The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default not her eyes--hospice for the old gal--now the geriactic lab seems to be going blind

EDITED TO ADD:
    We just got back from her vet who wanted to see her before she saw the vision vet. Turns out her eyes are ok, it is the brain that is not seeing. He wanted to have me have an MRI to see if she had a brain tumor but did a chest xray first and found she had quite a few tumors in her lungs. we are waiting for the blood work to come back to see if we might move her to prednisone but for the moment she is getting all the love and hospice care I can give her and lunch which is her favorite thing.
    I will take her our the barn later today and let her roam in the big field.

another post asked about what one wants in a vet. my vet cried with me as he was telling me her results. that's what I want in a vet.
    ------------
    I have taken all your advice and have a call in to my vet today and an appointment scheduled for next week. I wait for this vet as he "gets" the older dog.

I really think she is losing her vision. She is very tentative coming down the stairs (I am helping her) and she missed her food bowl by about a foot (I have moved it to the step so it is raised for her).

She seems comfortable (she knows where the couch is and where her pee spot is outside).

she is bouncy when I get home. I am irritating her with all the love I shower on her.

she was my service dog when I was wheel chair bound. My daughter raised her to be a guide dog but although she finished her harness training, she was too friendly to work so we got her back.

Her name is Espresso (she is yellow-she was part of an E litter). Please keep her in your thoughts.

EDITED TO ADD:
    We just got back from her vet who wanted to see her before she saw the vision vet. Turns out her eyes are ok, it is the brain that is not seeing. He wanted to have me have an MRI to see if she had a brain tumor but did a chest xray first and found she had quite a few tumors in her lungs. we are waiting for the blood work to come back to see if we might move her to predisone but for the moment she is getting all the love and hospice care I can give her and lunch which is her favorite thing.
    I will take her our the barn later today and let her roam in the big field.
    Last edited by lizathenag; Mar. 28, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

jingles for your lovey...............my jrt was blind for 11 of her 19 yrs..............she had glaucoma.............did very well getting around inside and out , except for loud noises.......very frightening..........it will just take a bit of time for her to locate things in her mind, like her moved food bowl..........
    sounds like a total sweetheart

Jingles for your old dog. My old collie, Dakota, didn't have much vision left at the end and she was a bit senile too. We had to watch her to make sure she didn't wander off...found her completely lost in the pasture one day and she just didn't know where home was. She was a happy dog though...it didn't seem to slow her down much.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Jingles for Espresso! My corgi, Andy, was blind for the last two years of his life, and I was constantly amazed at how easily he adapted. Here's hoping she will, too!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Many jingles for Espresso. Many blind animals do well. She sounds like a wonderful dog and I hope she is one of them.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thanks for all your kind comments. She sees (or rather visits) her vet tomorrow at 7:30 AM and I have an appointment with the vision vet on Monday.

Your posts really help me.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

1 members found this post helpful.

Many jingles for Espresso. My lab/collie cross is starting to lose his vision as well, and it is hard for me to watch. I just snuggle him extra and try to keep everything in the house in the same places as much as I can.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Nandi was pretty darned blind for a while -it didn't stop her.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Jingles! I have a friend whose older dog has lost some vision/mental alertness, and benefited greatly from one of those pet drinking fountains. He couldn't seem to quite find the water bowl before, but now can follow the sound to find it.

So sorry to hear. At least brain tumors for the most part are not painful. I hope she stays comfortable and can lead a relatively normal geriatric life until her time comes. Hugs to you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry. I know that she'll have plenty of love and good care until it is her time to leave.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Liza, give Espresso a hug and a kiss from me. What a wonderful life she has had with you and I know the time she has left will be very special.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

My 10 year old corgi was diagnosed recently with a brain tumor (chest and abdomen clear so looks like primary tumor), one of the symptoms for him was loss of vision also (right side).

He was put on prednisone and has seemed to improve (even when he was out of it though nothing stops a Corgi Appetite . Last week I drove from NC to U of Florida for stereotactic radiosurgery (single dose) which hopefully will halt the progression of the tumor. There's only 4 vet clinics in the country that offer this type of radiation. U of F, UC Davis, Colorado State and a clinic in NY.

The first 1-2 weeks post radiation they get worse before they get better, then after that it just depends on the animal's response. The only way to know for sure if the tumor is shrinking is to do another MRI which I probably won't do because the treatment going forward won't change. Chemotherapy usually isn't prescribed for brain tumors because of the blood/brain barrier.

hugs to your Expresso. I know the diagnosis must have been a shock for you. Damn cancer.

Damn cancer is right. Damn f*cking cancer.

Hugs to both of you.

thank you everyone. she knows were her bowl (of course), couch and pee spot outside is.

I'm so sorry to hear of Espresso's diagnosis.

StG

Oh Liza, I'm so sorry. Jingles for Espresso. Give her a hug for me.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant