The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I am short and like a relaxed fit so I often suffer from the armpit breeches. True confession, one time I reached forward to pat my mare u/s and got my sports bra and belt stuck together. That shouldn't even be possible!!
    I'm dying laughing!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I like them about as much as really low rise jeans, Forget bending over, Dan Aykroyd comes to mind! Awful.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it depends on build and how they fit you. I am tall thin and leggy - my butt has never been close to exposed including bending over to pick out feet. Sometimes if I've worn them a few times without washing they stretch out a bit and then that is what a belt is for. I think they are meant to be worn with a very close fit - so if you are sizing up to have some "bagginess" than the waist will gap and leave you in a high risk situation!

You know, none of the dressage riders I know fit the demographic for the truly low rise breeches. Teenagers wear the low risers, which is fine. I teach high school, so there is no avoiding exposed flesh. That part doesn't bother me at all.

What are ubiquitous are breeches that sit below the waist, which to me is a huge improvement over the high waisted breeches of yore. I ride more comfortably than I ever have. My $90 Ovation Celebrity breeches are in high rotation. My $290 Pikeurs not so much.
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Mar. 26, 2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: To make more sense
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Weird question, but have you ever tried on men's breeches? I wonder how they'd fit in comparison, especially for those of us blessed with being born with the waist/hip ratio akin to a brick.
    I am almost completely straight up and down (not helped by being a bit pudgy) and men's breeches are by far the most comfortable for me. They fit my barely there waist and are still tight on my bum and legs. To get ladies breeches to fit my waist, they tend to have huge hips and thighs and look terrible on me.

It is comforting to know I am not the only one suffering with this!! I am so long in the upper body I have to order SHIRTS from companies that offer women's tall sizing. I thought buying jeans was the worst until Low Rise hit the breeches market. As many varieties as most companies offer, I can NOT believe that offering some regular rise options is too difficult.

Gotta love the full moon rising effect of squatting down in mid rise full seats with tall boots on to put polo wraps on. UGH.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I like them about as much as really low rise jeans, Forget bending over, Dan Aykroyd comes to mind! Awful.
    I'm showing my age...I GET that comment!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    It is comforting to know I am not the only one suffering with this!! I am so long in the upper body I have to order SHIRTS from companies that offer women's tall sizing. I thought buying jeans was the worst until Low Rise hit the breeches market. As many varieties as most companies offer, I can NOT believe that offering some regular rise options is too difficult.

Gotta love the full moon rising effect of squatting down in mid rise full seats with tall boots on to put polo wraps on. UGH.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I have long legs and a stump of a barrel torso. If I don't get low rise I look like Ed Grimley. Add big boobs & it is just a horrible sight through which I would not want to make others suffer.

Of course there is low rise & LOW LOW rise.

I have really liked the kerrits tights that are lower in the front, but not so low in the back. Also the Horze breeches labeled as low don't look low, but seem to be just right on me.

Irideon Windpros. Supposed to be a warm and cosy breech. Hah! Bend over to pick feet, or even sit down in the saddle, and you've suddenly got a howling draft where no draft should be in the depths of winter. And no belt loops to help resolve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Here ya go, Velvet!

http://www.trendytopontv.com/
    Pretty sure I wore the heck out of belly bands like that when I was pregnant. But at least for that, it was actually super useful. Amazing what people come up with.

I too stick with mostly Tuff Rider and Riding Sport. Affordable, and don't let my generous behind hang out. Do love the one pair of Horze Grand Prix breeches I got too.

The two pairs of gappy low rise breeches I do have, which happen to be winter breeches, so I do wear them, I tuck my shirt in with.

F-Low rise Kerrits happy in between low rise butt crack and armpit high rise. There's nothing long about my body, I'm short everywhere, but I'm also pudgy right at the waist area, so neither typical rise nor low rise fits (like most people!) so these are happy in betweens.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I'm showing my age...I GET that comment!
    LOL Thank goodness someone does!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    F-Low rise Kerrits happy in between low rise butt crack and armpit high rise. There's nothing long about my body, I'm short everywhere, but I'm also pudgy right at the waist area, so neither typical rise nor low rise fits (like most people!) so these are happy in betweens.
    The Flo-rise are just too short for me. If I pull them up--I get camel toe. If I leave them low, I could be accused of butt crack showing. Not an in between for me.

I think they did go for a happy medium and missed. The original design of Kerrits with the draw strings and the ones without but REAL leather full seats were their best ideas. The new stuff just seems too cheap to me. Like they got to big and went for the largest profit margin and kissed quality goodbye.

Isn't their stuff made in China now?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    I think it depends on build and how they fit you. I am tall thin and leggy - my butt has never been close to exposed including bending over to pick out feet. Sometimes if I've worn them a few times without washing they stretch out a bit and then that is what a belt is for. I think they are meant to be worn with a very close fit - so if you are sizing up to have some "bagginess" than the waist will gap and leave you in a high risk situation!
    Same here. Tall and thin and the low rise breeches fit me the best. They are actually the only fit that DON'T gap at the waist for me. Mid and higher rise breeches (and other pants) all leave a huge gap and bubble in my lower back if they fit through the hips and thighs. I don't have much for a butt, and hence not much of a butt crack, so I've never had a plumber type issue. And, yes, I always wear a belt. I'm 50 no less, so the fit isn't only for the young...I think it is for specific body types, the problems start when they are worn by body types they are not designed for, for fashion reasons. Oh, and long enough shirts, tucked in, are key, so there is no display of skin when moving around.

I've had pretty good luck with "Trainer's Choice," but once they were discovered they started to get expensive. What I liked about them is the "relaxed fit," I'm not really a big fan of the sausage casing look. I actually feel better in the saddle if my thighs can flatten a bit naturally to provide more friction.

I DO think the major designers are looking for high-volume sales to the target demographic, which is probably 16 year old girls doing H/J mostly. Totally agree with those upthread who discussed the "Made in China" syndrome. Don't think that's happening just with riding clothes! Even Brooks Bros. has gone that way, with a similar decline in fabrics and quality.

Your TAILOR is your friend!!! You'd be amazed how a nip here and a tuck there can transform the fit. If you live in a horsey area, you should be able to find a tailor familiar with riding clothes' requirements. Just factor in the cost of alterations to any pair you buy.

BTW, for those of us over 40 a great deal of anatomical TMI can be covered discreetly by a smart-looking riding vest or long-tailed polo in a color to compliment your breeches.

well I for one cannot wear low rise anything. I have genetic thunder thighs with a tiny but and big waist. I wear anything low rise they try to come off and secondly anyone riding in a thong take pity on them, they probably no longer have a natural ditch, its more like a canyon I rode one time in a thong on a horse whose trot was similar to an unbalanced washing machine for a one hour dressage lesson, I was just hurting so bad and begging for forgiveness from anyone who would give it. I had a big red stripe down my backside. never again, never again

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I am almost completely straight up and down (not helped by being a bit pudgy) and men's breeches are by far the most comfortable for me. They fit my barely there waist and are still tight on my bum and legs. To get ladies breeches to fit my waist, they tend to have huge hips and thighs and look terrible on me.
    Thanks, ddashaq. I might end up giving that a try since it sounds like our physiology is similar. I don't even buy ladies pants anymore, but men's jeans, khakis, etc.

If it matters, Sannoid, I got the Dan Aykroyd reference too!

I just got an ad from Horze where they describe the breeches as "normal waist" -so there you go, those might work too.

I'm pretty average sized (5'5", 28/30 size breeches, and would never be accused of being a "skinny chick"), with an average crotch length and waist length, and the only breeches I can wear are low-rise breeches. Haven't ever come anywhere close to a butt-crack incident.....even when I'm contorted like a pretzel trying to get that last &%*$( stud in my guy's foot.

I say that to point out that those breeches aren't made only for the skinny, leggy, want-to-show-skin teenage crowd. I think they're made for the *slight* majority.

And breeches that are even the tiniest bit too high (in the waist) look horrible with polo shirts or ratcatchers tucked in. It's FAR more flattering to see breeches that sit at the hip bones than ones that sit at the belly button (IOW, right above the pooch).