The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This is How Your Horse Sees the World

GoPro cam attached to a horse's halter as she is turned out.

http://youtu.be/v9akovG-HL8
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

2 members found this post helpful.

Run run run, eat eat, look around, eat eat eat, eat some more. What a life.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep, that about sums it up.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

I was hoping for a roll

This made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

3 members found this post helpful.

That really was interesting. I always wondered what they see. Funny how when she moved/reacted to something she always seemex to wheel to the right to end up in the same position, looking at the two horses in the fenced corner.
    Not much thought in that, just wants to be "there". Makes me think how a spooking horse reacts, not a lot of "thought" in spooks either. So..if you know your horses "comfort" spot (or view" you can guess where he will spook to or where he wants to be.

Cute but what beautiful property! Color me jealous!

that was pretty cool. i mean, it made me a little motion sick, but still a neat perspective.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

charismaryllis, I am still a bit motion sick but that is really neat! When the camera seemed to roll then suddenly was in motion that is when my brain went "ping! cue motion sickness now!" that is awesome though!

Cute, but I don't think it does full justice to a horse's perspective, because the camera, like our own front-set eyes, is focused directly front.

A horse's eyes, being set out on the sides of its head to search for predators, has nearly wrap-around vision and only a small blind spot directly in front and directly to the rear. Something not to forget when a whole herd comes up behind you and they assume that YOU see what THEY see!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Cute, but I don't think it does full justice to a horse's perspective, because the camera, like our own front-set eyes, is focused directly front.

A horse's eyes, being set out on the sides of its head to search for predators, has nearly wrap-around vision and only a small blind spot directly in front and directly to the rear. Something not to forget when a whole herd comes up behind you and they assume that YOU see what THEY see!
    This is what I was thinking. They certainly aren't seeing the grass close up as it was shown in the clip. It would be interesting to set up something that did mimic the actual perspective. Might be a good project. Two cameras on both sides of the face with some sort of program that could merge them later?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

This is what I was thinking. They certainly aren't seeing the grass close up as it was shown in the clip. It would be interesting to set up something that did mimic the actual perspective. Might be a good project. Two cameras on both sides of the face with some sort of program that could merge them later?

Very interesting. But I was most distracted by the nice dry sandy runways and the beautiful green pastures. So jealous! (Says she who waded through shin deep mud to bring her horse in today....) :-) Spring just can't come fast enough for me!

I was thinking of something like this, as well...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equine vision.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	37870
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Did that grass sound delicious or what. Yah, I am breathing heavy... but (puff) must (puff) eat (puff) grass... (puff) quickly.

I think that is how I sound eating cheesecake.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Curmudgeon View Post
    Did that grass sound delicious or what. Yah, I am breathing heavy... but (puff) must (puff) eat (puff) grass... (puff) quickly.

I think that is how I sound eating cheesecake.
    And if someone put a cheesecake down the lane from my door, that is how I'd run to it.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

4 members found this post helpful.