The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this in my rights??

Okay, so we have some pretty...horse stupid neighbors living next to us and this is the second stud colt they have gotten. They have no business having horses, let alone having one that still has his freaking jewels! The sad part is, is that the wife is a vet =/ small animal, but a darn vet nonetheless. Anyways, colt #1 was born out of a mare that the lady rescued some 5+ years ago and he was about yearling or 2 year old age when they moved in next door. I kept mentioning politely, when do you think you're going to get him gelded? and every time it was "soon.. I need to do that!" yeah well that lasted another 3+ years and she NEVER GOT HIM GELDED! He was just about an idiot himself and didn't really know he could breed something up until the last year she had him, when he actually jumped over the fence to our side and covered one of my riding mares. Very frustrating! Well she ended up sending him to an auction (thank the Lord!) and I thought we were done with having to worry about a colt jumping our fence when she got another one about 6 months ago.

Said colt has to be a yearling now and yes, he is still intact. Little sucker likes to jump as well and what do you know.. his favorite friend is my new TB mare! -.- So in the span of about 2 weeks he's jumped the fence to our side at least 6 times to come visit. I don't think he's actually covered her, but I'm worried about that as well so I'll probably have to get my vet out to palpate her and check. In the process he has only cleared the fence once, so all the other times he has broken a piece of the rolled top wire and completely scrunched down a portion of the fence from last night's/morning's jump. -.- Very frustrating and I was so mad this morning that I took him and locked him up in one of our front paddock so he couldn't jump in again! Not to mention, said idiot vet thinks he'll be fine because she "gave him some antibiotics.." she doesn't feel like he needs to have medicine put on the many wounds he's acquired in this time span. (Even though on one of the jumps he partially impaled his side on a t-post...I was nice and took care of tending that wound and it's almost completely healed, but the rest are..beautiful)

Long story short.. do I have the right to call my vet out and have this little sucker gelded and then send her the bill?
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

No, you cannot just geld someone's horse as much as it sounds like it needs to be done. However, I would say that hotwire is definitely your friend in this case. That should help keep him off the fences.

1 members found this post helpful.

No. But I think you would be in your rights to get a lawyer to send a letter detailing the costs incurred for fence repair, time dealing with the colt at say $20 an hour evrery time he has to be returned, vet bills for your mare (you can give her a shot BTW if you think he might have covered her) and then a hefty sum for 'emotional distress'. And a flyer for a gelding clinic.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think you probably know that you can not legally geld a horse belonging to someone else.

Try the 'my vet is coming out next week on Thursday, why not add gelding Dobbin to that appointment and we can split the farm call' approach.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys, I asked my vet this same thing (if he said Yes I was going to ask for an emergency gelding LOL) and he was like, No call the Sheriff before you do something stupid. Sigh, he knows me. I am definitely going to get them to fix the fence! Its ridiculous! Even before he started jumping over he would paw the bottom and now its curled and slouching! I know I can give her some lutalyse, but I'll be sure to consult my vet and get his advice on the best approach =) She said she's "been meaning to geld him herself" for about 6 months now..very frustrating!

Also to the hotwire suggestion, we did that whenever she had the last stud colt. He completely ignored the shocks and ended up messing that up as well (and we strung the whole.. at least 300+ yards of fence line with a top line of hot wire). So we took down what was left of it. I think if I got electric anything it would be electric tape, or a thicker strand of hotwire, something that gave a big punch! All of this is so frustrating =(
    Visit MW Equine!

Yeah I knew the answer would be no.. but I was really hoping for an exception to the law! Sheriff will be getting a call really soon.
    Visit MW Equine!

Mechanics never work on their own cars. Give her a flyer for a free gelding clinic and offer to trailer him in her trailer for her.

And seriously put up a higher fence, whatever it takes. Split the cost with her, or get her to pay for it, but its crazy to have a fence for your animals which doesn't keep the stud out and you end up with injuries to your mare, pregnancy and fence costs. Just makes common sense.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Oye, called the Sheriff's department and they can't do a thing about it, they said to take her to court =/
    Visit MW Equine!

Send her a very polite letter. "Studly has jumped the fence and been on my property x times in the last y weeks. In doing so, I have incurred $x in damage to my fence. On x of these occasions, studly was found in with my mare. My vet bills to date for having the mare checked are $x. Please send me a check for $x. In order to prevent additional bills from piling up, I think it would help to build a taller fence or geld studly. My vet is coming on y date and we could split the call charge."

If she refuses, you have evidence to take to small claims court.

4 members found this post helpful.

Does your area have any special requirements for enclosing stallions?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    No. But I think you would be in your rights to get a lawyer to send a letter detailing the costs incurred for fence repair, time dealing with the colt at say $20 an hour evrery time he has to be returned, vet bills for your mare (you can give her a shot BTW if you think he might have covered her) and then a hefty sum for 'emotional distress'. And a flyer for a gelding clinic.
    This is what I would be doing in a second!

Hot wiring the top of the fence would likely keep him out, but why should that be your responsibility and your expense? I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you, especially with her being a vet!

Honestly, if it were me, I would absolutely put my foot down at this point. I'd go over there and speak to her in person, explain the expenses you've already incurred, and if she does not get him gelded immediately, or do something to the fence line to keep her colt in, I would let her know you will be contacting a lawyer. Period! Enough is enough It's certainly easy enough to file a small claims and take her to court without a lawyer.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Does your area have any special requirements for enclosing stallions?
    My question, too. Around here, there are fencing requirements and (I think) real, actual repercussions should the stallion get out and go on walkabout. Certainly worth investigating if there is something similar where you are.

Hmm, I have no idea if there are stallion requirements here.. that would be something I'd be very interested in for sure! Thanks everyone. Currently keeping Mr. Turd in a paddock behind the house in hopes of drawing her over for a little chat.. She'll definitely be paying for new fences and I was sure to get pictures of the fence line separating the two properties. How odd that the same fencing looks absolutely perfect on our other fences, but near there side.. it's wrecked to pieces. Daventry you are very much right, this morning was the last straw for me so something is going to be done about this that's for sure!
    Visit MW Equine!

have you tried to call animal control?? my neighbor's horses kept getting out and visiting here, and while it didn't really bother me,(I would just herd them into one of our empty paddocks and make a call to the neighbor) when animal control showed up around the 8th time she asked me if I wanted to make a complaint.

~~ I should add that animal control was almost always involved as the "path" to my house from hers is a very busy road, so someone driving always called the police....

I hate to say this but when I am dealing with totally irrational people I exaggerate a story to make a point come home. My story to her would be something along the lines of...

Mr. Studly jumped the fence again and is starting to act very stallion aggressive around myself and my mare. He almost kicked me and I do not want to have to have a lawsuit if he hurts me or another PERSON on my property. By law you are required to contain your animals on your property. Always relay it back to a PERSON, not an ANIMAL...no one cares if an animal gets hurt but lawsuits really do care if a person gets hurt.

I had a neighbor whose dog was always getting loose and coming to my place because he wanted to hang with my dogs. They guys dog was really a decent dog (a bit nervous and sketchy, but chased my cats). First I told him to keep his dog up as he was going to kill my cat(s). That didn't work. Then I told him one time he was going after my cat on my property and when I went to grab him he went to bite me (not exactly true, but he did give me a "funny" look). I told him if he bit me there would certainly be a lawsuit, could lose his property, etc. Dog is now safely contained in a fenced pen.

Same thing with another neighbor that had goats always loose in the road. He didn't want electric fence because he didn't want to maintain it. One day another neighbor hit a goat with their car...all was OK but told the goat neighbor that she had to slam on her brakes, lost control of the car and was now going to have to see her Dr about a sore neck and would send his home owners insurance the bill. He strung electric that weekend.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

The fact that this poor colt has 'nearly impaled himself' on the Tpost really jumped out at me.
    This is such a serious and catastrophic accident waiting to happen, and no fault of the horse.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Purchase a fence charger that has a picture of a bull on the box -- not the kind made for horses. Then put up a nice hot wire between you and the neighbor. The kind of fence chargers that mean business are the kind that will keep him off the fence.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The fact that this poor colt has 'nearly impaled himself' on the Tpost really jumped out at me.
    This is such a serious and catastrophic accident waiting to happen, and no fault of the horse.

Thank you!!! She has no right to have horses and it seriously bothers me. I don't blame the horse for wanting to come join "the dark side", but I really don't want to have to deal with him (grade paint colt) breeding my nice TB mare. I don't feel at fault, because my horses have never caused her any problem, it's always her animals (stud colts) due to her lack of management. =/ I would keep my mare locked away in a paddock by herself, but she's a worrier and will frantically pace up and down the fence cause she's not with her friends and I'm afraid she'd try to do something stupid and hurt herself because of that. The only win is to the geld the colt, then this whole issue would go away... (after they've fixed all our fencing!)
    Visit MW Equine!

I completely agree with Daventry. Take off your 'nice pants' and march your butt to this womans front door. (don't wait for her to come to you!)

Be polite, but extremely firm. Do not be vague or sugar coat anything. No offence but it sounds to me that to this point you've been a little too 'neighbourly' and I get it for sure. But YOU should not be worrying about your mares, incurring vet costs, fixing your fences or helping this woman out in any manner... I feel bad for the colt but I mostly feel bad that you're getting walked on... this woman clearly doesn't take you seriously.

If she doesn't give you a FIRM date - ask for one. WHEN will he be gelded. Let her know that if it's not done when she says, you will have no choice but to take some legal action for all the expenses you are incurring..

GOOD LUCK! Not a situation anyone wants to have to deal with