The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Butt Crack Breeches

I just saw the ad for TS breeches in the corner of the forum page. Ugh. Why are butt crack showing breeches still so uber popular???

I just cannot find them comfortable. Oh, I know that there are people with shorter waists that love them, but why is it that we've been seeing these for YEARS now and hardly any company offers something different; something with a higher waist? What is up with thinking everyone out there wants to wear the same thing? I can find higher wasited breeches, but they are few and far between.

Oh, and for those who are fashion victims and wear the style and it does not really fit your body type, can those of us who are tired of watching horse people bend over to pick a hoof and show their thongs and plumbers butt get a break sometime soon?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

7 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I just got a banner ad for "Mr. Plumber" at the top of this page. Creepy!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

11 members found this post helpful.

I have a very high and very short waist. I looked like the broadside of a barn in low rise breeches, blehk. But I don't think they are that flattering on anyone really. The crack show is just the icing on the cake.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have longer legs but short-waisted. Anything regular to high rise make me look like I have my breeches hiked up to my chest (really not a good look). I tend to like the lower rise breeches myself, but only keep them if I don't give a show while bending over. No peep shows from me.

6 members found this post helpful.

And if the zipper is in the front and you have even a flat stomach, the make you look like you have a pooched out tummy even when you don't!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    And if the zipper is in the front and you have even a flat stomach, the make you look like you have a pooched out tummy even when you don't!
    Thx V for saying what we’re all thinking. Other than shopping certain brands for a higher waist at much higher prices I have to add a bit of stretch waistband material to my pull on breeches just to keep them from riding down and to hold those jiggly bits in I wish they would just come out with a normal (a little higher) waisted show breech as well as a nice pull on tight style for schooling!!
    I can't even think about wearing a zipper in the front - its got to be on the side for me...
    Oh well back to the sewing machine!

Yeah, the constant need to pull them up is awful. I used to love pull on breeches like Kerrits, but even they went too low. If you pull them up it looks even worse in the crotch! I actually used to like the elastic with the additional draw string to adjust to, er, monthly requirements.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Here ya go, Velvet!

http://www.trendytopontv.com/

Thanks, but I'd rather just have breeches that come up higher. The squish-me long top doesn't help with the pants feeling like they're falling down.
    Last edited by Velvet; Mar. 26, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I have been wearing the Irideon Cadence breeches lately. I always buy the longs so the waist is high enough. They work pretty well and I like that there is no zipper or hardware on the front to scratch anything. The fabric is slightly compressive but not uber restrictive to address many concerns (like the monthly requirement ).
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd rather just have breeches that come up higher. The squish-me long top doesn't help with the pants feeling like they're falling down.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic. I'm 4'11" and before this trend was sick of breeches waists that came up around my armpits or the crotch would be so long it would dangle half way down my thigh.

They should make breeches for both shortwaisted and long waisted people.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Yes!!! This is the problem. Well, that and the people who are long waisted and wear pants so low you can see if they've had a Brazillian or not ( just a joke, people), as well as their plumber butt (no joke here) and the color of their thong.

I don't get the one-size fits all mentality, nor designers who make clothes that are not for all body types and yet everyone runs out and tries to wear them. This latest trend to have "fashion" in the horse world just makes me sad. What a waste. It's not about what you wear, it's about how well you ride!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Velvet, I don't own anything low rise I use tuff rider, and kerrits. Some pikeur work too but I don't like their fabric.
    There's too many men at my barn to be showing more of my ASSets while picking hooves! LOL
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    It's not that I'm not sympathetic. I'm 4'11" and before this trend was sick of breeches waists that came up around my armpits or the crotch would be so long it would dangle half way down my thigh.

Amen! I think butt crackage is extremely classless but I adore low-waisted breeches. I am short and like a relaxed fit so I often suffer from the armpit breeches. True confession, one time I reached forward to pat my mare u/s and got my sports bra and belt stuck together. That shouldn't even be possible!!

