The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default no no! For horses?

Does anyone have one of these hair removal gadgets? If so, is it loud, does it hurt? Would it work on whiskers and ears of weanlings? Does it need lots of ($) maintenance? This is BO's
    "scathingly brilliant" idea is it a good one, or big waste of $$$ ?

I haven't tried one but i would assume if it worked like it was supposed to it would take off all the fine muzzle hair not just whiskers

I think that's what she wants, an option for clippers and a 40 blade.

I don't know if it would be 'strong' enough to take off the whiskers, though have never used one or seen one in real life.

Seriously?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I just use these so I don't have to pull my clippers out
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...sp?ic=KY50420R

A plain old shaving razor will do the same thing, easily.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Horses don't have whiskers, which are hair. They have vibrisae (vi-bri-say), which are sensory organs, each one of which has a nerve and blood supply. Based on the ads on TV, I would not use them on my horse. In fact, I don't cut the vibrisae at all.

No-no sells for $250 on Home Shopping Network.

Cat whiskers are vibrissae. Maybe its semantics, but we certainly call those "whiskers"

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    Horses don't have whiskers, which are hair. They have vibrisae (vi-bri-say), which are sensory organs, each one of which has a nerve and blood supply. Based on the ads on TV, I would not use them on my horse. In fact, I don't cut the vibrisae at all.

No-no sells for $250 on Home Shopping Network.

1 members found this post helpful.

Funny. Dyce, Sack, and Wensing think the word "hair" applies, though the structures in question are referred to as "tactile hairs".

They don't mention beards, but they do mention moustaches.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

"Two specialized types of tactile hairs are found: sinus hairs and tylotrich hairs. Sinus hairs (vibrissae, whiskers) are found on the muzzle, lips, chin, and nares, periocularly, and over the zygomatic area. These hairs are thick, stiff, and tapered distally. Sinus hairs are characterized by an endothelium-lined blood sinus interposed between the external root sheath of the follicle and an outer connective tissue capsule. The sinus is divided into a superior, nontrabecular ring (or annular) sinus and an inferior, cavernous (or trabecular) sinus. A cushionlike thickening of mesenchyme (sinus pad) projects into the annular sinus. The cavernous sinuses are traversed by trabeculae containing many nerve fibers."

It would appear that either vibrasse or whiskers are acceptable to the authors of "Equine Dermatology", Drs. Scott and Miller, who seem to think that these structures are, indeed, "hair".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Those horse shaver things, packaged without the picture of a horse, are included in the kits for placing heart monitors in my office. Since only occasional humans are hairy enough to warrant shaving, we end up with BOXES full of them, which I rehome cheerfully. I use them on all of my horses, haven't paid for one in years and have dozens of them. Have yet to see bleeding or damage.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Those horse shaver things, packaged without the picture of a horse, are included in the kits for placing heart monitors in my office. Since only occasional humans are hairy enough to warrant shaving, we end up with BOXES full of them, which I rehome cheerfully. I use them on all of my horses, haven't paid for one in years and have dozens of them. Have yet to see bleeding or damage.
    This makes me chuckle and wonder if when you do have a patient that needs the shaver are you thinking 'darn, one less horse shaver'?

LOL, no, I am not the one who decides who gets shaved, so I just end up with whatever I get. It's PLENTY, so I am tickled pink at the discovery since I used to cough up $3 apiece at the tack store. AND I'm keeping them out of the landfill.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    Does anyone have one of these hair removal gadgets? If so, is it loud, does it hurt? Would it work on whiskers and ears of weanlings? Does it need lots of ($) maintenance? This is BO's
    "scathingly brilliant" idea is it a good one, or big waste of $$$ ?
    lol! From what I understood about them people feel a slight burning sensation? It's also a a bit time consuming. Heh, tell her to give it a shot and go get your video camera. Let us know how it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    LOL, no, I am not the one who decides who gets shaved, so I just end up with whatever I get. It's PLENTY, so I am tickled pink at the discovery since I used to cough up $3 apiece at the tack store. AND I'm keeping them out of the landfill.
    No fair! Send some to me???
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

*abashedly raises hand*

I'll admit it, I got sucked into the marketing on the no no! for people. It is an utter and complete piece of garbage that did not shorten or remove a single hair from my legs. It basically tries to burn the hairs, so in addition to not actually removing hairs, you get a pleasant "burnt skin & hair" smell despite the fact that I couldn't detect a single physically altered (burned) hair. I can only imagine how much a horse would love that. Especially as you tried to go over a spot the hundredth time to maybe remove one hair.

Don't waste the money.

Thanks all. I think BO was hoping that the hair would not grow back, as some of the adds claim. I will pass on all new-found wisdom.