The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We haven't wanted to see any Western Cowboy Dressage.

No one in this forum rides that way. A thread was started a while back on actual western dressage riding, and it quickly died. So okay, like one person. Who in reality rides bareback.

A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    And it is not WESTERN dressage. It says COWBOW dressage.

Just to add to the confusion...
    Well, that clarified things.
    A helmet saved my life.

Blech. Dinner theatre.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

If you watch closely at the end you can see the horse say "can I have my effing carrot now?"

Blech
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

For those who don't know the rider, another poster on the other dressage BB posted this.

Diane Olds Rossi is a well known High School Horse trainer who has a lifetime of experience training horses mainly for exhibition and performance. She earned herself a place amongst a list of trainers like, Chuck Grant, David Jaye, Albert Ostermeir, Alex Konyot, Dorita Konyot and a host of others and she was well respected by them and a variety of equestrian experts based on her ability to train a variety of horses for a variety of uses. No doubt she could out ride and out train the majority of the people on this board no matter what the venue or even if, as in the video, she was riding a draft horse. At one time she was sought out by some top competition riders, (one named Hilda comes to mind), for her talent and assistance with training piaffe and passage. She was one of the many people who, early on, contributed to the introduction of the American public to dressage and helped to inspire the growth of interest in dressage that we see today. In my opinion, as a lfetime horsewoman known for her skills as a trainer who excelled in an activity often dominated by men, she is deserving of a certain level of respect and her achievements should be acknowledged.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Let's see what the CotHers have to say about this western dressage freestyle exhibition by Ms. Rossi and her Friesian.

http://youtu.be/8OnwqGf1lDM
    ROFLOL. This is the gal I've seen do "exhibitions" at the Horse Expo in Sacramento, CA. Western dressage? It's not even "dressage." OMG. Her horses can passage and piaffe (sort of) with the high-stepping Friesian gait, but go in a straight line? leg yield or half-pass? do a real pirouette? truly collect? Not so much. When I saw her, she was riding with a double bridle, a running martingale and sidereins - all at the same time. She also is the one with the rare ("rarer than a unicorn!!!") chestnut Friesian - a horse from Europe that - if the registry knows about it - has probably had its sire and dam's papers pulled.

Mike, I would guess that that little self-promoting piece was written by Ms. Rossi herself. I wonder if Hilda schools piaffe and passage using the double, draw reins and a martingale simultaneously.

Oh, Diane Olds Rossi has been around forever - she is an exhibition rider. At least in the past, I've never seen her "claim" to be a competition rider (of any discipline). Like or dislike it, the horse is talented and well trained - maybe not "classical dressage" or "western dressage", but he is a fun horse to watch, he does a lot of high-school tricks, isn't phased by big (loud) crowds.

He is a rare red Friesian - the Friesian breed now genetically tests for "red", and before the testing, it was really rare to find one with a single red gene (the horse will present as black - it takes two red genes to present as red), so to find an actual chestnut is pretty darn rare.

I definitely don't call this classical dressage, but honestly, having seen the two perform several times over the years - both horse and rider are entertainers with skills and talent. NOT classical dressage, don't get me wrong, but she is quite good at doing the high-school tricks.

I would not call this Cowboy or Western dressage - I'd call it exhibition riding.

OMG, I went to her website, apparently she is now a "cowboy dressage" clinician. I guess exhibition riding isn't paying the bills anymore
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

"Is This the Western Cowboy Dressage We've Been Wanting to See?" asks Mike.

What do you think about her bridle, Mike? Is it legal for Western Cowboy dressage?

So the thread title should be revised to "Is this the exhibition riding we've been waiting to see?"

And the answer would still be NO.
    A helmet saved my life.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Oh, Diane Olds Rossi has been around forever - she is an exhibition rider. At least in the past, I've never seen her "claim" to be a competition rider (of any discipline). Like or dislike it, the horse is talented and well trained - maybe not "classical dressage" or "western dressage", but he is a fun horse to watch, he does a lot of high-school tricks, isn't phased by big (loud) crowds.

He is a rare red Friesian - the Friesian breed now genetically tests for "red", and before the testing, it was really rare to find one with a single red gene (the horse will present as black - it takes two red genes to present as red), so to find an actual chestnut is pretty darn rare.
    Agree that a chestnut Friesian can exist, but to be "rarer than the unicorn" they, ipso facto, DON'T exist. ROFLOL!!! In the real world, though, my understanding was the Friesian registry would pull sire and dam's parents if a chestnut foal was produced.

As for Ms. Rossi - such a subtle hint...come on, she "helped" Hilda Gurney? I call B.S. Hilda was probably doing an exhibition of dressage at some event at which Ms. Rossi also appeared, and probably briefly spoke to her. Ta-dah! "I coached Hilda Gurney!"

I have a chestnut unicorn, not all it's cracked up to be.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Huh?? I did not last 30 seconds. What was that?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I have a chestnut unicorn, not all it's cracked up to be.
    That is rare.

All the unicorns I have ever seen were white and shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is rare.

All the unicorns I have ever seen were white and shiny.
    I have a dark bay unicorn! https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...60493611_n.jpg

(My non horsey friends saw that picture and said I had a rare black unicorn. I think I took a few weeks to get what they were talking about.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I have a dark bay unicorn! https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...60493611_n.jpg

(My non horsey friends saw that picture and said I had a rare black unicorn. I think I took a few weeks to get what they were talking about.)
    Now that is extremely rare, what a wonderful unicorn you have there!

I too have seen a real unicorn, apparently they come in all colors!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I too have seen a real unicorn, apparently they come in all colors!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    COTH is truly a marvelous place, what all one gets to learn here.

The only thing missing from this video...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    This isn't anything that I think of when I think of a Cowboy doing dressage, but what do I know? Maybe the term cowboy means "wild west"? Either way, I'm not seeing anything cowboy and I agree that bridle get up in something special... Anything rarer than a "unicorn" should be wearing the bridle in my link. haha

Default Dianne Olds-Rossi

I have never seen Dianne ride in a dressage competition....in exhibitions, sure tons of them. I lived across the street from the stable where this then 4 year old stallion lived and was trained by Dianne until they moved to LAEC where I continued to watch this pair develop for many years. She trained a lot of horses, Andalusians, Fresians and this wonderful arabian in long-lines for exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrUq...layer_embedded

She has helped a number of trainers paricularily with their piaffe and passage and yes, that does include Hilda.