The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Ideas for re-homing a retired horse?

A friend of mine is looking to find a new home for a retired horse. I've volunteered to help her out. I've put ads on COTH, Equine.com, TheHorse.com, Craigslist, and IllinoisHorse. I don't expect there's a huge market of people looking for 18YO pasture ornaments though - despite how sweet and adorable this one is.

I contacted two rescue organizations. One was kind enough to call back right away saying they are over-run with unwanted horses.

Any other ideas? Euth is not an option for this owner.

Not to be harsh, but, 'if euth is not an option' I guess keeping her old friend until he dies a natural death will have to be her option.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

49 members found this post helpful.

Uh-huh. This sounds like the common scenario I call "But--why DON'T you want Grandma?"

I put it in human terms:

Grandma helped raise you. You ate the cookies she baked, you let her drive you all over town, you cried on her shoulder. Maybe she gave you soda money or maybe a trust fund. Now--she's older and has some health issues. She needs YOU now, to reciprocate and give back some of what she's given you.

BUT, her Assisted Living is more than you want to deal with. Tough to watch someone you love grow old, become feeble, get expensive to keep. What they hay, let's just see if we can pawn off the job on a stranger, eh? Out of sight, out of mind, happily ever after, wot?

I fully realize I'm being unduly harsh. But there's a LOT of Pollyanna thinking behind these people's thought process most times. Yes, once in a blue moon you can land the perfect companion horse situation for an unrideable elder, but that's the exception that proves the rule.

My advice would be, in descending order of probability:

(1) Resolve to keep the horse until it must be euthanized, either at home or at an inexpensive pasture retirement situation.

(2) See if the horse could be used for therapeutic riding. (But get a right of first refusal--they spin them off, too!)

(3) Donate to university veterinary teaching hospital. (Just don't ask what they may use him for).

(4) Call up a dealer and make him disappear. Don't ask/tell.

I'm hoping your friend will opt for No. 1. Most of 'em do.

14 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you just take him to an auction for her? The slaughterhouse over in Canada will gently euthanize him after a brief, quiet trailer ride. That's what the slaughterhouses are there for. *sarcasm*
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Why don't you just take him to an auction for her? The slaughterhouse over in Canada will gently euthanize him after a brief, quiet trailer ride. That's what the slaughterhouses are there for. *sarcasm*
    You been talkin' to Bluey!

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    You been talkin' to Bluey!
    what? Bluey does not do sarcasm....that is what I do.

but yeah, we got the prime example here:
    don't want the pasture ornament no more but is not willing to make the tough decision....

So you either call the vet or the knacker to do the deed
    or send it down the road on the truck

of course, you can always hope that the 'good home' won't disregard instructions on pasture-puffness and throw a saddle on the beast to make it do some barrels, jumping, what have you, until the bones stick out....

passing the buck...gotta love'em.....

<old style rolleyes>

People suck
    wimpy people suck worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why I'm getting a sarcastic response. I am trying to help this horse find a happy retirement. What content in my original post warranted this response?

1 members found this post helpful.

If euth is not an option for the owner, then they need to suck it up(buttercup) and DO right by the horse!
    They can wait it out until the horse is placed with a person looking for a companion,they are out there, it just takes time. There is an ass for every seat, and until then, well, it is what it is.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why I'm getting a sarcastic response. I am trying to help this horse find a happy retirement. What content in my original post warranted this response?
    you don't get it?

sheesh, girl.....

nobody cares if your friend's horse has a soft retirement landing.
    Not even your friend.
    Your friend is trying to pass the buck.

To you
    rescues
    the bleeding heart on CL or where ever.

Hey, I am pro-slaughter, but that mindset makes me want to puke.

Is that clearer, with the layers of sarcasm removed?

Your friend needs to pony up and face the options:
    likely nobody is going to take an unsound horse in when healthy, usable horses can be had for pittance.

that means she either has to put up or shut up.

Rescues were not founded to retire other people's rejects because people don't feel like feeding Dobbins anymore but can't grasp the facts of life.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    If euth is not an option for the owner, then they need to suck it up(buttercup) and DO right by the horse!
    They can wait it out until the horse is placed with a person looking for a companion,they are out there, it just takes time. There is an ass for every seat, and until then, well, it is what it is.
    damn, hell must have the same spring weather we are having....
    I actually agree with you...

1 members found this post helpful.

Even if what you want to tell the OP that what her friend wants to do is unrealistic, make a little effort to do it in a kind way.

Why is euthanasia not an option, OP?

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=up-at-5;6904640]
    They can wait it out until the horse is placed with a person looking for a companion,they are out there, it just takes time.[QUOTE]

What I'm asking is...how do I go about finding that person? We are not in a hurry whatsoever.

Because the fact is that there is a very good chance that there is no happy retirement for this horse, unless your friend decides to retire him herself, in return for all that he has given her.

A lot of us get frustrated when we see the old ones discarded, because they can't do the job that they were purchased for many years ago any more. Sometimes we vent that frustration. You are doing nothing wrong. You're trying to find this horse a safe landing. But, you're there for us to vent a bit at. It's not fair, but I think it's understandable. Don't take it personally.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

21 members found this post helpful.

I guess the real question is why can't your friend provide for her aging horse? because there are so few good options for the horse, maybe she should keep him as retired?

this is a scene that is played out time and again and seen all over here.

horse gets older/hurt/not fun and a new ride is wanted. there is no responsibility towards the older horse by its owner.

11 members found this post helpful.

If it broke its leg tomorrow, would euth miraculously become an option for your friend, op?
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

5 members found this post helpful.

OP why are you the one trying to find a home for this horse? If your friend doesn't want the horse anymore then it is her responsibility to find it the right home.

4 members found this post helpful.

Snaffle, you might find a home. One of my boarders had a similar situation...he wasn't sound for riding, but he was easy to manage and a sweetheart. Eventually she decided it was best to just keep him as a pasture puff in boarding because she was too worried about where he would end up. He relapsed with EPM several months later and we had to put him down.

I loved that horse, poor guy.

Rescues will take in pasture puffs sometimes. And you never know...one of these days either my horse or the boarder is going to die and I'll be looking for a nice pasture puff. There might be a home out there. Or, she may have to keep him until it's his time.

Is she trying to dump the responsibility on you or is she trying to rehome him as well. I guess most of us wonder why she needs to rehome him. If it's because she wants a new, shiny plaything, well that would tick me off. If she has other reasons...mostly financial, well that's a different story.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes we get frustrated when people try to dump a horse that no longer serves their purposes (assuming that is the reason - I apologize if it's for financial reasons or something of the like). It does anger me. I put my 31-yr old down last fall - for the ten years prior to that he was a pasture pet and nothing else. He had done his job for years and there was never a question about how he would spend his retirement years - with me being well-cared for until his time. My mare is 14 - she's a pasture pet too - she too will stay with me until the end - absolutely no question about that either.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

OP, the reason you are getting this response is that there are VERY few -- almost no -- homes for horses like these. No one else is going to love this horse more than his owner.

Having said all that, if your friend want to try to find a spot for him, she should offer him as a free lease to a companion home, and she should pay his vet and farrier bills. This is by far the cheapest way to do it, from her perspective. And it makes the horse a more attractive companion than all the other pasture puffs out there. The companion home has the comfort of knowing that if their circumstances change they can return the horse, plus its bills are paid.

When (and if) someone like LauraKY has an opening she will be deluged with free horses. I know I was the only time I had a spot -- I had strangers leaving notes in my mailbox, emails, phone calls etc. Say she has narrowed the choice down to three or four equally attractive horses. I would guess she'd be inclined to take the one with his bills paid.

If your friend is lucky, she could find a pasture home for her horse for a few hundred dollars a year.

It's the part about euthanasia not being an option that is getting to people. That's the part that got me. If your friend is not willing to put the horse down, then he/she should be aware of the fact that there are a lot of young, rideable horses being given away right now due to the economy. And he/she may be stuck with the horse for a long time/indefinitely.

Plus, COTHers routinely come across these poor older horses/ponies who have spent years diligently packing their humans around, only to be dumped when it is time for the human to give back.

I don't have any more suggestions for the OP as far as places to advertise, but I wish the OP and the horse the best of luck...
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

6 members found this post helpful.