The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack liquidation...some good deals are left

Stolen from Off Course:

" Horseloverz just put this link on their Facebook page:

http://www.horseloverz.com/12112-Lib...op-Liquidation

80% off the rest of the Libertyville stuff."

There seems to be more stuff in the dressage end, girths and such.

Check out the other thread for free shipping codes.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Thanks for posting this! I just scored some cheap stable supplies that I've been meaning to replace (fly mask, halter, etc....)

English Bridlework page 8 is where all the girths are. Passier for $60.

I got a ton of little things, gloves, shipping boots, a saddle rack, etc.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Might be a silly question but are Otto Schumacher bridles as good as people say?

Anyone try an Equi-Bette Mosel dressage saddle? Is it curvy like a Hastilow? Fella came closest to fitting a barn mate's Hastilow. Fella is hard to fit -he has a curvy, short back. As a result, any 17.5 saddle I put on him bridges. A 17 won't, but that's far too small for me. So I'm going to try an Ansur, but that's not my question.

This Equi-Bette is on clearance here for $179 and it looks like my kind of saddle -long flap, minimum profile. I'm wondering if I should take the chance?

I know I have to move fast.

http://www.horseloverz.com/English-S...ge-Saddle.html

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have seen two equi-bette saddles and both were horrible quality - not well made, lumpy flocking, etc. I wouldn't do it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I have seen two equi-bette saddles and both were horrible quality - not well made, lumpy flocking, etc. I wouldn't do it.
    I appreciate the advice.

Paula

Seem to be lots of weymouth bits if anyone is thinking about moving up to a full bridle.

Honestly a saddle for $179...you know what they say you get what you pay for. At the risk of hurting my horses back no thank you. I think your saddle has to be the most important piece of equipment and you should not skimp for the sake of your horse. JMHO

1 members found this post helpful.

It's not about skimping, it's about affording. I'd love to try a Stubben Genesis, but it's 1.5X the top of my saddle budget, and this saddle was retailing for $800 so it was a fair question. And I've got great feedback on that particular saddle. I won't be trying it. However, brace yourself, the one I plan on trying is about $600.00.

Paula

Default Where I got my Stubben Genesis

Well there are a lot of good used European made saddle in a $1k price range. That is how I started. Then I just traded up from there as I went along years ago.

I was fortunate to find my saddle on the used list online at Stubben USA. Mine was brand new and was a demo saddle. Likely only sat in at a store.

Here is a link to the page of used saddles: http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...sedsaddles.php Good luck maybe you can find a fit that works for you. I was lucky to find a general fit for most of my current horses. Mine even has the Biomex seat for my old seatbones. Mine was VERY affordable considering what new costs.

Paula[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. 1K is the top of my range and is a stretch. My current endurance treeless was about $900. Your link has a Genesis at the bottom of the page, but I can't select it to see what the width is. Am I looking at this page wrong?

ETA: I have been told my short-backed, wide-shouldered, high-withered horse needs an upswept rear panels. What's the panel shape on your Genesis?

Paula

Here is the link to the used Genesis page. http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...isdressage.php

I think I paid about $1.5K at their yearly sale. I had it shipped to a tack shop in Canada for $35 that is a Stubben Dealer. Best Deal evah!

IF your focused on just dressage maybe sell your current saddle and voila enough for the saddle search.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh Gods, no! That's like the most comfortable saddle Fella and I have ever experienced. Heck if I could compete in dressage in it I would. Someone is loaning me her Ansur to try out. Fingers crossed.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    It's not about skimping, it's about affording. I'd love to try a Stubben Genesis, but it's 1.5X the top of my saddle budget, and this saddle was retailing for $800 so it was a fair question. And I've got great feedback on that particular saddle. I won't be trying it. However, brace yourself, the one I plan on trying is about $600.00.

Paula

There are loads of wonderful old 80's dressage saddles out there in your price range - if possible have a Stubben rep out for a fitting (minimal to no cost, I believe) & then ask for a list of their older saddles that are on the same or similar tree, similar panel etc.
    Also check the Stubben "used" sale page regularly, they had some x-demo & dye issue saddles in the under $800 range (including an amazing saddle that sat there at $250 for months!!!)

I believe Fella likely needs a wide saddle, there are fewer of these made/sold so take a bit more searching

You might also stay in touch with Lynda of Classic Saddlery, they always have some very decent older saddles in their Consignment/Used section

Yup, that's what it comes down to. I'll keep an eye out. And I'll see if I can get a Stubben fitter out. It would be nice, but the last time I tried to get a fitter/vendor out I got the line on the phone of essentially, "If Madam has to ask the price, the Madam cannot afford it".

Fella is definitely a wide body! It would be less of a problem if he chose his back from his Standardbred daddy rather than his Percheron mommy! But I loooove he.

Paula