The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default CANTER Cutie - All Arounder

I've been following Halfway House on the DixieRumble blog (CANTER MidAtlantic Delaware) and I think he would make a very nice low level all arounder type, especially for a shorter/smaller adult. I don't NEED a horse, but he is sure tempting.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...now&Itemid=313

http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/201...d-rather-jump/

He's getting some good solid basics, it seems, and I don't believe he ever raced -- so you'd be a bit further along than getting one off the track in terms of knowing just what you are looking at.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I pretty much lust after halfway house. Thank goodness she sold London Lullaby while the weather was still bad last year, because I was running budget figures. Now, I'm on an absolute no.more.horses moratorium, but I still read his training reports and.....
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

He's adorable! And he seems like he has a really great mind.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I keep wondering to myself why nobody wants to come and see Halfway House. I mean really..isn't that the perfect horse name for an eventer? He is 15.2 but hey he is barefoot..shoes could add some height He actually did race- http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...721&registry=T and was decent just not going to move up in class. An interesting fact about Halfway is that his mother was 27yrs old when she had him. That is pretty cool.

I personally love smaller horses and he is so much fun! He has so much personality and boy does he have a great work ethic. He does prefer to jump but the flatwork will be there. He sat in a field for a year so right now he says his muscles are protesting a change in lifestyle so I am taking my time. I love that I can just throw him on the trailer and go. There is no drama and he always wants to please. There is a ton of jump in there and the movement is coming right along. He will jump anything you point him at which I just love. He can also take a joke which is very important considering I am far from perfect

He got a year of let down, has been restarted, is sound with no blemishes, is barefoot with awesome feet and he makes me laugh every day. I am not sad that he hasn't left yet but he does say that he would like to have his own person.

1 members found this post helpful.

I will also sing his praises even though I never rode him or anything. I just played with him a lot while he was on layup. One of the sweetest and cutest horses ever! My prediction is the first person to actually come out and meet him will find it impossible to say no. He's absolutely hilarious and sweet and wonderful.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

One of my friends was interested in him... she went back and forth with his foster mom for about a week. But that is a bit far for her to go look since he is in DE. I think it was 10+ hours drive for her? I hope someone snatches him up soon! He is a cutie for sure.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I was very tempted by his listing...he is very cute and very much my type.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Thanks for correcting me about his race record! Agree he seems like a very delightful boy!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

The 'adoption application' is kind of obnoxious. I am sure that always turns folks away. I think you have to keep horse for a year before you can resell? Lots of strings/hurdles to jump over are going to make it harder for CANTER to sell-adopt the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    The 'adoption application' is kind of obnoxious. I am sure that always turns folks away. I think you have to keep horse for a year before you can resell? Lots of strings/hurdles to jump over are going to make it harder for CANTER to sell-adopt the horse.
    There is nothing in our contract forcing buyers to keep horses for a certain amount of time before reselling. Once you buy the horse, it is your horse. We do ask that our contract follows the horse and that we be notified the horse will be moving, etc. We do have a right of first refusal but have not exercised it (and that's common in all horse sales these days).

I think we have one of the less restrictive programs out there - the application is more so we can get a sense of the buyer's experience and goals, which helps us make sure everybody has a positive experience. I understand that any kind of hoops at all do turn some shoppers off, but really, compared to a lot of rescues out there, it's not all that difficult. We check your reference and get a feel for you. And we've had very few bad outcomes as a result of that process, which ultimately is our main purpose - a good outcome for the horses and making good matches (we want happy buyers/owners too!)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

10 members found this post helpful.

You must have us confused with another organization. We do allow for resale of our horses and ownership transfers immediately. We just ask that the Bill of Sale follow the horse in case it ever needs to come back to us at any point. We feel as though our process (let down of minimum 90 days and retraining at a minimum of 30 days) protects the horse in the future because we have evaluated the horse well enough to know what kind of career they are suited to and what kind of buyer they will fit.

We have no trouble finding homes for horses. This particular horse just happens to be 15.2 when most buyers think they HAVE to have 16+ h.

1 members found this post helpful.

Caffeinated and I posted at the same time. Isabeau needs to learn to do her research.

9 members found this post helpful.

While I haven't ridden Halfway House I have been there for some of his rides. He is very sensible and awesomely bold over fences. He has a great jump to him (that looks super comfy, too) and his flatwork just seems to get better and better. I keep asking if anyone has expressed interest in him because he's such a great horse. His future owner is going to have a blast with him.

I was excited to see a thread that's just about this horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    You must have us confused with another organization. We do allow for resale of our horses and ownership transfers immediately. We just ask that the Bill of Sale follow the horse in case it ever needs to come back to us at any point. We feel as though our process (let down of minimum 90 days and retraining at a minimum of 30 days) protects the horse in the future because we have evaluated the horse well enough to know what kind of career they are suited to and what kind of buyer they will fit.

We have no trouble finding homes for horses. This particular horse just happens to be 15.2 when most buyers think they HAVE to have 16+ h.
    I still want him (we spoke over email a little bit ago) just trying to run numbers and convince my husband...

Two years ago we bought a canter mare from Ohio to ship to MT, as she was to be a possible pony club mount for my older daughter who had just lost her older OTTB to colic....I looked for several months to find something 15.2 and could not find one, so we bought a 15.3 mare ( 4 yr old at the time)...At 6 she is a shade under 16.1 now....I adore smaller TB's and have been lusting after Halfway House for sometime...

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post

Well let's face it, a lot of folks are 'bigger' these days. I am 6'1" and though (somewhat) in shape, plenty of the modern population is not. Lots of folks are flat out fat and I don't doubt that 15.2 TB does not appeal. I don't think it's size prejudice so much as reality that plenty of people DO need bigger horses these days.

I think you have to keep horse for a year before you can resell?
    FYI the punctuation mark at the end of this sentence is called a question mark. For those who don't understand

Noun
    A punctuation mark (?) indicating a question.
    Used to express doubt or uncertainty about something: "there's a question mark over his future".

Well let's face it, a lot of folks are 'bigger' these days. I am 6'1" and though (somewhat) in shape, plenty of the modern population is not. Lots of folks are flat out fat and I don't doubt that 15.2 TB does not appeal. I don't think it's size prejudice so much as reality that plenty of people DO need bigger horses these days.
    boy are you in a mood.

Honestly...there are a LOT of people exactly the opposite of you. I know of pleanty of smaller women who prefer a smaller horse...as well as lots of young riders moving up from ponies. There is a decent market for smaller horses....moreso now than a few years ago. This little guy will sell within a year. I have very little doubt. I've seen his videos and his pictures. He is a very nice type who will appeal to a lot of people. Obviously not you....but honestly, I'm buying an project horse right now for a smaller rider and he would suit her very well. I just happened to be already vetting a nice horse to for her before I saw this horse. If that horse fails the PPE...you bet we will come take a look a this boy as he is exactly what I had been shopping for.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

4 members found this post helpful.

I PREFER small horses. Vernon, at a whopping 16 hands and half an inch, was about as big as I like, but I love a little, small, catty horse. When I was shopping, I kept having to be redirected when I'd see something really little (15h-ish) that I liked. 15.2 or 3 is, to me, the perfect size.

As always....if I could afford to shoe another horse....