The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh no. New kitty is loose in the house. UPDATE! He came upstairs!

I'm betting he's in the basement. I don't think my other cats will be aggressive at all, but I'm worried. Have to be at work all day, I can search for him tonight. But I don't know whether to leave him loose or try and return him to his room. The room is unheated, so I was leaving the door open and a baby gate up. I didn't think he'd jump the gate, but he has.

I'm afraid trying to either pick him up (ended badly the last time) or trap him with a have a heart will only traumatize him. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by oliverreed; Apr. 3, 2013 at 08:09 AM.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I wouldn't try the trap. He's likely been trapped before (I assume that's how he got to the pound). Leave him be free. He will come out - eventually. Get some stinky food out tonight. He's been cooped up for so long - he probably got bored & wanted to do some exploring . Leave the door to his room open - if he goes back in, try the gate again. Cats from the street (or pound) have fairly good survival instincts (or they'd be dead) ....so he's not going to go looking for a fight with the other kittehs. They'll seek him out, curious of the new arrival....he'll hiss & they'll run - then he'll make a beeline for his room. He's just sewing his oats

Catnip.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    Catnip.
    Oh, there's a thought!

I dont have any advice other than the humane trap but I dont think a lot of cats would walk in and trigger the door a 2nd time.

I definitely can sympathize though ... about 6 years ago I trapped a cat that I had been feeding outside for more than a year and brought him in to join my family. I decided to introduce him to the other cats by putting him in a 3x4 foot crate with blankets covering the top and 2 sides, and letting them "meet" though the bars. Unfortunately I did not realize just how feral this cat was. When I opened the Have a Heart trap inside the crate, he bolted head first into one corner of the crate with enough force to rip apart the duct tape that was securing the corner.
    Fortunately the door to the basement was closed but there was no way this guy was going to be caught. The next day I ended up completely emptying out the "spare room" which was filled with all manner of stuff, stacking that in the living room and barricading every door opening that did not have a closeable door. Then sort of herded this poor cat into what became "his room".

It took months to be able to pet him. Now, years later, he is the most affectionate loving cat imagineable.
    Kinda like a horse, when you win over the trust and affection of the most challenging ones, it is extra special.

good luck, I hope your kitty realizes how lucky he is and comes around quickly.

Update: I found him, in the basement as I thought. Up on a high shelf and there's a place where he cann retreat INTO the wall, but not very far. I'm feeding him up there and have been using deli turkey, got him to eat it out of my hand at one point (And then he licked my hand.) But oh, the drama! Little Bubba kitty is the only one of my other cats who knows where he is and Bubba sits on the basement stairs staring at him. Bubba is SCARED of him. And night before last when I went downstairs to get a drink Booker T was upstairs! Bubba, following me like he always does, freaked out and pandemonium ensued with both cats doing a mad dash to get away from each other.

I predict an interesting time for a while.

I very glad that you found him. Sounds like he's found a place that he can consider his for a while. Hope that Bubba gets used to him quickly.

I can commiserate because I'm going through a much less dramatic version of the same thing right now. My new cat, Lily, settled in quickly. You can see that she doesn't have the routine down pat yet, and she's just starting to realize that Lily is her name, but she's kind of a no drama kitty and she's doing very well. My little "Bubba" is named Becky and she is the definition of the phrase "scardy cat." She's spending a great deal of time under one chair in the living room. I had quite a search until I found her hiding place because she would disappear for hours and hours. I'm still feeding Lily in a separate bedroom, not for Lily's sake, but for Becky, so that she feels comfortable enough to come to the kitchen and eat.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Glad you found Bubba!!

I think this is a good thing, for a kitty that is adapting from a long time in a cage, to a real house. I know it seems strange that the cat would like the basement, but kitty found a safe place, and he's exploring on his own, so maybe he just can't handle the big new world all at once.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Our first cat was a little stray kitten. We had wanted a cat from a litter, but they ran out. The next day, the lady found her alone under a bush in her front yard, pulled her out and called us up. We confined her to the kitchen with a baby gate, the soft netted kind, but she managed to climb over.

She's my baby now, but yes, strays are good at finding their way out.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that Bubba, who usually runs to greet me to get pats and tummy rubs, was in the dining room, wouldn't come, and was intently staring at what turned out to be Booker T, who was in the front hall! Both my adult boys were there but there was no aggression, no interaction. Bookie scuttled off to the basement pretty quick, but I think this is great progress!

2 members found this post helpful.

Getting brave!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes