The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex tickets for XC only

Nothing like the last minute....
    So looks like we have to make a quick trip to KY to take a 2nd look at University of Kentucky before my daughter has to commit to it on May 1st. Unfortunately looks like the only days we can get out there are during Rolex. My first concern is that I'm not sure how close we can find a hotel to Lexington and 2nd, since we're there, we'd like to watch at least one day of Rolex, preferably of course, the XC phase. I went on line and couldn't find tickets for Saturday other than General Admission. Is that all we would need to see the XC phase?
    Any tips and info that can be passed along would be helpful!

Thanks so much!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

The general admission ticket is all you need for XC day

Worth noting they have done a Groupon ticket for XC day in the recent past. So you could be even more late minute and get a better deal.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It's probably 35 miles from Lexington, but you might look to see if Shaker Village has any room. You couldn't find a better place to stay.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

All you need for XC day is the general admission ticket. If you wanted, you could check into tailgating, but if you are not coming with a big group, it is not that cost-effective. If you want to splurge, you can get the Kentucky Club admit, but I don't think it is worth it. I prefer just wandering around on the xc course. I just looked on Kayak and there are still plenty of hotels available in the $80-$280 range. Look at Georgetown, KY as well as Lexington, KY.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Look at Frankfort also for motels, only a short highway drive from the park.

Thanks guys..it's just going to be 3 of us so as much as I'd love to do the tail gaiting it's not going to be worth it. Plus we've never been so I'd like to do some walking around!
    I appreciate the hotel recommendations too. Looks like I may be in luck and not break the bank for this spur of the moment trip AND get us some Rolex time

Tailgating was sold out the day it opened so disregard that notion.

Easiest thing to do is buy at the gate for xc.

I finally got tired of trying to wrangle people to commit and buy advanced group tickets, then I'd end up having to hawk them at the gate. (esp with the ticket shipping/handling chg added!) Since then we free flow the whole deal, esp if you'd only be going for Sat xc. That way we're not committed if the weather is atrocious, we've been going there for so many yrs that we only go for the fun. I've done the chocolate pudding boot sucking mud before! (remember that yr?)

Best way (cheapest) to do Rolex is take one day to do shopping/course walks. Watch dressage on the Jumbotron, and watch at the warm-up ring. Then xc day, and don't miss the vet box. Sunday we've used to explore Lexington and visit friend's farms in the area. I buy the video and watch that later. I do miss the jog Sun a.m. that is worth getting up early for! but so hard to get anyone else with you enthused enough to get up that early, packed, grab something to eat, a coffee, and checked out of the motel, drive in and parked and hike all the way over to the jog area THAT early! It takes willpower and planning.

Don't forget Winchester for rooms.
    Last edited by pony grandma; Mar. 28, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Tailgating was sold out the day it opened so disregard that notion.
    There were $300 tailgating spots available the other day, but they might be gone now. Now worth it for us. We set up shop with food/drink and walk when we feel like it. It's always a great day -- unless it's wet and cold!

Wear comfy clothes (weather appropriate) and shoes. If there is any hint of rain, have a poncho or similar with you.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Get the preferred parking pass, well worth the $125!!!

The Comfort Suites in Georgetown still has a few rooms left with a required Thu/Fri/Sat stay.

So now that we're are planning the trip, and can only stay at the KHP for Saturday ( I've been before and did the museum and tour ) anything else you suggest for a first timer that won't break the bank??

wishnwell you mean other things around Lexington for that weekend? There are many Rolex threads that have all kinds of area suggestions and tips. Just do a search.

I found out my tailgating friend meant that the Better sites ($350) were already taken within several hrs the opening day.

East of downtown Thoroughbred Park is my best tip!
    http://www.gwenreardon.com/lifesize-...bred-park.html

And buy one of those laminated area maps with all the back roads and horse farms marked! It's a keeper!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    So now that we're are planning the trip, and can only stay at the KHP for Saturday ( I've been before and did the museum and tour ) anything else you suggest for a first timer that won't break the bank??
    Nothing to add about the area but on the day you are at Rolex bring your own water bottle. I was gobsmocked at how expensive the drinks were in the park. I swear a bottled water/Pepsi was like $4.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Nothing to add about the area but on the day you are at Rolex bring your own water bottle. I was gobsmocked at how expensive the drinks were in the park. I swear a bottled water/Pepsi was like $4.
    I take a backpack with water, sunscreen, rain gear (if that's in the forecast), program, camera and anything else you might want for the day. I bring my own food in a cooler and go out to the car at the lunch break to eat. Cheaper and no standing in lines. My favorite way to watch XC is to start at the end of the course and walk along it backwards. Some jumps I just watch one horse go by, others I stay at longer (Head of the Lake & other complexes). In this way you can time it out so you see every jump and don't miss any of the horses, unless they get eliminated before they reach you. Unfortunately last year that happened a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I take a backpack with water, sunscreen, rain gear (if that's in the forecast), program, camera and anything else you might want for the day. I bring my own food in a cooler and go out to the car at the lunch break to eat. Cheaper and no standing in lines. My favorite way to watch XC is to start at the end of the course and walk along it backwards. Some jumps I just watch one horse go by, others I stay at longer (Head of the Lake & other complexes). In this way you can time it out so you see every jump and don't miss any of the horses, unless they get eliminated before they reach you. Unfortunately last year that happened a lot!
    Hey, walking it backwards is a great idea!! I might try that this year.

And buy one of those laminated area maps with all the back roads and horse farms marked! It's a keeper!
    Thanks for the tips, everyone, as this will be my first trip to Rolex! I did go to WEG so not a total newbie, but didn't know I should check out the vet box, for example.

PG, where do I get a laminated map? I've made several trips to Lex now for various events but have never seen these for sale. Definitely something I would like to have!