If just one company could make reasonably priced breeches in short/long waist and short/long leg they would make bank.

6 members found this post helpful.

I just saw the ad for TS breeches in the corner of the forum page. Ugh. Why are butt crack showing breeches still so uber popular???
    Because some have the body to wear them .... and for those that don't, please don't try.

Weird question, but have you ever tried on men's breeches? I wonder how they'd fit in comparison, especially for those of us blessed with being born with the waist/hip ratio akin to a brick.

So glad we're venting about this - I too am thoroughly fed up with looking at catlogs, hoping to find a decent pair of new breeches and finding that about 90% of them are low rise or mid rise and I can't wear those things either. I am 5'6" and have to push the car seat forward about six inches to reach the gas pedal - I'm built like a dachsund with long wasit and short legs sigh. My husband is the same height and he has to push the car seat back after I've driven it.
    I don't mind in the least having a selection of low rise breeches for them that needs 'em but for crying out loud the rest of us are being truely neglected. I'm nearly ready to say "discriminated against."
    The "Tuff Riders" are great - I have those and some Riding Sports - Pikeurs are a bit pricey for me. It would be nice to have more to choose from, and in more color choices other than black and beige.

I think if the manufacturers were smart, they would do long and short (waist and length as suggested) and just change fabric, color and design (side zip, tights, etc.) from one year to the next.

These are for a sport, after all.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Weird question, but have you ever tried on men's breeches? I wonder how they'd fit in comparison, especially for those of us blessed with being born with the waist/hip ratio akin to a brick.
    They'd probably be too long in the zipper....

Velvet - I agree with your last post! It is silly constantly changing the shape of your breeches instead of having consistency in shape (but a variety of shapes) and changing up materials.

I like higher rise in back/lower rise in front because otherwise either the pants cause crackage or the front reaches the bottom of my bra. Just a pain! I also won't spend money on the super expensive breeches people love without trying them on first, and with no local tack store that doesn't happen anymore!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I think if the manufacturers were smart, they would do long and short (waist and length as suggested) and just change fabric, color and design (side zip, tights, etc.) from one year to the next.

These are for a sport, after all.
    Agreed!

I think, and y’all can chime in, most manufacturers are relying on their breech being made in foreign countries where the sizing is obviously not respected (and the original brand name does not quality control the sizing) – so that they can sell for a max profit. This brings to mind the Smart Pak Bradley breech, for an example, which is so bass-ackwards in sizing that it fits very few of us.
    Companies like Pikeur, Eurostar, Tropical rider and the like, are much more expensive but also provide the QC to properly fit their breech according to the size. They can decide on creating different options in crotch depth, which is what they call it, or leg length, etc…

Tailors use these ways to measure :

• To find your body’s crotch depth
    Sit on a hard, flat chair. Using a straight-edge ruler, measure from the side of your waist to the chair. This will be your body’s crotch length.
    • To find the crotch depth of your pattern
    Measure from the crotch line up to the waistline seam. Your measurement line should be close to the side seam, but parallel to the grain line. Pants crotch depth should equal your body’s crotch depth, plus 1/2” (1.3 cm) of ease for hips up to 36” (91.5 cm) wide. Larger sizes may need to include up to 1 1/4” (3.2 cm) of ease.

TIP: Many pants in today’s styles are worn up to 1 ½” below the natural waistline; if this is the case, it will be marked on your pattern. When measuring the crotch depth of your pattern piece, you will have to add this measurement to the top at the waistline. This will give an apples-to-apples comparison, with both measurements beginning at the natural waistline.
    • To find your body’s crotch length
    Using a flexible tape measure, measure from center back at your natural waistline, between your legs, to the center front at your natural waistline.

I for one, have to literally measure the crotch length before I know the breech is going to be right for me. So that I know there wont be sagging in front or in back!

These are a riding pant and not an everyday pant. Our requirements as riders are different. Sadly the most popular brands haven’t realized this.