The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

There is some documentation to support the fact that some do end up in pet food.
    The last 2 times I had to put down a horse - it took the renderer almost a week to get here.
    It used to be they would do it much faster than that but I was told that Japan no longer wanted our tainted meat so there were less options for disposal.
    I also wonder why our vets up here to much less in the way of captive bolt euthanasia. I have never been asked about other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Rendering is not an acceptable way to dispose of a pentobarbital-tainted carcass. The drug residues are not destroyed in the rendering process, so the tissues and by-products may contain poison and must not be used for animal feed.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/poison.pdf.

Euthanasia methods such as gunshot or
    penetrating captive bolt have been used on free-ranging wildlife by specially trained personnel in cases where burial or other methods of disposal were unavailable. While pentobarbital injection is generally the preferred method of humane euthanasia, there are some instances involving field euthanasia of
    wildlife by law enforcement or other wildlife professionals in which the carcass
    must be left exposed in the field (e.g. when frozen ground prevents burial).
    According to the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia1, in these situations “...a gunshot to
    the head, penetrating captive bolt, or injectable agents that are non-toxic
    (potassium chloride in combination with a non-toxic general anesthetic) should
    be used so that the potential for scavenger or predator toxicity is lessened.” While
    a discussion of these alternate methods is beyond the scope of this fact sheet, it
    must be emphasized that they are last resort procedures restricted to use by
    trained, authorized personnel, where no other options are available.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    There is some documentation to support the fact that some do end up in pet food.
    The last 2 times I had to put down a horse - it took the renderer almost a week to get here.
    It used to be they would do it much faster than that but I was told that Japan no longer wanted our tainted meat so there were less options for disposal.
    I also wonder why our vets up here to much less in the way of captive bolt euthanasia. I have never been asked about other options.
    Any proof of that?

No, never mind, you don't need to have proof, of course, we know you did hear that, although I would question your sources.

Yes Bluey actually there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Any proof of that?

No, never mind, you don't need to have proof, of course, we know you did hear that, although I would question your sources.

I doubt you will believe the FDA even but there ya go.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm110419.htm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...607483,00.html

Rendering plants, which boil down dead animal carcasses from slaughterhouses into fats and proteins, sell cheap material that often ends up in pet food. The "meat" in your cat's kibbles could be any kind: there's no law against even using rendered material from cats and dogs in pet food. Plants can mix in anything from road kill to supermarket deli meats, and investigations by KMOV-TV in St. Louis and the Los Angeles Times have suggested that pets killed in animal shelters just might make it into the slop. The Pet Food Institute, whose members create most of the dog and cat food sold in the U.S., told the Times that pets are not allowed in their products. But the FDA has admitted to finding "very, very low levels" of sodium pentobarbital — the chemical used to euthanize animals — in some brands of dog food. Wayne Pacelle, President of the Humane Society of the U.S. said the allegations need more scrutiny. "The pet food industry is not the most transparent of industries and it has been really difficult for the public to obtain information," he says

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz2OrjfMbLO

Yes Bluey actually there is.
    I meant about the Japan comment.
    The other, we already have been thru it before, links and all.

As for quoting what the illustrious Mr Pacelle, HSUS president, may have to say?

The Japan comment was from the dispatcher at the rendering company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I meant about the Japan comment.
    The other, we already have been thru it before, links and all.

As for quoting what the illustrious Mr Pacelle, HSUS president, may have to say?

The Japan comment was from the dispatcher at the rendering company.
    Japan uses that with all it imports to stop trade when they are protecting their producers.

That is par for the course for them, don't really need a reason, they can invent one just fine.

They can "find" this or that easily when they test, no one can question them.
    What is funny, when they are running short, then the same product they could not stand becomes wonderful, can't get enough of that.