an athlete, isn't it -- maintaining a weight appropriate for your sport?
    But that's exactly my point. A lot of riders today are NOT athletes. They ARE, often, overweight, work at a desk, etc. How they should be is not the issue. There are more heavier people and they DO need larger, stouter mounts. The issue of 'how much a horse should carry' has been discussed on COTH repeatedly. Without a resolution. But it is an issue that the hors industry is going to have to face.

Have you seen the guts on some of those older reining guys??? Gotta tell ya, not pretty. I joked a few years ago that we should have a schooling GP jumper division called 'bellies over fences' for all the aging GP riders around here who's belly buttons precede them over the oxers....

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I would have called him Dr. House. Of course, he seems WAY too sweet a horse for that to work well.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    Uh-oh, and I was going to suggest to Alterageous that she see what you were calling him. I figured you had come up with something interesting!

Alter, I think the best barn names evolve over time. I'm so happy to see you get this little guy. Jess puts so much time and love into these horses and it's good to see him going to a good home.

Isabeau- what the heck is your point? It is that the only off-track horses that should be resold by CANTER are big ones because Americans are all tall and fat? I mean, seriously- what *is* your point? What are you trying to get out of this entire thing? No one else seems to be as upset as you are about whatever it is that you are upset about. It's like watching someone argue with a dead tree while the rest of the group is happily drinking cocktails and looking at the moon.

People of all sizes and shapes ride and own horses. Some of them are too big for their horses. Some of them are too small. Probably most of them are fine. Regardless, what horses are offered by CANTER doesn't seem to have a lot to do with your argument, but if you would like to start a rehoming organization that only offers enormous horses to meet the needs of Huge America you are more than welcome to do so.

For the record, both of my horses are probably too big for me but none of us seems to care. Luckily there is not a horse-rider sizing requirements law so we are all very happy together.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

8 members found this post helpful.

Congrats Alterageous!! He's so cute! Can't wait for the updates.

To the philosophical points . . .

I don't see how we can argue about horse size in the abstract. If you're too large for a certain horse, don't buy/ride it. Even if a lot of people are too large for said horse, that doesn't make it any less nice of a horse for an appropriately sized rider. (I would also add that height isn't the only measure of weight carrying ability--nothing magic happens at 16h).

I would expect any rehoming organization that accepts charitable donations to vet owners. There are plenty of opportunities to buy directly from trainers at the track for buyers who prefer. But if CANTER just took in and sold horses without any due diligence, that would make them horse dealers rather than a 501c3.

Quote Originally Posted by foursocks View Post
    Isabeau- what the heck is your point?
    You want me to repeat it again? OK.

Smaller horses are going to be harder to place because more of our population is larger, and getting larger as time goes by. And it is problematic to simply say "heck a horse can carry LOTS..." because the issue of the animal's welfare is looming ever larger in public discourse.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Said other half has dubbed him "Daytona."

So named because "Racehorse...is that like NASCAR with horses?" I got a vision of him covered in logos like this:
    http://www.theideaoforder.com/img/comic/58.jpg
    Congrats on your new horse! Looking forward to hopefully seeing you and Daytona out at some of the schooling events this year. Lenny (my new TB) and I will most likely be making our debut in May

And I'd like to see some statistics to back up that claim.

For every overweight adult rider there's about 3 skinny preteen/teenage horse crazy girl needing a mount that they aren't dwarfed by.

I think your claim has small basis in fact.

2 members found this post helpful.

Who asks strangers on a public bulletin board to friend them on facebook?

11 members found this post helpful.

If the horse and I get along, I don't really care what size he/she is for the most part as long as they can safely carry my weight. I'm 5'4" and if the horse was 17hh but perfect in every other way, I'd go for it. Same with it being a pony. I know as I get older I may not want a 17hh + horse, but I suppose I could invest in a ladder.

Some great things come in smaller packages and Halfway is an example of that From the moment we were at the layup farm getting him I knew he'd be a pretty sensible guy. His buddies we had just taken him away from were running around like loons as we were attempting to get them back into the right paddocks with little success. I don't think he even batted an eye or flicked an ear and then he went right to stepping on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    And I'd like to see some statistics to back up that claim.

For every overweight adult rider there's about 3 skinny preteen/teenage horse crazy girl needing a mount that they aren't dwarfed by.

I think your claim has small basis in fact.
    The statuesque Ms. Solace notwithstanding, Americans are NOT getting taller:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...1#.UViYhxyTj4s

We are getting heavier, but there is no evidence that bears out that the magic 16hh line has anything to do with riders' size. Halfway House looks like he would take up more leg than my 16.1hh long drink of water mare, and many of the ample adult ammies I know happily ride cobby horses, QHs, nice stocky critters. Who'd even recommend a very big OTTB for someone who's physically unfit? I'd hope a level-headed trainer would steer a very unfit student toward something sturdy and steady.

I think fashion and ego are the more likely cause. In this area, 16.3++ imported warmbloods are thick on the ground and "looks like a warmblood" is a common marketing phrase even for TBs.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

You want me to repeat it again? OK.

Smaller horses are going to be harder to place because more of our population is larger, and getting larger as time goes by. And it is problematic to simply say "heck a horse can carry LOTS..." because the issue of the animal's welfare is looming ever larger in public discourse.

That is all.
    We understand your point.

We don't understand WHY you're posting about it, repeatedly, on a thread about a short horse who JUST FOUND A HOME, quickly, calling into question your repeated statement that short horses are harder to place...

3 members found this post helpful.