The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Hey, if you can fit in them without showing butt crack, more power to you! I just want more options. I'm so tired of the one size fits all mentality to products. Shouldn't we, who often spend over $100 on a pair of breeches, be more demanding and picky and stop feeding the corporations that are not giving us what we want? Why do we pay for sloppy seconds--and full price at that!

Why are we also accepting the uber fashion victim trends where "these clothes do not fit and do not help us in our riding, but hey, don't we look trendy?"

(Okay, I need to stop or we'll all break out singing Kumbaya. )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I ordered 6 brands of breeches in multiple sizes and found 1 that fit. But that's the same as regular clothes-some brands fit, some I don't even bother to try on anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    I ordered 6 brands of breeches in multiple sizes and found 1 that fit. But that's the same as regular clothes-some brands fit, some I don't even bother to try on anymore.
    And don't you love it when you find, say, one pair of pants in a brand at a set size that fit like a glove will fit completely different from another pair of the exact same brand and size? It drives me nuts. When I was young (yeah, we did walk to school in freezing temps and three feet of snow--both ways--and uphill) you could find a brand and size that worked and just stick with it. Now, they only do correct sizing for men. It also worked for shoes. They didn't think everyone was a medium.

You could find something and then have brand loyalty. Now they don't care. It's about cheap products and selling more of them--and making people just deal with it. Oh for the days of the inspector tags in my clothes, too.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Velvet, this is what creates hoarders. Of course I know this isn't true, but it is why I have nearly a dozen shirts stacked on my shelf, in a variety of colors. The same size and style, from the same place. And I've never, ever been happy about seeing the "new, improved styling" on anything.

On that rare day I find a pair of breeches that I really like, I'm going to buy multiples. Because I'm convinced some pinhead will decide to "improve" the style just before the last pair wears out. I'm thinking about Equissentials, and maybe that's the answer for me.

It is a huge incentive not to change size or shape.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Velvet, this is what creates hoarders. Of course I know this isn't true, but it is why I have nearly a dozen shirts stacked on my shelf, in a variety of colors. The same size and style, from the same place. And I've never, ever been happy about seeing the "new, improved styling" on anything.

On that rare day I find a pair of breeches that I really like, I'm going to buy multiples. Because I'm convinced some pinhead will decide to "improve" the style just before the last pair wears out. I'm thinking about Equissentials, and maybe that's the answer for me.

It is a huge incentive not to change size or shape.
    I know how that goes. I found a style of breech that I liked (better than others--I wasn't in love with them) and bought a couple pair. Next thing I knew they were on clearance and discontinuing the style. I didn't have enough money to buy a lot of them even on clearance before they were out of my size. Now I can't find anything to fit right, again.

It's not as if I'm that odd of a fit, either! It used to be that I could always find something I loved. Sometimes at over $200, but I could find something. Now it's nearly impossible. Part of my problem is the switch from real leather in the full seats. Why the heck did we go away? Convenience? I thought the leather worked just fine. I took very good care of them. I still have a couple pair I sometimes fit into (when I lose a few pounds) that I've had for 20 years.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Truly the "hipster" breeches look best when paired with the "shrunk in the wash" tops and jackets.

Especially if you've got 10+ pounds to spare.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Truly the "hipster" breeches look best when paired with the "shrunk in the wash" tops and jackets.

Especially if you've got 10+ pounds to spare.
    Reminds of being at the beach and watching people wear bikinis who looked like it was about two sizes too small. Scary.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Oh, and long enough shirts, tucked in, are key, so there is no display of skin when moving around.
    Women's shirts are NEVER long enough for me to tuck in to lower rise pants. Hell, even regular rise pants can't keep the back from untucking. And I hate how men's shirts give me no shape to speak of. Though with the shoulders of a linebacker I usually have no choice.

FWIW, I am 5'6" with a 28" inseam. All of my height is in my torso. And now that long breeches are a lot longer in the legs too I can't even go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    It also worked for shoes. They didn't think everyone was a medium.
    I wear a 6 1/2 E with a high instep. Birkenstocks fit pretty well. But that's it (that is not a special order online). I even get my paddock boots custom made.

