The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serious question, really! BO's have you ever actually...

...tied someone's horse to their mail box for nonpayment of board? I know many have wanted to, but has anyone actually followed through on the threat?

For me, I think I would more likely tie the horse to something in their yard with plenty of hay and water and all the rest of their stuff, with pictures taken to prove this and that and the other.

I only ask because... the alternative that we see so often with lawyers and certified mail and screaming matches just seems so much more complex than...here's your horse back, good luck.
    Last edited by glimmerling; Mar. 26, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

1 members found this post helpful.

If you leave a horse where it may get loose and cause injury or damage, you are liable for that.

I doubt anyone would want to tie someone else's horse to a mailbox and hope someone will find it and take care of the horse soon.

If as a BO you are stuck with a client's horse, you just have to ask your attorney what the laws in your state are about abandoned horses and go from that, if you like it or not.

That and whatever is in your contract may determine what you can do and I don't think to tie the horse to the delinquent client's mailbox is a legal way to dispose of said horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by glimmerling View Post

I only ask because... the alternative that we see so often with lawyers and certified mail and screaming matches just seems so much more complex than...here's your horse back, good luck.
    That's the "alternative" because it's the law.

I would probably do that if the person had horse keeping facilities at home...just dump it in an empty paddock. Would I tie a random horse somewhere? Absolutely not.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lol -- I live in a downtown highrise, so now I'm picturing my horse hanging out in the mail room, pestering the people that run the adjoining dry cleaners and begging fellow residents for treats. Like a low-budget, four-legged Eloise.

Fortunately, I pay my bills. It kind of baffles me how many people involved with horses consider amounts owed and due dates to be optional.

10 members found this post helpful.

Fortunately, I pay my bills. It kind of baffles me how many people involved with horses consider amounts owed and due dates to be optional.

This is very true with people I have run into in this business. It is very sad.

5 members found this post helpful.

Leaving aside the question of how safe it is to tie a horse to a mailbox - If you give the horse back, how are you going to collect the board you're owed? It's my understanding that people assert stableman's liens in order to either collect or take possession of the horse so they can recover some of their damages.

That's such a common threat.

One place I boarded a while back...the owner was the husband as the property had been passed down through the family for generations. His witch...erm wife...knew that the property was worth a large fortune due to it's size, topography and location.
    She decided that instead of spending winters in FL, she wanted to live there full time. AND wanted the biggest house on the water and to be able to shop non-stop and lord it over her FL friends that she now had the most money. So she looked for ANY excuse to drive boarders off.

She'd regularly scream out of the house's window, "If you _____, I will have your horse tied to the mailbox! You're outta here!"

That threat could be for anything from talking to her husband to passing gas. So I always get a laugh out of that threat...never gave it and that was the only place I was threatened with it. Every boarder got threatened with it. LoriO on here boarded there too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Leaving aside the question of how safe it is to tie a horse to a mailbox - If you give the horse back, how are you going to collect the board you're owed? It's my understanding that people assert stableman's liens in order to either collect or take possession of the horse so they can recover some of their damages.
    That is true, but then, the BO has to keep paying for a horse it doesn't own, that may not be worth even one month's bill and trying to recover costs owed from a client that is a deadbeat without any money to recover from.

When we were training for the public, even people that came with good recommendations, some of them would start defaulting on their bills and end up telling us to keep the horse for the bills, horses that were never even close to what they owed.
    At least we could take possession without involving our attorney or the sheriff.

OP, it sure would be easier if you could do that as the cost and trouble of trying to re-coup the board makes it not worth while. Its a tough situation all around. Here in Canada, you can do something called the Innkeepers act, I am pretty sure its probably the same as your Stablemans Lien.
    However, ours states quite clearly the horse must be sold at auction, after two weeks of running ads.
    We all know where most of the horses are going who get sold through an auction.... thats right for meat. How is that fair to the horse, that it had a dead beat owner. As far as i am concerned the laws should be re-written to state the horse can be sold, or a suitable home found.
    Its pretty sad as far as I am concerned.
    I think most barn owners just want the horse gone, so they don't have to keep feeding it. I wonder if you could put some sort of clause in the boarding contract that the BO could take ownership after so many months... who knows if that would stand up in a court of law.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    From my perspective, it's much better to get the horse moved, then worry about collecting any back money owed. Otherwise, they're on your nickel and you may or may not recoup your losses.

But no, I would never tie a horse to a mailbox.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Texan, you aren't quite right on how the Stablekeeper's Act works in Canada: you don't have to take the horse to the local Auction house, you can run an auction sale at your own facility as long as you make it open to the public and advertise it as needed.

You cannot however abandon the horse with the non-paying owner.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    If you leave a horse where it may get loose and cause injury or damage, you are liable for that.

I doubt anyone would want to tie someone else's horse to a mailbox and hope someone will find it and take care of the horse soon.

If as a BO you are stuck with a client's horse, you just have to ask your attorney what the laws in your state are about abandoned horses and go from that, if you like it or not.

That and whatever is in your contract may determine what you can do and I don't think to tie the horse to the delinquent client's mailbox is a legal way to dispose of said horse.
    And what if the horse disappears from wherever you left it? Or dies from malnutrition or dehydration? Way too many things can go so horribly wrong.

I get that it is tempting to do the self-help thing rather than follow the law, but the law also protects you - you do not want your boarder suing you for either "losing" their horse, getting it injured, failing to care for it properly, and/or failing to abide by your state's agister's/stablemen's lien.

It will cost you far less in the long run to simply have a contract written by an attorney, enforce the rules, and follow the law for getting rid of a boarder and their horse when the boarder stops paying the bills.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by glimmerling View Post
    ...tied someone's horse to their mail box for nonpayment of board? I know many have wanted to, but has anyone actually followed through on the threat?

For me, I think I would more likely tie the horse to something in their yard with plenty of hay and water and all the rest of their stuff, with pictures taken to prove this and that and the other.

Nope, but I threatened to tie one up in a dead-beat boarder's parking lot one time; just so happens she was a small-animal VET who not only stopped paying, but way, way worse stopped COMMUNICATING and the only way I got her attention was to park my butt in her waiting room and refuse to leave until she saw me. She admitted doing the dodge; there were cascading financial problems due to a life-threatening, very scary illness; we worked it out and the horse eventually got moved down south where board is much cheaper.

The STUPID part was, if she'd just let me know what was happening on Day One, the horse would have been "on scholarship" from that day forward (I've boarded at "cost only" for people in trouble more than once.)

Take-home Message: KEEP THE BO INFORMED!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Nope, but I threatened to tie one up in a dead-beat boarder's parking lot one time; just so happens she was a small-animal VET who not only stopped paying, but way, way worse stopped COMMUNICATING and the only way I got her attention was to park my butt in her waiting room and refuse to leave until she saw me. She admitted doing the dodge; there were cascading financial problems due to a life-threatening, very scary illness; we worked it out and the horse eventually got moved down south where board is much cheaper.

The STUPID part was, if she'd just let me know what was happening on Day One, the horse would have been "on scholarship" from that day forward (I've boarded at "cost only" for people in trouble more than once.)

Take-home Message: KEEP THE BO INFORMED!!!
    Good for you may Karma bless you. I lost a job years ago & got caught with to many horses (one was supposed to be sold bought another one cause he was perfectbut sale fell thru), asked long term BO for help was told Nope. Keep paying or lose horse, probably because they sold me the horse that was for sale & would have love to get him back cheap.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Yes, I did. Had a nice customer with plenty of cash, but he was perpetually behind on his horse's board and training. Like two months, then he'd pay up, then it might be three months, then pay up. I kidded him...sort of...about tying his horse to a tree in his yard. The next time he was late by more than a month, I loaded up the horse (who tied very well, by the way) and tied him, along with a hay bag and water bucket, to a big oak tree in his yard. Then I sat in the driveway and waited for him to get home from work. He paid me that day, I loaded the horse back up, and he was never late paying again.

5 members found this post helpful.

Tied to a mailbox? No.

Handed a PIA boarder the lead rope and said, "get your damn crow-bait nag off my place NOW!!!"? Yes. (The words were likely a bit different, but the thought wasn't.)

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Texan, you aren't quite right on how the Stablekeeper's Act works in Canada: you don't have to take the horse to the local Auction house, you can run an auction sale at your own facility as long as you make it open to the public and advertise it as needed.

You cannot however abandon the horse with the non-paying owner.
    CHT, yes i know you can do an Auction at the farm, point being the horse will quite likely end up on the same meat truck. I feel the laws should be changed to include a sale or a free rehome
    I think most barn owners would like to do there best and could care less about getting the money. They just want the horse gone.
    The last thing i would think a barn owner would want is a bunch of strangers running around their farm for an auction.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfforgettable View Post
    Yes, I did. Had a nice customer with plenty of cash, but he was perpetually behind on his horse's board and training. Like two months, then he'd pay up, then it might be three months, then pay up. I kidded him...sort of...about tying his horse to a tree in his yard. The next time he was late by more than a month, I loaded up the horse (who tied very well, by the way) and tied him, along with a hay bag and water bucket, to a big oak tree in his yard. Then I sat in the driveway and waited for him to get home from work. He paid me that day, I loaded the horse back up, and he was never late paying again.
    This is fantastic!

I think there would be great satisfaction in taking the horse to their house in suburbia, putting it in the nicely fenced yard with the poodle, leave hay and water and watch from down the block. I obviously have a rich fantasy life!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have notified folks that I would put the horse in their yard, not mine but have never had to do it-----------the thing is to have a reputation for saying exactly what you feel (on everything) and folks know you to be a person that will do what they say they will do. for instance, a few yrs ago, this woman got a nasty email insulting her from an IP address at a Starbucks close to where I live------and she says to a mutual friend, that she thought I had sent it to her (why, we have no clue) and mutual friend says,"If she has anything to say to you, she will come to your door, not send an anonymous email to you."

Last BO had a clause in boarding contract, if board was not paid for three consecutive months she would become owner of the horse. Don't know if she ever used it.