The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    I have 3 perfectly healthy, sound mares for free right now, between the ages of 7 and 14 that I am having a hard time placing. My old retired horses, I keep them here so I know they are safe.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    While I want to believe that the question in your original OP should suffice for a simple answer, if you had included the circumstances from the beginning this thread would have gone in a totally different direction.
    I didn't really think it mattered. There's a horse. I'm trying to find him a new home. I simply asked for ideas on how to do that. It never occurred to me that people would assume (a) I am a horrible person, (b) my friend is a horrible person, (c) we are irresponsible horse owners and discard horses who aren't useful, (d) we don't have the guts to euth a horse, etc.

    Several people chose to assume the worst and say some rather unkind things about me and my friend. The world could really use more kindness and understanding. Some people's reactions to this thread have made me really sad.

    Some people were very kind, helpful, and supportive. To them, I say thank you.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2006
    Location
    The rocky part of KY
    Posts
    10,133

    Default

    I'm sorry but I do agree with wc. Your OP said retired, pasture pet, etc.. and really didn't say anything about WHY there was a desire to rehome.

    Even Snort when he was given to me wasn't "retired" or "unrideable" he just "wasn't suitable for the lesson program" and he was brought in under tack, long feet, burrs, dreadlocks and all, to show me his manners under saddle. Now realistically he WAS a pasture pet, I've been reading this bb long enough to (hopefully) learn from others' experiences, but I never would have taken on a pasture pet intentionally from someone I didn't know - I took him on because I could see him out in the pasture and felt sorry for him. (yes I'm guilty of anthropomorphizing) I also didn't figure he'd live more than about five years, maybe less than that, but it looks like he's going to be one of those 30+ guys.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    I didn't really think it mattered. There's a horse. I'm trying to find him a new home. I simply asked for ideas on how to do that. It never occurred to me that people would assume (a) I am a horrible person, (b) my friend is a horrible person, (c) we are irresponsible horse owners and discard horses who aren't useful, (d) we don't have the guts to euth a horse, etc.

    Several people chose to assume the worst and say some rather unkind things about me and my friend. The world could really use more kindness and understanding. Some people's reactions to this thread have made me really sad.

    Some people were very kind, helpful, and supportive. To them, I say thank you.
    You're right. It shouldn't matter. But it just does. For the record, I never thought you or your friend were horrible people. However, with just that added bit of info you provided changed my entire perspective.
    Barn rat for life

    The Big Horse


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    6,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBPONY View Post
    This is so great. I have always dreamed of having a retirement place for the oldsters because I have a special place in my heart for them. I'd love to hear more about your retirement facilities sometime.
    I can tell you this! When I'm out there doing my level best to keep 2small herds ranging in age from 10 to 33 alive, beautiful and healthy, including 3 or more meals a day for some, the best quality hay money can buy, and trying to talk their owners down from a ledge when the inevitable "time" comes, it makes me pretty livid to hear of all the irresponsibility out there.

    THESE ARE NOT TENNIS RACKETS OR SKIS, PEOPLE!!!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    I have 4 retirees on our farm - horse #1 is DD's first horse who will live out his days here, horse #2 was sent to us as a rehab but ended up staying as a companion for #1, and horses #3 and 4 were show horses and when they reached the end of their careers and their owners were moving on, they were sent to me along with a monthly check to provide for them. They aren't "pasture puffs", they are boarded horses with full care and consideration of their special needs.

    The point I am trying to make is either provide for them at home or send them to someone who will care for them, which is not the same as offloading them into someone else's pasture for free so you can get a warm fuzzy feeling about them being a "pasture puff". In fact one of my boarders was originally turned out as a "pasture puff" in a "retirement field" and it damn near killed him - you get what you pay for. Thankfully the owners learned a lesson before it was too late.

    I am proud to have owners, including a college student, who care for their horses when they are no longer useful - it is what makes all the work of taking care of elderly horses worthwhile.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    34,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I can tell you this! When I'm out there doing my level best to keep 2small herds ranging in age from 10 to 33 alive, beautiful and healthy, including 3 or more meals a day for some, the best quality hay money can buy, and trying to talk their owners down from a ledge when the inevitable "time" comes, it makes me pretty livid to hear of all the irresponsibility out there.