I think we need to ASK the industry to change the sizing. They need to tell us the exact waist, hips, inseam, AND crotch length on their breeches. This way we'd know what we're getting. They don't have to offer MORE sizes, just mark them so we can tell what we're getting. Oh, and if they are doing full seats, just freaking run the fake leather (or fake leather) all the way down the entire inseam. It will probably actually cost less in production in the long run and will help remove the issue of knowing if your thighs are too long and the seam will end up at the knee. This way they'd fit more people.

Honestly, why can't we do this? In men's clothing they go by waist and inseam. We're just asking for them to add a few more measurements to the tags. I think they should actually do this for all clothes. Why can't we do that in this day and age??? It might help with competition, too. People can see what another company is doing and try to hit a slightly different size range and grab a different share of the market.

Oh, wait, there I go thinking logically again.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Honestly, why can't we do this? In men's clothing they go by waist and inseam.
    Men's clothing has fallen victim to vanity sizing as well.

Yeah, it's completely crazy...street clothes too. Back in the 1980s, I wore a size 14 dress, pretty consistently. I'm the same height, weight, bra size, waist size, etc... I was back then...but NOW I wear a size 6, or a size 8, or a size 10, or even, sometimes, a size 4 (excuse me...I'm 5'9", weigh 145 and have a DD cup bra, 28 inch waist...I am NOT a size 4!!!). .What do the women who actually are petite wear?.. It's nuts, I have to take every size between 4 and 10 into the fitting room to see what size I wear on any given day and in any given store.

It would be great if they just sold by measurements, forget the "sizes", which mean nothing and cause so much angst.

It would be great if they just sold by measurements, forget the "sizes", which mean nothing and cause so much angst.
    Well, some brands of women's clothing are selling by "fit." Then they give each particular "fit" a name. The ones that I can think of that do it are Talbots, Eddie Bauer, Ann Taylor and LOFT. It is pretty handy to just know what particular "fit" works for you. Particularly with online shopping.

Don't get me started on sizes. I was a real 6 or 8 all my life. Now I am a zero or 2. I lost a bunch of weight a couple of years ago and I was in big trouble because there is nothing smaller than zero! I was following little Asian women around to see where they bought their pants.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

.What do the women who actually are petite wear?.. .
    Believe me, there aren't a lot of choices, but 26 breeches are still pretty much 26.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Amen! I think butt crackage is extremely classless but I adore low-waisted breeches. I am short and like a relaxed fit so I often suffer from the armpit breeches. True confession, one time I reached forward to pat my mare u/s and got my sports bra and belt stuck together. That shouldn't even be possible!!
    thanks so much for the great laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post

Don't get me started on sizes. I was a real 6 or 8 all my life. Now I am a zero or 2. :
    I often see internet arguments about weight/dress sizes, and there will ALWAYS be one or two people that will pipe up with something like 'Well, Marilyn Monroe was a size 16*, I rest my case!', and I think, 'Well...no!'

Size 16 back when Marilyn was clothes shopping and what is size 16 in the stores today bear no resemblance whatsoever. I don't know enough about clothes measurements else I would love to work out what she would have been wearing in current sizings, unless someone already did and thats where the sz16 comes from in which case, great.

(* I don't actually know if that was size 16 in American or UK sizes)

Vanity sizing is a complete pain, I just want things that fit, I don't feel any better about getting a bit chubby just because my clothes labels are telling me I'm tiny!

Totally agree, Loopy! I could care less what the size says. I know when my favorite jeans are too tight or too loose. I don't need a size on the rack to make me feel good!! I also hate that I can be a size 4, 6 or 8 depending on the brand name. So stupid.

And to Alicen, yeah, the waist may be the same, but they've changed the meaning of "long" and they've altered the width of the calf and thigh, and lets not forget the butt crack issue and the way the full seats no longer go all the way down the entire inseam of the breeches. A 26 is not always the same!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"