The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    OMG a clown barfed up a bridle.
    That has to be the ugliest bridle I've ever seen in my life.
    The truth is always in the middle.

Western Dressage already exists. It's called Reining.
    The truth is always in the middle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Just to add he was never going to be a psg horse. He would have topped out at 4th but we had fun. Heck some dressage riders cut cattle with their dressage horses. I don't think you have to stick with all or nothing always.

I agree. I know a dressage trainer who has shown her Warmblood in western dressage - she rides him in a more collected, elevated trot and canter. He has shown 2nd and 3rd level, and scores quite well in WD. She says he prefers the lighter contact and longer neck frame and is actually much happier in the WD competitions versus the traditional dressage. WD requires a clear 3 beat lope (not a Western pleasure devolved "lope"). It is NOT Western Pleasure - and many of the riders I've seen are happy there is an alternative to WP. Some are Reiners who are looking for something else to dabble in and no-way are they ruining their horses in WP (reiners ride forward!).

The whole WD/CD movement came out of the Morgan world - and if you watch Morgan classes, the horses are much more elevated; foot dragging and impure gaits are NOT rewarded in the Morgan show ring. The horses do not drag their noses in the dust either. I had a Morgan years ago that had been trained and shown in WP in the Morgan world - he made the leap to dressage VERY easily and scored quite well when he wasn't freaked out - unfortunately, he was losing his eyesight and freaked out far too often But that is a whole 'nother issue...

There are a few other dressage riders in this area that are starting to dabble in it - and some are on upper level horses. I think most horses can transition back and forth - can the riders?

2 members found this post helpful.

MysticOak, yes, there's a reason WD came out of the Morgan world to some degree. Morgan WP is sloowwwwing down and becoming a poor imitation of open WP, and this doesn't show off the best features of most Morgans -- the animation and the forwardness. Morgan WP people wanted a better class for them and their horses, while still riding in the Western style. I think it's a great thing.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    MysticOak, yes, there's a reason WD came out of the Morgan world to some degree. Morgan WP is sloowwwwing down and becoming a poor imitation of open WP, and this doesn't show off the best features of most Morgans -- the animation and the forwardness..
    Oh, that is such a shame - although I'm not a fan of breed show circuits (any breed), I was always relieved that Morgan western horses had energy and purity of gaits. I hate open Western Pleasure - it is just awful. The horses move and look unnatural. Western Dressage gives western riders a positive alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    MysticOak, yes, there's a reason WD came out of the Morgan world to some degree. Morgan WP is sloowwwwing down and becoming a poor imitation of open WP, and this doesn't show off the best features of most Morgans -- the animation and the forwardness. Morgan WP people wanted a better class for them and their horses, while still riding in the Western style. I think it's a great thing.
    I was so incredibly happy to see this man (his name escapes my brain at this moment, but he is based in Florida) with a true WP Morgan won the World Champion Open Class at Morgan Grand National last year. He had true three beats for lopes and true two beats for jogs, and was about the only one who pulled off beautiful lengthening! It was very beautiful and the horse was supple and responsive and happy. I had that fuzzy feeling when I watched them. Just beautiful. I thought the judges would penalize him since he wasn't the slowest in the class but I was so wrong.