The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Polo shirts w/o stuff

I wasn't going to start another thread but my search was not working and then I googled cool weather riding polo shirts for a while and most of them have some big ole logo on them or a big stripe... I am an older rider and just cannot pull that off.... so....

The other day I wore one shirt I have that has a big stripe down it and my hubby gave me a funny look. I asked if the shirt looked funny - he said, "NO, it just looks like you are part of Mach 5." Yes I am in my late 40's so Speed racer was something I remember.

So do you know where I can find nice, conservative, comfortable, cool weather riding polo shirts?

Thanks
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

My suggestion would be to search for golf polos rather than riding polos.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    My suggestion would be to search for golf polos rather than riding polos.
    Good idea!!!

But does that mean I am no fun anymore? Just don't want to bring attention to it as much

I just googled that and WOW - even cheaper too!!! WOO HOO And I am not much for tank tops but they have short sleeve ones that I would actually wear....

cool weather ones? LLBean makes a long sleeve polo, no logo.

Otherwise, I am cheap and I buy the short sleeve ones at Old Navy...

3 members found this post helpful.

LL bean, walmart/ target and American Apparel
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    cool weather ones? LLBean makes a long sleeve polo, no logo.

Otherwise, I am cheap and I buy the short sleeve ones at Old Navy...
    LOL I live where it gets very hot.. and YES, I didn't post that very clear did I.. I was thinking if I wrote "cool" you guys would think I was saying I wanted something that was cool like cute and not cool like in not hot

Old Navy - but look in the men's (or boy's if you are small enough) sections. That's where I get my solid / basic stripped polos for riding.

There are many things I will spend lots of money on in the sport of riding, but I just can't justify spending $80+ on a horsey brand polo. Old Navy has great options that look clean and classy for a much more reasonable price.

Lands End and LL Bean both have good plain polos. Or Target.

Those horsie polos with the single diagonal stripe in the front make me think of Miss America!
    friend of bar.ka

Lacoste is another, although those are still somewhat pricey. Walmart, American Eagle...really any sort of "preppy" store should have a wide variety of plain polos!

Aeropostale and American Eagle. They have a very small logo in the right hand corner but it's only about the size of a nickel. They aren't to expensive either.

Yep, American eagle. Cheap, long, soft stretchy plain polos. I love mind

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Good idea!!! But does that mean I am no fun anymore? Just don't want to bring attention to it as much
    No...in fact, I would say that there are a LOT more "subtle fun" designs in the golf world than horse shops. My mom went from riding to golfing full time and I'm always eyeing the new polo shirts she has And the best part is that there are a lot more designed for "real" hot weather. Old Navy and other fashion store polos are great, but they're not cool in the way that you're looking for.

There are also a lot of ensembles for golf (speaking top half of the body only) that would be great clinic wear or schooling show wear. Smart looking and very technical fabrics.

I got this one from a golf shop on eBay (IIRC), and you can't tell from the picture, but it's more like a meshy material than a true fabric. When you hold it up it looks like it would be completely transparent. We don't get real heat often up here in the PNW, but boy I can feel a difference on those 1 or 2 weeks a year where I'm showing in 90/100 degree heat!

I have to second the "golf" idea. I get overheated very easily. While I like the traditional look of a basic polo from somewhere like Old Navy, Polo, Izod etc and have purchased great polos and amazing prices from outlets and places like Costco and Sams club, I have found that spending a bit extra on a golf shirt makes all the difference in the world. Check Dick's sporting goods during the off season. I purchased mine in August and September and bought several nice breathable shirts for $13 each. And yes, they have great golf ensembles that work wonders for schooling shows and clinics. But then again, I love the preppy look.

Tommy Hilfiger at Macy's: great colors, tiny flag logo, $30 each, and they are loooong. They stay long after repeated washings, too.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops have some nice polos.

I got mine from Lands End in sale section. They ended up being 5 bucks a polo. (which makes them getting covered in dirt and drool a little easier to swallow)

Target! I often get the largest sized boys' one so it's not huge on me, but I like them more fitted.

Kohls in the men's section I find the polos in Tall sizes so I can tuck them in. Plus throw them in the dryer & not care if they shrink some. With sales they are sometimes $11.99 (or less) plus a coupon. I just re-stocked a few new colors for this summer.

I also check Old Navy for sales on polos too.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Tommy Hilfiger at Macy's: great colors, tiny flag logo, $30 each, and they are loooong. They stay long after repeated washings, too.
    Thank you! I'm going to check these out, I'm long torso'd and I'm sick of having them un-tuck.

This is such an appropriate thread for me today. I'm wearing a stripey l/s Joules one (from the Dover clearance section) and it's so bright that I keep scaring/startling myself when I glance down.