    THESE ARE NOT TENNIS RACKETS OR SKIS, PEOPLE!!!

    ah, all nice and dandy.

    but we have entered the twilight zone here: do not acquire a horse unless you are willing to keep it for 30 years, well past his usefulness.

    Since now it has become unethical to euthanize a horse because it's not on his last leg.

    Oh goodness....

    I am happy the retirement business works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This is just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. But I DO have a problem with people wanting to euthanize a healthy, viable horse NOT because they are in dire straits financially or otherwise can't keep it, but just because it is older and they want "something new" and more zippy.

    If that's all you feel for your horse, please, PLEASE get into 4-wheelers or sailboats or hang-gliders or something ELSE after you euth her. She is not a toy or some kind of athletic equipment you just throw away when you get bored with it.
    Good reply and since you have a retirement home I expect to read that you are taking her.

    The other thread showing how euthanization can harm other animals and the environment and rendering is also "not to be done"....it could cost around $1000 to have the horse euthanized and incinerated.

    Doesn't leave many options. Forever Home///The Lady has spoken..and also flashed us..with her HSUS agenda.

    So, Lady....other rescues on this board or forum have their links to their facility and everyone knows where they are located.

    You claim to have been in business for 20 years?

    Please give us some facts and point us to where you are..maybe we can fund raise so transportation can be arranged for you to provide them with that ellusive "Forever Home"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    6,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Good reply and since you have a retirement home I expect to read that you are taking her.

    The other thread showing how euthanization can harm other animals and the environment and rendering is also "not to be done"....it could cost around $1000 to have the horse euthanized and incinerated.

    Doesn't leave many options. Forever Home///The Lady has spoken..and also flashed us..with her HSUS agenda.

    So, Lady....other rescues on this board or forum have their links to their facility and everyone knows where they are located.

    You claim to have been in business for 20 years?

    Please give us some facts and point us to where you are..maybe we can fund raise so transportation can be arranged for you to provide them with that ellusive "Forever Home"
    Oh joy, the local lobbyist of "Slaughter is For Every Horse!" is here. As I have explained umpteen times in all of your morbid and disturbing slaughter threads, anyone who wants to ditch a horse has only to call up the local dealer and the horse will disappear at at profit. If that floats your boat, there is no impediment.

    OTOH, the vast majority of owners who consider the horse a member of their family and have enjoyed his/her presence for many years, and are NOT dealing with a financial or health catastrophe, increasingly opt to indeed keep the horse for his natural lifespan. Boarding barns, not "rescues," catering to retirees are no longer rare--they range from pasture only self-care to AA palatial. Mine is thousands of miles away from the OP and not at all cheap. Nor am I soliciting business here in any way as that is against forum rules. Plus, we're full.

    What your problem is with this is quite beyond me, unless you are the former proprietor of Cavel or Beltex. And my understanding is the KB's can get all the "product" they need, thank you. I also think your constant need to discuss death and disposal issues is to harp on something that's a non-problem most places for responsible people who are not stone broke.

    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of or contributor to any "animal rights" organization whatsoever. My only "agenda" as you call it is helping older horses live healthy, humane, and happy lives. If you've got a problem with THAT, well, I think you'll be havin' it all by yourself!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    Dutchess County, New York
    Posts
    4,486

    Default

    Like Lady Eboshi I board retired horses. Perhaps some clarification is needed. We are BOARDING BARNS, that specialize in retired horses. Just as there are boarding barns that specialize in eventing, or dressage, or what have you.

    We are not charities, or rescues, we do not own the horses. Does that help?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Middle USA
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    [QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;6907316]I can tell you this! When I'm out there doing my level best to keep 2small herds ranging in age from 10 to 33 alive, beautiful and healthy, including 3 or more meals a day for some, the best quality hay money can buy, and trying to talk their owners down from a ledge when the inevitable "time" comes, it makes me pretty livid to hear of all the irresponsibility out there.


    THESE ARE NOT TENNIS RACQUETS HERE PEOPLE ( QUOTE)



    So you are nothing more than a boarding barn for unusable /old horses? Making a profit by talking people into keeping their horses around longer than they would like to? I am sure the cost of the high quality food is more than covered by your boarders. You make it sound like you take in unwanted horses at your expense...........



  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2006
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Posts
    562

    Default

    .
    The judgment, assumptions, and self righteousness in this thread are truly staggering.

    OP, people did make assumptions about your situation and that was wrong, but it is unfair to leave out important facts and then question why others might misinterpret
    Last edited by susanne; Mar. 28, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

    Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    23,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post

    So you are nothing more than a boarding barn for unusable /old horses? Making a profit by talking people into keeping their horses around longer than they would like to? I am sure the cost of the high quality food is more than covered by your boarders. You make it sound like you take in unwanted horses at your expense...........
    Are you smoking crack?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/


    6 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    23,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susanne View Post
    .
    The judgment, assumptions, and self righteousness in this thread are truly staggering.

    OP, people did make assumptions about your situation and that was wrong, but holding off on pertinent information until late in the game reeks of troll.
    I agree with your first paragraph, however the second? She just asked a question...why is everyone calling out the firing squad?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Are you smoking crack?
    Apparently.

    So now, those of us who choose to keep our old horses are somehow either evil beings because we don't euthanize them or stupid dupes who don't know enough to get rid of a beloved companion and move on?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    My friend never rode this horse. She did not buy the horse. A boarder abandoned it when they stopped paying the bills. My friend has taken care of this horse for several years now. None of this was my friend's idea. It was my idea.

    Sometimes I really shake my head at the assumptions made by fellow COTHers.
    Guess what - if she'd had the horse for "several years" without selling it for back board, it is her horse, whether she's ridden it or not. If someone dumps a dog at your place and you feed it and vet it for years, it's your pet. You don't wait until Fido is 10 years old and suddenly say that he might be happier in a new home. Same with this horse. Now she needs to make up her mind what she wants for her horse. And you need to realize that people aren't lining up around the block to take on a large animal in the most expensive years of it's life.

    StG


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    23,968

    Default

    Why is everyone so nasty? Why can't you just say that it's really hard to rehome an older horse and that even if you do, you're taking a huge chance on what will happen to him down the road?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Why is everyone so nasty? Why can't you just say that it's really hard to rehome an older horse and that even if you do, you're taking a huge chance on what will happen to him down the road?
    Thank you so much! If not for you and a couple of others, I'd be losing my faith in the COTH community!



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Why is everyone so nasty? Why can't you just say that it's really hard to rehome an older horse and that even if you do, you're taking a huge chance on what will happen to him down the road?
    Maybe because COTHers are tired of being expected to clean up other people's messes. Not a week goes by when someone's not asking me to take a horse, a cat, a dog. "But my husband says he has to go TONIGHT or he'll take him to the (high kill) pound!", "My friend wants to leave a bad marriage, but won't without someone to take her horse", etc. People who do that are trying to shuffle their responsibility onto you. They imply that if they have to take the animal to the pound, or euthanize it, it's suddenly your fault that the animal is in this situation, or hold the threat of the animal's welfare over your head. Then there are the people who think just because you live on a farm and have a bunch of dogs (cats, horses), what's one more? What's one more when you have to pay for feed and vet care, often previously neglected, for the rest of the animal's life, because you don't dump your beloved friends onto someone else when the going gets tough.

    StG


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    Maybe because COTHers are tired of being expected to clean up other people's messes. Not a week goes by when someone's not asking me to take a horse, a cat, a dog. "But my husband says he has to go TONIGHT or he'll take him to the (high kill) pound!", "My friend wants to leave a bad marriage, but won't without someone to take her horse", etc. People who do that are trying to shuffle their responsibility onto you. They imply that if they have to take the animal to the pound, or euthanize it, it's suddenly your fault that the animal is in this situation, or hold the threat of the animal's welfare over your head. Then there are the people who think just because you live on a farm and have a bunch of dogs (cats, horses), what's one more? What's one more when you have to pay for feed and vet care, often previously neglected, for the rest of the animal's life, because you don't dump your beloved friends onto someone else when the going gets tough.

    StG
    Where did I say anything remotely close to this??????


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb. 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
  2. Re-homing my farm dogs
    By moonriverfarm in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Dec. 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
  3. Re-homing my farm dogs
    By moonriverfarm in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec. 8, 2011, 12:08 PM
  4. What to do / Re-homing the Only Pasture Sound Horse?
    By Dressage.For.Life. in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
  5. Re-Homing TB Gelding
    By TemporaryID in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 3, 2009, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness