The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What To Do About Cat "Issue"

I have talked to my fiancee, my mother, and my father. They are all in agreeance that I should not but I still fell wrong. I hit a cat this morning doing my route in a well populated neighborhood. I was not speeding, and only saw the cat pop out of the bush when it was way to late. I feel horrible, like I committed murder, which I basically did. I have never hit a kitty before. I did move it out of the road (big deal for me, I do not do dead anything at all), but I want to go find the owners and apologize. What does everyone else think? I have had one of my own cats run over cause he slipped outside, and it is so heartbreaking when you have a bond with them. I don't know the bond between this pet and its owner but I do feel bad. I can go after I get done at my dad's office and do it. I could not do it at 4:30am though. Would you? Have you? I never felt this bad about the opossums or rabbits I have hit, but they were more suicidal than anything. And I do know it could not have been a feral, it was to well kept for that.

Oh, that's a shame. Personally, I would try and contact the owners. It was an accident, don't beat yourself up.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Don't beat yourself up, it happens as horrible as it is. I don't think you're under any obligation to find the owner but if you would like to it might help them to know it was sudden, that it was an accident, ect.

I remember once my room mates' cat was hit on the road-we lived in a super busy neighborhood and they always let their cats out. They FREAKED OUT about how someone had "KILLED" their cat and I remember thinking "...but...YOU let the cat out..?" I had to pick up that one off the road too and it's a horrible experience; I'm sorry you had to deal with that first thing this morning!

I think just do what works for you; you don't owe anyone anything.

I'm sorry - I hate killing anything. I've cried over hitting a squirrel. You moved it & that was kind. I wouldn't go seeking out the owner....people are nuts & you might end up with some soccer Mom going postal on you - which would just add insult. If one of my pets was hit, I wouldn't feel better knowing who hit it - doesn't change the fact that the pet is gone. You know it was an unavoidable accident & you weren't aiming for it. Hopefully it will be gone & burried by the time you get out of work. (hugs)

Default You did what you could

And it was nice of you to move it. Knowing who hit their cat won't make it any better, they'll know it was an accident, it's sometimes what happens to kitties who play outdoors.

Do not beat yourself up over this one. We have only 12 houses on our road, and one of my beloved barn kitties was hit by a car several years ago. I found her in the road in front of the barn when I went out to do morning chores. She was still warm. It was pretty obvious which house the cat lived at, no one ever stopped to say sorry. It did not occur to me to be angry and it did not matter who hit her. She made a bad decision to cross the road at the wrong time. We lose about one every couple of years to coyote (that's what we presume when the just don't come home one day) but have never lost another one to a car.

The other day, our big black and white male was on the other side of the FREEWAY on the freeway side of the fence. He had to cross an overpass bridge, go thru dense wire fence, and was about 20 feet from traffic on I 75.

Do you think when I drove over the bridge and tromped out to the fence near where he was he would come? No siree, he just ignored me and went back to either planning a suicide or hunting, I'm not sure which.

I just knew I was going to see his body on the freeway, or the bridge on my way home that night, but he was sitting in the kitchen window, waiting on his treats.

Unless you keep them in the house, they just do what they do.

Sometimes, it ends badly.

Nothing you can do about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, you need to do whatever will produce good "closure" on the accident for you.

As a CO (cat owner), I'd be touched if someone came to apologize for hitting my cat. It would make me feel like Kitteh had been cared for as best anyone could, even in a shitty circumstance and even by a stranger.

It brightens my day when I see people Do The Right Thing even in a bad situation. It makes me more determined to pay that forward and think the best of people.

Do your best. If you can't take it or can't find the CO, move on. Your heart was in the right place.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Unless it had a collar with a name and address, how do you know it was anyone's cat? Around here, if a cat got splatted, it would be anyone's guess whose it was (I know what the two my next-door neighbors own look like, and I have a vague idea what house a particular calico comes from, but the rest...) It would be a bit odd to go knocking on doors asking "Did you used to have a cat?" And what would you do if you DIDN'T find the cat's owner?

It was an accident. This happens with outdoor cats. You did a lot more already than most people would. You feel bad because you hit it, (I felt bad hitting a possum and I hate the nasty little scavengers) but it's not like you MURDERED the cat.

Since I know how I'd feel if it was my dog, I'd probably force myself to go back to the neighborhood and try to track down the owners. They might not even know the cat's been killed, and if they don't find it quickly - well, it's gruesome, but I've seen how fast road-killed animals go from recognizable cat to generic cat shape to cat-sized mounds to a smear on the road. And there is nothing worse than not knowing - I've lost dogs for a total of maybe 20 minutes, and I was a wreck. I don't even want to imagine just never having one come home.

Perhaps, in lieu of contacting the owner, you might make a nice donation to a local animal charity?

Depending on your neighborhood, going to the owner might not turn out well. As others said, there is nothing to be done now and you did the right thing to move him/her from the roadway.

Couple years ago as I was driving from home and near my home, I saw a deceased cat in the road. I moved it off the road and recognized it as a cat I'd seen at a nearby house. I stopped in at the house to let the elderly man know that the cat was no longer with us. He asked me if I'd hit it (which I'd not - the cat was in rigor at that point). Otherwise, he didn't seem too concerned.

Anyway ... maybe do something to help the cats who remain among us and could use a helping hand.

I know if it were my cat, I would want to know, just so I wouldn't be worrying about why it didn't come home or if it were stuck somewhere dying of dehydration.

However, if there are no tags, I would leave it at that.

Thank you everyone. I do still feel bad, and I could not track down the owner sadly enough. Kitty was removed by the time I got there around 6pm last night so I am guessing someone did find him. There was only one house I did knock at but the cars that had been there that morning were gone when I showed up. Thank you for helping me out. And I do help a cat rescue down here, I have been involved with them off and on since I was 12. And of course this morning my favorite kitty greeted me on my route to get his ride he has been missing out on for a few months Everyone who knows me says by 40 I will be the crazy cat lady Ferals love me, domestics love me more!

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFarm View Post
    Perhaps, in lieu of contacting the owner, you might make a nice donation to a local animal charity?

Depending on your neighborhood, going to the owner might not turn out well. As others said, there is nothing to be done now and you did the right thing to move him/her from the roadway.

Couple years ago as I was driving from home and near my home, I saw a deceased cat in the road. I moved it off the road and recognized it as a cat I'd seen at a nearby house. I stopped in at the house to let the elderly man know that the cat was no longer with us. He asked me if I'd hit it (which I'd not - the cat was in rigor at that point). Otherwise, he didn't seem too concerned.

Anyway ... maybe do something to help the cats who remain among us and could use a helping hand.
    IMO, it makes no difference whether or not the interaction with the CO "goes well" from the OP's point of view. That's not how Doing The Right Thing works-- with some guaranteed pay-off.

OP, chances are that Cat was close to home. You can ring the doorbell of the house across the street from the accident and ask. If it's not their cat, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

If you just.can't.bring.yourself to face the CO, I think a donation to a CatCentric charity as a good second best.

ETA: Oops! Didn't see that you had resolved it. Good on ya for taking prompt action. I'm glad your world is full of cats-- the rescue kind and your own.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat