The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Massachusetts Peeps - Best Lameness vet? Suggestions...

Point me in the right direction. So many vets in our area due to Tufts being right in the heart of the state.

I lived in Boston for 2 years until last July. I boarded in Walpole, MA outside boston and had a great experience with Backstretch Veterinary when diagnosing the sourcing of lameness for my 15 y.o warmblood cross. We had to do ultrasound, blocks, etc and i felt they weren't overly expensive either.

http://www.backstretchvet.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Vet: Jay Merriam, Massachusetts Equine, Uxbridge, MA

Vet: Carl Kirker-Head, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine (Tufts), N. Grafton, MA

Both are excellent! Good luck!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Andy Kaneps - he does travel and well worth it!!

http://kanepsequine.com/
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Jay Merriam, hands down. I kept horses in the Boston area for 21 years and have used pretty much everyone who is anyone in sports medicine and lameness and I came back to Jay time and time again.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Jay is trying desperately to actually retire.
    Better be quick about it!
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I have not been overly impressed by Backstretch (personal experience) but they weren't bad either.

I've heard mixed things about Jay Merriam- but then again you here mixed things about everyone.

Last fall, my horse got a nasty cut on his knee and had some lameness issues afterward, which thankfully resolved on their own.

Unfortunately, in the case of both large and small animal medicine, one often goes to a local vet first, who does diagnostics, and then gets referred to a larger hospital, who then does the same diagnostics, because the local vet's equipment wasn't advanced enough, etc. It happens and I'm not faulting the local vets- they do the best they can and are an invaluable resource- but I know lots of people who have fallen into the trap of paying for the same test at least twice. Last fall, if the lameness issue did not resolve on it's own, I was planning on going to Dr. Davis at New England Equine, who I have not met but have heard NUMEROUS good things about.

I have heard good things about Jay Merriam. Or how about Boston equine - but make sure you get the head:
    Dr. Mark G. Holman, DVM
    http://bostonequineassociates.com/si...4_OurStaff.pml

or Ocean State Equine
    http://www.oceanstateequine.com/
    this vet is their best lameness guy: Dr. Enda M. Currid
    he is great
    they may not be that far away for you.

good luck!

3 members found this post helpful.

Totally agree about Dr. Mike Davis at NEEMSC - he has worked on my mare for two different lameness issues (5 years apart and totally unrelated). I've also used Dr. Omar Maher at NEEMSC for my old guy (unfortunately I had to put him down... but he was 31). I don't mess around when it comes to my horses and I take them straight to Mike or Omar (or Jackie Bartol for internal things) - they nailed the diagnosis in all the occasions. Andy Kaneps used to work with them and he is amazing too. So if I couldn't bring my horse to NEEMSC then i'd be calling Andy (NEEMSC is much closer for me).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Dr. Kaneps is excellent.

Dr. Kaneps is indeed excellent.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Mark Holman of Boston Equine is a phenomenal lameness vet. Make sure you see him, unless it's an emergency it may take awhile to get an appt.

Dr Brett Gabby of Essex Equine

I love South Shore Equine. They are very thorough, and have a state-of-the-art clinic with all of the technology you would need for diagnostics.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I have had nothing but great luck with Brett. Jay Merriam is also very good but like someone said, he is trying to retire.
    As for Mark Holman, ick!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    I have had nothing but great luck with Brett. Jay Merriam is also very good but like someone said, he is trying to retire.
    As for Mark Holman, ick!
    I also had bad experiences with Holman. Didn't even do basic flexions on a lameness exam and after requesting them, did only the hind.

Quote Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
    I also had bad experiences with Holman. Didn't even do basic flexions on a lameness exam and after requesting them, did only the hind.
    My experience with him was that he formed an opinion based on a phone call. Didn't test his theory. Just proclaimed that THIS was the reason the horse was lame. 6 months later, horse was seen by another vet and guess what? Holman was wrong.

OP, I would heed the opinions about Holman. Many more negative experiences with him and his clinic (to the point where I would ship almost 45 miles each way to Jay when I was at a facility that used him exclusively). The only vet I care for less than him in that area is someone who works for him.

If you can't get Jay, go with Gaby or Davis. In that order

But hey, all of that is just my personal opinion based on past experience, take it with a grain of salt :P
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Ditto! He was fabulous when my mare had a chronic hind suspensory issue, needed surgery and had a very long and complicated recovery.

His associate, Sarah Gomez, is also good (though not quite as good as Brett) and much, much easier to schedule. She will consult with Brett if things look weird, and if things are really weird and you ask, she will turn the case over to Brett.

Love them both!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine