The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your county code or city code (if you are city limits) might have something about keeping stallions in it.

My county requires a six foot fence to enclose any stallion 3 or older. I have that plus hot wire on both sides and the top. It discourages the jumpers - male and female!
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

Ky fence law has some stuff in it about your right to geld visitors, it's under the "taking up of estrays". If you search you may find references to it in your state as well.

When we put up our fence we were a little concerned about passing diseases over the fence, fighting, etc so we chose to put our own fence in with a wide tractorway between us and our neighbors. Any horse has to go over barb wire and a 4 foot tall electric to get in with the others.

I realize this is totally wrong that OP might have to make allowances for stupid neighbor and set her place up defensively at greater expense, but in the long run I'd rather be snagging Mr Colt out of a tractorway than a pasture with mares, give lutylase, etc. since that owner sounds about as stupid as my neighbor with the intact donkey that visits every other month. How'd she get her DVM if she's that empty headed?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Purchase a fence charger that has a picture of a bull on the box -- not the kind made for horses. Then put up a nice hot wire between you and the neighbor. The kind of fence chargers that mean business are the kind that will keep him off the fence.
    OMG I know that's right. Ask me how I know......

I was washing my horse at a farm where we were just staying the night for the show the next day. There was a big black Angus bull in the back pen and I wasn't paying any attention... then >>>> WHAM!!!>>>>> I about fell to the ground and my horse jumped about 4ft in the air. I guess when your hit a bull wire with you head while hosing down your horse it can lead to near passing out and majorly freaking out your horse.

My horse still let me finish washing him. What a good boy!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    OMG I know that's right. Ask me how I know......

I was washing my horse at a farm where we were just staying the night for the show the next day. There was a big black Angus bull in the back pen and I wasn't paying any attention... then >>>> WHAM!!!>>>>> I about fell to the ground and my horse jumped about 4ft in the air. I guess when your hit a bull wire with you head while hosing down your horse it can lead to near passing out and majorly freaking out your horse.

My horse still let me finish washing him. What a good boy!

Hmmmm sounds like something I might enjoy putting up! XD When we put up the last top strand of hot wire, I sat around just waiting to see her previous colt get lit up.. yah, darn horse had skin like iron I guess because he couldn't feel a thing! I just wish I had the bull charger when he was around, that would've made me so happy! XD And to maybe have the lady get zapped too.. hahaa!!

How'd she get her DVM if she's that empty headed?
    Beats the heck out of me!!! She needs to be re-tested I think! =/ Also, I only have a few more months to deal with this crap as I move to College Station in early June. All my horses, mares and all, are coming with me where they can safely be! I don't need any grade mutt foals coming out of my girls that's for sure, oye.
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Enough is enough already! You have honestly bent over backwards for this nitwit woman! I'd give her a bill for all your trouble and expenses, including vet, fencing, hours you spent, treating her colt, etc. and tell her if he isn't gelded by a certain time (soon!) you will be hiring an attorney, which she will also be paying for until she makes the repairs and snips the problem. You can't be nice to some people and she needs some parameters that are firm as well as a hit to her wallet. And, Fred is right -- the danger to the colt is terrible and I've had a friend that lost a horse on a T-post -- horrible! Take some time and make your list of costs and give her a short timeframe to get him cut! It's a trespassing and damage issue at this point not to mention the danger to your horse and to you! You could also tell her you would impound him for damages and charge board until she cleans up her act and gets it all done if he comes over again! Good luck -- obviously my patience is much less than yours, LOL!
    PennyG

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you do need to go with a hot wire, do not go with wire or tape. Get some of that rope stuff that's about 1/4 inch thick and run it as high as you can get it. It will have a fairly high tensile breaking strength. Colt might break his neck trying to jump that, but that's HER risk.

You have my sympathy. This is a horrible situation.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I should charge for today's board since I locked him up in our previous stallion's paddock all day to avoid putting him back on her side, only to have him back with my horses in less than an hour or so. Thanks everyone.. just waiting for her to come home and realize..she doesn't have a certain tobiano in her yard. -.- I have to agree and was quite shocked that she felt like antibiotics was good enough when the poor colt clearly had quite a large wound on the side of his barrel! I hate having to deal with idiots! =(
    Visit MW Equine!

oye.. top it all off... she came and got the horse without bothering to talk to us!!!! SUPER MAD!
    Visit MW Equine!

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    oye.. top it all off... she came and got the horse without bothering to talk to us!!!! SUPER MAD!
    Take a deep breath and walk over there right now and talk to her!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad she doesn't live next to me (all I have is mares)!!!

As far as the fence I would be concerned that it would be your responsibility to fence out the neighbors horses or animals. At least here in Colorado we are open range. Which means if you don't want the neighbors livestock/horses in your yard it's your responsibility to keep them out.

However, calling animal control wouldn't be out of the question for me.

I say Finder's, Keeper's and have y'all heard of Neuticals?

3 members found this post helpful.

Take off your nice pants indeed and call every authority while simultaneously letting her know in written form who you have contacted and what the consequences will be (your attorney's contact info) as well that you will be writing a letter to the State Board for Veterinarians that she is a negligent horse owner, and cc everybody pronto! Such bullshit!

There once was a stud with such longing,
    He went where he wasn't belonging,
    That he went with his nuts, there are no ifs ands or buts,
    If he returned sans those nuts, is that wrong...ing?

4 members found this post helpful.

I have neutered someone else's cat without asking permission or telling them I had it done but I think a horse's nuts are a little easier to spot if they go missing. Time to play hard ball, no pun intended.

2 members found this post helpful.

I certainly hope you are documenting with photos and time/date every time you have found this colt on your property.

It sounds like your neighbor is residing in la-la land and I would not be surprised if she feigns ignorance and refuses to pay up for the damages and/or gets the horse gelded.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Good luck with all of this! I started a young gelding for a small animal vet many moons ago and I have to say, she was an airhead, too. The gelding was about as bad -- another story! This woman would just "filter" through whatever you said and dwell on one part and discuss it ad nauseum. She finally quit practicing (Thank God!). Yep, some of them can get it from the book and the testing, but common sense is just not there!
    PennyG

I have this suspicion that you are being way too nice about this when you actually communicate with her...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

If I were in your situation I would call the State Veterinary Board and file a complaint for negligence for her animal keeping practices. It may never go anywhere but they just may contact her about it and it just may get her attention.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Thanks again everyone, this matter has been discussed and she feels like it is my fault for having mares when I knew she was getting an intact colt (WTF!!!?!?) -.- I'm compiling pictures (yes I did take some yesterday and then the first (or second cannot remember) time he decided to join my horses) of everything, as well as, trying to find every livestock and equine law for Texas and our county, that way I have sure facts/laws to back up my words if it comes to it, which it most likely will. If this cannot be figured out in a civil way, for sure we'll take her to court. Beyond ridiculous and I'm overly fed up with her and her animals at this point! She said that she would fix the fence, and if they're not fixed to how they were before she moved in with her damaging horses in a short timely manner, words will be exchanged, but I've been told to not talk with her at all for the time being. I'll try to keep things posted =/ So far I have found that our county is closed range, meaning livestock owners are responsible for keeping THEIR animals properly contain on THEIR property, not the other way around (keeping other animals out of OUR property), which we are following the law as our fences keep all of our horses contained. Currently trying to get that in a written statement from some sort of authority so, again, I can have a hard copy of the actual law.

editing to say that when we had a breeding stallion on this exact property, not ONCE did he ever get out or bother any other livestock. He was properly housed in a tall, pipe fenced paddock.
    Last edited by themarchcat; Mar. 27, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: adding more
    Visit MW Equine!