The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who's your favorite pony jumper of 2013?

Anyone who keeps up or is involved with the pjs, tell me, who are you rooting for? Devon is getting closer for all the ponies and riders. Who do you want to do well, in particular? ( obviously we want everyone to be amazing, this is a huge achievement for anyone, getting to show at Devon!)

Yellow Brick Road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR9wkw293aI
    My 11 year old just rode her in the 3'3" jumpers at Nona Garson's show and she was amazing. My daughter had never done the jumpers before and she took her right around. Clean and fast. She's for sale if anyone needs an amazing pony jumper...
    Last edited by llsc; Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Great question! Decades ago, after I aged out of ponies, I used to do Children's/Adult jumpers on an awesome Welsh pony...back in the day of rust colored britches, navajo saddle pads, and when the PJA was at Devon. Last year, I got to catch the Pony Jumpers division at Devon, Quentin, and some other shows, and this winter at some of the Zone II indoor shows. So I was happy to see this generation of ponies...and riders, and their progression from last year to this Spring.
    From my observation, the kids seem polite, nice, pleasant, supportive of each other. No cattiness, backstabbing, jostling for order of go. Really nice to see. On the other hand, some of them are flat out-out of control. I have been surprised to see the number of "drive-bys" - ponies that just run right past the jumps while the riders are hauling on their mouths. Wow. Also...some of them have more tack on the ponies than I knew tack shops sell... So my "favorites" are ones that I would want to ride, and have in my barn.
    Number one on that list? Touchdown. Traditional tack. NO running flat out at the jumps. He jumps quietly, doesn't leave out strides like a maniac. Beautifully ridden, gets a pat and "good boy!" at the end of the round. This duo conserves energy, and requires minimal schooling.
    Second fav - Northwind's Opus - helping a new rider have safe, positive rounds.
    Best name? Kowabunga Kitty.

3 members found this post helpful.

Aw, yay for Touchdown and the Pita Princess!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

My friend had a wonderful pony jumper who also could do the hunters well.. his name was Double Delight. He recently passed away but man, was he a cool pony.

My friend's pony jumper, Jean Claude. Little critter can jump ANYTHING. Unfortunately she's outgrown him and is selling/leasing him But boy, is he cool! Super sweet, too.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I mean I may be a teensy bit biased but my favorite is Fly Me to the Moon(;

Not contemporary in the slightest, but Tiny Tim was one hell of a pony jumper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wydh9R4Kd88

I love that grey pony, Set Sail. I remember watching it go when Sydney Shulman rode it and they were amazing together. I'm pretty sure its still going with another rider.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    Best name? Kowabunga Kitty.
    Kowabunga Kitty and Grace are a fantastic pair. She isn't the easiest ride but Grace does a great job with her and works so hard. This is their last year in the pony jumpers together and I think they deserve the most of success

Quote Originally Posted by prosefullstop View Post
    Not contemporary in the slightest, but Tiny Tim was one hell of a pony jumper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wydh9R4Kd88
    Wow, I'd never heard of him, but that was AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBoots View Post
    Kowabunga Kitty and Grace are a fantastic pair. She isn't the easiest ride but Grace does a great job with her and works so hard. This is their last year in the pony jumpers together and I think they deserve the most of success
    I used to teach Grace when she was doing Beginner Rider and saw the potential then! Kat is a super pony and the two of them are great to watch!

Not only that, but Kat produced a beautiful colt that is cleaning up in the Hunter world, Midsummer Knights Encounter!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpthemoon16 View Post
    Wow, I'd never heard of him, but that was AMAZING!
    He was a popular breeding stallion in the UK. He only passed away a few years ago, in his late thirties.

http://www.alvescotstud.co.uk/website%206.htm