The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My oldest bridle is a non-padded fancy stitched Rodrigo. I bought it used over 10 years ago and until last year it was my main show bridle. It is now just a schooling bridle and still looks great. Out of all my bridles even the new ones it is still by far my fav the leather is just so so soft.

Considering I've only owned two horses, my two oldest bridles (and matching martingales) are 11 and 7 years old. One is a Northrun Bridle and one is an Edgewood. Both were used as schooling and show bridles. The northrun is looking a little old bc of mistreatment by a leasee (shame on me for sending my horses show clothes and tack with him...should've known better), but my edgewood is impeccable besides the fancy stitching poking out in one place.

I have a Bobby's dressage bridle now as well, but its only 1.5 years old.

My oldest is raised fancy stitched Crosby bridle I bought almost 20 years ago. It's still going strong. I have a Wellington from 13 years ago that still looks show worthy, even though i used it everyday.

However, I have a Beval's Heritage that was only used less then a dozen times and it is falling apart. Stitching coming undone, leather wearing and tearing at all stress points. Never again...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

My bridles range from a year old to 15 years old, all are in great condition still. The oldest one I have was a cheap $20 made in India bridle, still going strong as a schooling bridle. My newer ones and show bridles are from Smartpak and I expect that they will last many more years.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

My Crosby ( before they were crap) is from the 80's. it beautiful and broken in and my bridle of choice.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

My double square raised New Calvary bridle was bought in 1990 so that makes it 23 yrs. old. Its my only bridle, its well used and cleaned after every ride and I loff it to pieces!
    Last edited by Outfxed; Mar. 27, 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: I suck at math!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Well, since everyone is posting about how long their bridles have lasted, let me go the other way. I had a cheapie Suffolk bridle which I assume was made in India. I broke one of the pieces at 2 1/2 years. But then, I was not good about oiling my tack back then. The second one I had I used for 4 years without anything breaking, but got tired of the stiffness of the leather and laid it aside.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post

But, OP, that doesn't mean you can't buy a new bridle if that's what you want.
    That is exactly the kind of enabling I am looking for Now on to decide which one...

I do plan on keeping my old one, as I've said, and judging by the other responses I hope it'll remain a good schooling bridle for years to come.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I have an Edgewood that's about 7 years old, used every day. Last year it started to show its age for reasons unknown (my best guess is that last summer's whacko weather with bizarre atmospheric conditions and crazy humidity took its toll on it- it certainly did on my skin.) Also some various parts that are between 7 and 10 years. My cheapo backup bridle is probably about that old and looks lousy, but it did when I bought it used, too.

I have pieces of tack that I refinished that are probably at least 20 years old, judging by the construction.

Though it's not a bridle, I'm going to throw my mother's chaps up here for contention of a runner-up age prize. I won't tell you how old they are, because that would also tell you how old my mother is, and you know about asking ladies their age. Not quite up to MGP's and Janet's bridles. But she got them when she was 13 or so, and not only are they still in great condition, but she still fits in them.

OP, you always have room in your trunk for another bridle. (I'm contemplating a new one myself to save wear and tear on the Edgewood, and leaving that one for best; but I only horse show about 5 times a year, so what's the point? I will live vicariously through you if you buy another one. Enable her, everybody!)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    If you invest in really good strap goods and take good care of them, barring breakage from accidents, they usually last a LONG time.

My flat hunting bridle is 30+ years old. I've got a plain raised that is 20 yrs. old; a fancy stitched that is 18 yrs old.

There were several really nice bridles I sold b/c they went out of style...anyone remember the braided browband & caveson look? or the whole rolled trend?
    I remember the rolled ones, in my area it was 1973 that I first saw them. I have an el cheapo braided cavesson and browband, made out of genuine plastic and sewn over the leather, the leather is fine, bought that one used 7 years ago.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I got my first bridle for ~$50 from Crawford Saddlery in VA. That was 15 years ago, and it still looks great. You don't have to spent $300 on a bridle for it to last, you just have to know good quality leather (I didn't at the time but my mother did!) and how to take care of it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    Well, since everyone is posting about how long their bridles have lasted, let me go the other way. I had a cheapie Suffolk bridle which I assume was made in India. I broke one of the pieces at 2 1/2 years. But then, I was not good about oiling my tack back then. The second one I had I used for 4 years without anything breaking, but got tired of the stiffness of the leather and laid it aside.
    Quality pays when it comes to leather. Those bridles are, imho, total junk and not worth even the cheapo purchase price.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Really OP, go ahead and get a new bridle! I'd actually like to get one out of the UK catalog Loopy posted. I remember that my first instructor had the red and white browbands on her tack, she brought it with her from England. Very nice stuff back then and hopefully now as well.(my India made bridle got used hard and really beat up. I broke the buckles they were that cheap.)
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    But she got them when she was 13 or so, and not only are they still in great condition, but she still fits in them.
    wow, thank you for reminding me why I don't need a donut this morning. That is amazing!

Rolled bridles are still "in" if you have an arab, but that's the only place I've seen them recently (something about 'needing to show off how refined and delicate their heads are' ).

If this one a rolled bridle? Because OMG I covet it. Sadly though, it looks nicer on horses with a finer head than my dude (looks stunning on a little warmblood mare in our barn)!

http://69.64.67.120/products/202-her...ay-bridle.aspx
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

If you buy good leather and take care of it the bridle should outlive the horse. Possibly even the rider.

I have an English leather bridle, still useable, that is probably 38 years old. Even my daily use bridle (mostly Stubben) is almost 20 years old (well, parts of it, it is also a Frankenstein bridle)

OTOH, I bought a Kieffer dressage bridle a few years ago and the leather of the noseband just gave way! Kieffer promptly replaced it and I think there just happened to be a flaw in the leather but still, someone should have noticed the flaw and not used that piece of hide.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    My Crosby ( before they were crap) is from the 80's. it beautiful and broken in and my bridle of choice.

Mine too, bought in the late 80s and still in use. It was beautiful up until a few years ago, its now "on loan" to a friend's daughter, whose pony wears it and she doesn't clean it too often, but when I do it cleans up nicely. Good quality strap goods last almost indefinitely with good care. I am a firm believer that you can never have too many bridles though, so OP don't let us stop you from buying a new bridle, its fun to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    If this one a rolled bridle? Because OMG I covet it. Sadly though, it looks nicer on horses with a finer head than my dude (looks stunning on a little warmblood mare in our barn)!

http://69.64.67.120/products/202-her...ay-bridle.aspx
    Not really, all the pieces are rolled, the entire head stall, cheek pieces, crown, browband, etc. I can remember when they were the ultimate fancy bridle, I am glad they are no longer popular.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Whenever I've had a bridle break (generally from me going over the head) I will save the good pieces and then compile them into one new bridle (as long as they all seem to match) and I then use that one as my spare.
    I don't even care if the pieces match! They're called frankenbridles for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not really, all the pieces are rolled, the entire head stall, cheek pieces, crown, browband, etc. I can remember when they were the ultimate fancy bridle, I am glad they are no longer popular.
    Yes, I never could quite bring myself to consider getting one though they were, as you say, "the ultimate fancy bridle."

Here's a pic:

http://www.tackwholesale.com/rolled-...eup2-2888.html
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne