The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dislocated My Tailbone- Need Suggestions Regarding Comfort and Tush Cushions

*Warning- This is long- Please help!*

This past Sunday, I took my first spill in many years. I was long overdue and very glad that my horse was unscathed. Unfortunately this mishap occurred over a 3'3" solid fence out hunting and my guy is 17 hands. So I basically fell a good 8.5 feet to the ground on directly on my butt.

Today I went to the local Express Care for x-rays since walking, stairs, bending over, picking things up, sitting, and getting up was getting more and more painful. The doctor informed me that I have unfortunately dislocated my coccyx (tailbone) from my sacrum. He suggested no riding for 4-6 weeks, lots of icing, sitting on a donut, and prescribed me some ibuprofen, Vicodin, and Flexeril (muscle relaxer).

Here's where I need advice- despite not wanting to take time off from riding, I know that not resting will only prolong my recovery. My friend is going to ride my gelding to get him more fit for upcoming hunter paces, but I would like to start lightly riding in the next few weeks. I plan to keep my rides short, stay in two-point, with minimal posting, and no real jumping. Just enough to not lose too much of my fitness and to get my riding fix. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the Cashel Tush Cushion I have read reviews and they seem mixed, but I do worry about it moving around too much and the large buckle at the front... Any suggestions on a different type of gel seat cushion, or would a fleece/sheepskin one do the trick?

Also- I am well aware that this is a very silly question and that I should not care, but I am in grad school and am mortified about the thought of sitting on a donut while in class. I can only imagine the looks I will get from my peers who will probably assume I have hemorrhoids haha I put it in a pillow case to try to conceal it, but does anyone have a different suggestion for staying comfortable sitting on hard desk chairs for hours while in class? Us horse people are pretty creative and I know I can't possibly be the only person who has injured their tailbone and been faced with this silly dilemma *sigh*

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, letting me vent my frustration, and for any advice you guys can give me! It is very much so appreciated!

Oh no! I feel for you, I fell almost exactly the same way a couple of weeks ago and am very sore indeed I'm about 3 weeks out and I tried a sheepskin cover thing and a gel cushion thing my friends leant me. Sorry to say they didn't really help all that much and my rides were very short- I think sitting in a saddle is just the wrong shape! I've had moderate success with a western saddle pad with a bareback pad over top. Its super soft and cushy, but I'm not feeling like I'm overly safe riding like that and the last thing I want to do is fall again! My advice is to really just wait until you're better.

As far as the donut thing...I hear ya. I told all my friends I am never ever even thinking about making fun of anyone carrying one of those around I've been wearing my puffy down coat and taking it off and sitting on it when we're out in public. That helps. I also stole a cushion off our old couch and have it in the truck so I can sit long enough to drive short distances. I'm also getting pretty good at appearing to sit in chairs by leaning on the edge of them with my upper legs rather than actually sitting right down. I am really short though, so your results may vary with that .

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a bruised or broken coccyx a couple years ago. Riding was not fun at all!!

Frankly, if it really helps you feel more comfortable, just carry the donut in your bag and tell your classmates your story.

I remember sitting on the edge of chairs, tables, and desks helped. Or just leaning against something rather than sitting. Getting up/down was the worst!! It was even worse than actually being in a chair at times.

I feel your pain! Hope you both heal up quickly!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I broke mine when it was pounded on the pommel when my mare went bronco.

On my first trip on a jet after that, sitting in that little, hard airliner seat was unbearable and I soon bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel like a dork, too, but I carry on planes with me, sit on it for long car drives, take it wherever there will be hard seats. It's worth it.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

I broke my tailbone back in my 20's. S of a B!! I don't recommend trying to ride none too soon. I thought I was mending and tried to ride in a dressage clinic that I had paid for. The clinician kept yelling at me to 'sit deeper!'
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Boy do I know that pain. Although i didn't dislocate my tailbone I bruised mine. I had a donut and I found a cut out cushion with a handle that look more like a briefcase at a medical supply store. My injury happened in Sept. and I finally didn't need the cushion in Dec. One day it still hurt the next it was fine. I rode during this time but to my poor horse had no idea what I wanted. Sitting the trot didn't hurt, posting did. I know I could only ride for about 20 minutes in the beginning. i did buy a cashel tush cush and was preparing to make a cut out like the cushion had but by the time I was going to do that the pain went away. I was going to cut it so that there was a pie shaped wedge cut from the back.

When I was a pre-teen I was bucked off a horse and landed butt first on frozen ground. I was in serious pain for weeks and dull aching pain for months. The doctor said I twisted my tail bone and that all I could do was ice, ibuprofen and then exercises to build up the muscles to support it. The general pain slowly subsided over a year. However, I was unable to sit up on hard surfaces which really sucked during soccer practices in the gym throughout high school. The coach made us do sit ups on the hard gym floor and it caused me serious pain. Whenever I slipped and fell on my butt, it always hurt for weeks.

Finally, in my early twenties, my massage person said she was bringing in a special chiropractor from out of the state for her clients that had difficult issues. She wanted him to see if he could fix my tail bone. Sure enough he did one adjustment and put my tail bone back in place. I was sore for a week or so and then all butt pain went away for good. I can do situps on hard ground. If I slip and sit down hard, it doesn't hurt at all. I have taken some falls from horses since then that would have left my tailbone sore for weeks that didn't cause me any pain at all.

I lived with that pain for over a decade. I highly recommend you let the initial pain subside and then find a good chiro that can put it back in place, because it is possible to put it back in place.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I dislocated my tailbone when I was in college. I cannot tell you how embarrassing it was to have to carry a rubber donut around to classes. I ended up carrying a raincoat all the time to hide the cushion.

You will not be able to ride comfortably for several months, I'm afraid, unless you can stay in a two point ALL THE TIME. In fact, you won't be able to sit on anything without a hole for several months. The final result of my dislocation was a tailbone that popped in and out sporadically with accompanying excruciating pain.

If you do try to ride, you'll have to jury rig a seat cushion with a hole. Cushions without holes don't protect the injury. Perhaps some very stiff upholstery foam with a hole in the middle would give relief, but it would not be safe or secure for riding because your balance would be all out of whack.

From my own experience, I'd say you were in for a rather long siege of pain that trying to ride will not help at all. You just have to wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporthorse Shop View Post
    When I was a pre-teen I was bucked off a horse and landed butt first on frozen ground. I was in serious pain for weeks and dull aching pain for months. The doctor said I twisted my tail bone and that all I could do was ice, ibuprofen and then exercises to build up the muscles to support it. The general pain slowly subsided over a year. However, I was unable to sit up on hard surfaces which really sucked during soccer practices in the gym throughout high school. The coach made us do sit ups on the hard gym floor and it caused me serious pain. Whenever I slipped and fell on my butt, it always hurt for weeks.

Finally, in my early twenties, my massage person said she was bringing in a special chiropractor from out of the state for her clients that had difficult issues. She wanted him to see if he could fix my tail bone. Sure enough he did one adjustment and put my tail bone back in place. I was sore for a week or so and then all butt pain went away for good. I can do situps on hard ground. If I slip and sit down hard, it doesn't hurt at all. I have taken some falls from horses since then that would have left my tailbone sore for weeks that didn't cause me any pain at all.

I lived with that pain for over a decade. I highly recommend you let the initial pain subside and then find a good chiro that can put it back in place, because it is possible to put it back in place.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinTiersHorse View Post
    I broke mine when it was pounded on the pommel when my mare went bronco.

On my first trip on a jet after that, sitting in that little, hard airliner seat was unbearable and I soon bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel like a dork, too, but I carry on planes with me, sit on it for long car drives, take it wherever there will be hard seats. It's worth it.
    Just ordered this! So much better looking than the donut! Thanks!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and words of wisdom!

General consensus is that I need to stay off the horse and let this thing heal, what a pain in the butt *literally*

What a great idea to call my chiropractor, I didn't even think about trying that! I will be making that phone call today. He has worked miracles on my back in the past, anything to try to alleviate this pain.

As for those of you who are currently healing from a tailbone injury, I hope you feel better soon!

I have never broken or dislocated anything besides a pinky in all my 23 years on earth. Go figure I manage to dislocate my tailbone haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions and words of wisdom!

General consensus is that I need to stay off the horse and let this thing heal, what a pain in the butt *literally*

What a great idea to call my chiropractor, I didn't even think about trying that! I will be making that phone call today. He has worked miracles on my back in the past, anything to try to alleviate this pain.

As for those of you who are currently healing from a tailbone injury, I hope you feel better soon!

I have never broken or dislocated anything besides a pinky in all my 23 years on earth. Go figure I manage to dislocate my tailbone haha!
    Better than a Chiropractor for this would be some myofascial release work......google it...has helped me tremendously.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    Better than a Chiropractor for this would be some myofascial release work......google it...has helped me tremendously.
    Honesty I'd do a combination of both. The key is a GOOD chiropractor. The one I found specialized dealing with athletic injuries.

Also, carry the doughnut proudly--it will be your savior for sitting in class. You just have to be confident about it and act you couldn't give a flip. Feel free to work on some sarcastic replies if anyone dares to snigger at you to your face.

2 members found this post helpful.

As another in the Oh My Aching Butt crowd, do what the doc said. Truly.
    I've broken mine - TWICE. The second time was 18 months of pain.

And comfort comes before vanity - ride the donut!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks Reminisce for starting this thread!

Count me into the sore butt crowd. I bruised/poss.broke mine last Sunday, too. I am stubborn, but I may have to break down and join the donut crowd. Though the chiro suggestion is a good one- will have to make that appointment.
    I really want to ride and I need to get stronger in my 2-point...

Oh Lord, I have nothing useful to add but my sympathy. I injured mine with almost exactly the same sort of fall some years ago. The pain used to shock me every time I went to sit on anything. It is truly excrutiating.
    When it does heal it seems to heal completely if that's any consolation. Mine, once healed never gave me any more trouble. (touch wood).

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirlnmh View Post
    Thanks Reminisce for starting this thread!

Count me into the sore butt crowd. I bruised/poss.broke mine last Sunday, too. I am stubborn, but I may have to break down and join the donut crowd. Though the chiro suggestion is a good one- will have to make that appointment.
    I really want to ride and I need to get stronger in my 2-point...
    Oh no! Feel better- this is hands down the worst pain I have ever had to deal with! Literally feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    I will be googling this tonight! Thank you for the suggestion

Second (or third) the myofascial release. I have an old fracture in my coccyx and have fallen off a couple of times recently, always landing squarely on my butt. About 2-3 weeks of serious pain treating with ice, heat, and massage. Alternating between sitting on a donut and a large exercise ball also helped. The odd thing? Both times, as soon as I started riding again, the pain went away and stayed gone for the most part. I have no idea how or why. Perhaps the excess padding on my arse? You might consider riding once the inflammation dies down, but before your full 4-6 week rest time is up.

I broke my coccyx in 2 places during my first year of law school. It was February, and I had to stand up in my classes for the rest of the semester (towards April I could sit in some and stand in some, but I still couldn't sit all day, even with the pillow). I know it's embarrassing, but USE THE PILLOW, it will save your life. I put mine in a throw pillow case to make it look less ugly. I would just laugh and tell people "I broke my ass," and people will be impressed that you ride. And by the time we are in grad school, most of us act like adults, so you will get a lot of sympathy instead of embarrassment. People like to hear war stories, so they will love hearing about you landing on a jump!

I also took my yoga mat to school, so I could find a corner of the library to lie down on my stomach between classes. I would highly recommend this if you are at school all day; even sitting on the donut gets uncomfortable after a while.

I found hard chairs easier to sit in than upholstered ones. Sitting on the edge is helpful. I'll say it again: USE THE PILLOW!

As for riding, I took about 2-3 weeks completely off. I'd say once you get to the point where bending over isn't utter and total agony, you could try to ride. Once I was actually mounted, the pain wasn't bad at all for me. Grooming and tacking up was the hardest part! I find that since a jumping saddle centers your weight/balance more on your pubic bones, there isn't much pressure on your tail bone. Just take it easy and figure out what's comfortable for you. And find someone else to ride your horse to keep him going in the meantime.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns, and there are lots of broken-butt-tales-of-woe on here if you do a search Take it easy, do the icing, take your NSAIDs, and USE THE PILLOW!
    friend of bar.ka

When I injured my tailbone, I used a seat saver and put foam underneath it. At first it felt a little bulky, until the foam flattened. After that I was able to ride with almost no pain.

Ok, is this the time when you go in for that (gulp) "internal adjustment" by a good physical therapist? Can they put it back in place?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!