The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
    Any experience with stifle injuries? Are they more often major, minor, or 50/50? In your experience, do horses more often come back from them or more often experience permanent lameness? Googling it resulted in just about 10,000 different possibilities, hence the vet exam this Tuesday.
    It depends.

IRAP can be very, very useful in stifles, though. My vet showed me an ultrasound of a TERRIBLE looking stifle--blown joint capsule, and I think the meniscus was torn...really it looked like a bomb had gone off in there--and the horse is sound after IRAP and running training level, IIRC.

As I posted earlier, I have a good article about stifle injuries. I would be happy to send, but I'll need your email, as it's in pdf format.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than that horse is very handsome!

Okay, well, maybe I can contribute something similar that I experienced. When I first acquired my OTTB he went through a 3 month layup in a field and then started under saddle. His hind end was weak for sure and he would often just loose it out from underneath him. He had passed his PPE but something was NQR. It turned out to be in his pelvis. It was tipped (or not aligned where it should have been). We did regular chiro and massage for just a few months while also working over polls and hills. It helped him immensely. He just needed strength and things put into the proper places Maybe your guy just needs something similar to that? Either way, he's a nice horse and it sounds like you have a good plan of action. Best of luck!

2 members found this post helpful.

I can give you two ends of the spectrum.

I am very gun-shy of undiagnosed hind-end issues in OTTBs as I have had two that were never able to be kept sound enough for anything other than trail horses, though both of mine were hotter than yours, so a much tougher horse to get into a good home.

OTOH, my PSG horse (not an OTTB) has a not great stifle. And routinely gets 7s (and occasionally 8s) on gaits. The vids of your guy look quite a bit like my guy before we really started managing it. The bit of toe drag on the right is what I particularly noticed. I have it injected every 6 months and the 3 month off cycle point he gets a Legend injection. If it is a stifle, even if there are some changes in the joint, it does not mean in all situations that it is not manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    What a sweet boy.
    Ugh, I know. The video I didn't post is of him following me around the turn-out with his nose blowing in the camera. It was hard to get video of him moving before he prefers to cuddle and walk beside me. He even trots with me if I jog. It's way too cute. He has so much personality and so much potential that it's hard to imagine him returning home to "rot" in a stall (his seller literally said that) and not get fixed (if he's fixable). His life will be over before it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    OTOH, my PSG horse (not an OTTB) has a not great stifle. And routinely gets 7s (and occasionally 8s) on gaits. The vids of your guy look quite a bit like my guy before we really started managing it. The bit of toe drag on the right is what I particularly noticed. I have it injected every 6 months and the 3 month off cycle point he gets a Legend injection. If it is a stifle, even if there are some changes in the joint, it does not mean in all situations that it is not manageable.
    Thanks for sharing. What is the "diagnosis" of your guy's stifle issue? What did the vet actually find in there, if anything? How much does each injection cost? Does he ever seem to be in pain or is it just a mechanical lameness?

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    His hind end was weak for sure and he would often just loose it out from underneath him. He had passed his PPE but something was NQR. It turned out to be in his pelvis. It was tipped (or not aligned where it should have been). We did regular chiro and massage for just a few months while also working over polls and hills. It helped him immensely. Best of luck!
    Thanks for sharing. Yes, he is quite handsome. When he stepped off the trailer, I think my eyes were the size of saucers. I've looked at some nice horses so far, but nothing in the same league as him, IMO. How did you diagnose the tipped pelvis? Was it your vet, chiro, or massage therapist? How often does he need maintenance appointments? Thanks!

Also, here are barn names I've been kicking around. Any votes?

Samson (because he's built like a tank)

Gamblin Man (well, you know why...)

Boyfriend (because it's ridiculous)

Mr. Darcey (because he's handsome)

Gatsby (because it's my all time favorite book and I'm an English teacher)

Also, here are barn names I've been kicking around. Any votes?

Samson (because he's built like a tank)

Gamblin Man (well, you know why...)

Boyfriend (because it's ridiculous)

Mr. Darcey (because he's handsome)

Gatsby (because it's my all time favorite book and I'm an English teacher)
    English major and shameless P&P fan here, own the A&E DVDs, not ashamed to say it.

I like Gatsby better than Darcy. Last thing you need is a petulant horse who insults the mares.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

3 members found this post helpful.

I haven't chimed in on any of your threads, but I've followed along and I just have to say...I've got everything crossed for this guy! He looks like a Gatsby to me. Best of luck on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fulrider View Post
    I like Gatsby better than Darcy. Last thing you need is a petulant horse who insults the mares.
    Ahahahaha! Good point. No need for a chauvinistic ass in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    I haven't chimed in on any of your threads, but I've followed along and I just have to say...I've got everything crossed for this guy! He looks like a Gatsby to me. Best of luck on Tuesday.
    Ahhhhh, thank you! So nervous. I hope I'm crazy for trying this!

Gatsby...fellow english major and my family has started naming any of our homebreds after books/characters, so im a bit biased .. I like Mr. Darcy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    Ahhhhh, thank you! So nervous. I hope I'm crazy for trying this!

Gatsby is a great name but too tragic.

Fitzwilliam/ Fitz!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

According to an article I read, HA is contraindicated for soft tissue injuries. If you're going to treat an undiagnosed lameness, IRAP might well be the better choice.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Since you are taking a gamble on him I'd call him gamble myself. Good luck with him. Keep us updated
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

3 members found this post helpful.

I've been following your posts and I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out for you & 'Mr Darcy.' (Sorry, but I own a mare and a petulant gelding that could throw out an unintended insult or two might be good for her!)

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Since you are taking a gamble on him I'd call him gamble myself. Good luck with him. Keep us updated
    How about Gambit?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Thanks for sharing. Yes, he is quite handsome. When he stepped off the trailer, I think my eyes were the size of saucers. I've looked at some nice horses so far, but nothing in the same league as him, IMO. How did you diagnose the tipped pelvis? Was it your vet, chiro, or massage therapist? How often does he need maintenance appointments? Thanks!
    When we did the PPE he had clean x-rays and no major issues with the flex test but the vet watched him under saddle too (as that is part of the PPE with this vet) and had said his hind end was weak but that proper exercise may just be the cure and to see how it progresses. As I rode more we did hills and work over poles but as I said he would lose that hind end, take odd steps back there randomly, and he'd cross canter (never under saddle though). The chiropractor was who officially said it was the pelvis. We started with an initial adjustment then kept up every 6-8 weeks for about a total of 4 visits including the initial. After that I had her come out every 6 months and that was enough. Getting him stronger and using his hind end properly probably helped too. The massage therapist would come 3-4 times a year and did initially note weakness in his lower back area.

For me it was all about getting the body into the right place and conditioning the horse to use himself properly under saddle to help keep it there and strong. I have seen some OTTB's just have some initially funky looking hind end travel that improved immensely with body work and under saddle work to get them to learn how to travel better. This could just be a weak spot that needs to be strengthened accordingly but definitely look into it to know what exactly is going on there. As many have said, it may be a perfectly manageable issue that won't have a severe impact on his future career.

What is "IRAP"?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability