The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How does your vet diagnose Lyme?

Question and a mini-rant...

How does your vet diagnose Lyme?

I used a 4DX Snap test from work to test my horse (the test is validated for horses in a peer-reviewed paper, which my horse vet was not aware of) and my horse was, as expected, positive. He's had all of the symptoms of chronic Lyme. Spooky, muscle soreness, sensitive to touch, intermittent shifting lameness, grumpy, NQR basically.

My vet seemed to not want to accept a diagnosis based on a Snap test positive. Maybe she was upset that I diagnosed him myself? She wants to send out for a PCR at Cornell before starting treatment, because "treatment has risks". I'm reluctant to spend another $80 to tell me what I already know, my horse has Lyme. The barn vet day is Friday, so I can discuss it more then, but in the meantime curious if my vet is behind the times in diagnosis. What would you do?
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Hmmm. My vet uses the snap tests, and will treat if the horse is symptomatic.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know much about the snap test, but last year my horse tested positive (20,000) on an ELISA titer (vet #1 wanted to treat), but negative on the Cornell test (with new vet one week after titer). Glad I didn't treat Lyme that wasn't there.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

My horse was just diagnosed with the Cornell test. It can differentiate between a new or chronic infection. Here is a good article about the Cornell test:
    ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/docs/Lyme_Disease_Multiplex_Testing_for_Horses.pdf
    Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

I did both on one of mine. First the SNAP to give us an idea of the source of her problems, then a follow-up with the Cornell Multiplex after 30 days treatment to see how she was doing.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926
    RIP Carleigh 1999-2011

Cornell test. I don't waste my money on the snap tests. All of my animals have been exposed to lyme and test postive except for the cat.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Yankeeclipper, the Snap test will not show positive unless there is a recent or active infection. ELISA will stay elevated for much longer. The multiplex test can differentiate as well.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

The SNAP test is an ELISA.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the SNAP is against C6, which is pretty specific. I could dig out my older Lyme notes if you want them...

But sounds like I'd be asking a different vet for opinions. That particular attitude on a different microbiological thing is why I ended up switching practices.

The snap test for dogs, human and horse has always been presented as unreliable with false positives and negatives. I typically do Western Blot and now the Cornell test for canine and equine. I'd rather spend the money on one reliable test rather than two. Just my preference. It may not be the right option for other people.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup