The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    I think the key to everyone getting along in any scenario, boils down to two simple (or not so simple for some) things; honesty, and communication.

If you're honest and up front, and can communicate that in an effective and tactful fashion then you will go far in any situation you may encounter.
    Honestly I just skimmed over this thread wondering what is was all about and it seems the question - getting along with others - can't happen in a thread due to lack of understanding. Ironic LOL

I agree communication is important but more important if communication doesn't work you must be able to "tolerate" others, avoid confrontation and enjoy your horse because every place you go in life will have personalities you might not like.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    LOL, OP, your posts all read like undergrad term papers. Except even there, the professor will expect you to write in ACTIVE VOICE. How one can wax philosophical without understanding a basic rule of writing is beyond me.

ETA: OP, active voice means that a sentence is structured thusly: Subject, verb, object. In active voice, the subject of the sentence is active; the SUBJECT (subject) DOES (verb) STUFF (object). This is the standard, accepted "best practice" way of writing: in everyday life, in academia, everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I am so sorry that you are being forced at gunpoint to read this thread and respond to the OP. I can see how that would be very frustrating for you.

Passive Voice

http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/passive-voice/

*Note the myths about passive voice

The real key to success is to treat each person in the way that s/he wishes to be treated as it may very well differ from the approach that you would personally prefer. If effective communication was easy & innate, there would not be countless books/seminars/etc. on communication, team building, and leadership -- not to mention marriage and parenting
    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    This might help explain passive voice a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_passive_voice

The sentence meup quoted is in passive voice, for example.
    Thank you for helping me (begin to) understand how to avoid writing in a passive voice!

Rules for sentence construction are not something that I have thought a lot about.

But now that I have read several of these articles, I'm hoping to be able to write sentences that have a greater probability of being interpreted as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Thank you for helping me (begin to) understand how to avoid writing in a passive voice!

Rules for sentence construction are not something that I have thought a lot about.

But now that I have read several of these articles, I'm hoping to be able to write sentences that have a greater probability of being interpreted as intended.

I was just talking to my hubby yesterday about writing via email or text... he avoids it at all costs because he says it's hard to read into how the person is writing something and may be interpreted incorrectly.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I was just talking to my hubby yesterday about writing via email or text... he avoids it at all costs because he says it's hard to read into how the person is writing something and may be interpreted incorrectly.
    I wonder if people run written language through some kind of mental pre-filter while reading, that visually isolates strings of commonly used text so that the mind sees the meaning it's accustomed to for whole strings, and doesn't bother to read the individual words unless the mind can't squash the words to fit into one of it's pre-existing recognition templates.

That might explain why formatting sentences to a standard structure makes sentences easier to read and interpret.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I agree with your hubby 100%. I MUCH prefer speaking to someone over the phone or in person. Unfortunately I see that going by the wayside these days.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi