The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Boarding in/near South Central Houston, TX

...specifically in or near that triangle (South Central Houston) that is formed by 288, 45, and 610. I have one last interview Friday and I want to use the weekend to scope out some boarding options too. Again, I'm not picky. I will look at all levels of care, but do not want to spend more than $650/month. A covered arena would be great, but is not absolutely necessary. What is necessary is safe fencing, an arena of some sort, and a convenient location. I can't spend 4 hours in traffic each day driving to and from the barn.

Thanks in advance!

My google search has yielded Blue Fox Farms, Foxfire Farms, and All Heart Horse Farm as boarding options near south central Houston. Does anyone have experience with these three?

I do not have experience with the area, but THJA/GHHJA has a list of trainers in the area that might give you some leads.

http://thja.org/Trainers/Trainers.aspx
    http://www.ghhja.org/links.html

If you are looking at Dressage barns, Solstice Farms is close to you, and Grand Oaks Equestrian is a bit further out. Both nice barns.

Thanks toxicity. That list is quite long. Unfortunately, it lists trainers and stables in Houston, but doesn't specify N/S/E/W. I'm having to look up every barn on the list and compare locations

suzyq, dressage barns are acceptable as well, but preferably not something >$700 per month. That's out of my budget. I really appreciate the suggestions though! They are nice-looking facilities.

Solstice- great barn great peeps. Really great facility, never boarded there but I have shown there and loved it. Traffic to and from there during certain times of the day or when the rodeo is in town can drive the most saintly of drivers crazy.
    Foxfire- Great barn, better fencing than it had be warned it's a lesson barn for oodles of children so FYI. Covered arena and decent jumps. No shows here and they do give dressage and jumping lessons and the trainers live on site. They also have school horses of various levels.
    Blue Fox and All Hearts I am unfamiliar with.
    Foxfire is exactly in the location you are looking for literally 610s to south post oak and you are there.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

So the interview went great. They gave me an offer on the spot. I liked the school, but it's in the third ward. When you look at a map of Houston's crime rate, it is lit up bright red. And the traffic was atrocious. I didn't look at any barns on Friday because the interview took five hours. I'm planning on going back down Sunday to get a feel for apartments.

Seeing as how the school is in a less than ideal area, I'm thinking about living near my boarding facility and commuting. Are any of the barns on or near the metro line? Do any of these barns have apartment complexes near-by?

Solstice & Sam Houston Eq Center have several apartment complexes nearby, some really nice, others not so much... Search the Med Center area. I used to live off Almeda inside the 610 loop, took about 15 min to get to Solstice, depending on traffic/ time of day...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I used to live there and have boarded and have friends who have boarded at several of the places listed. Feel free to PM me. Really.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by LEL View Post
    My google search has yielded Blue Fox Farms, Foxfire Farms, and All Heart Horse Farm as boarding options near south central Houston. Does anyone have experience with these three?
    YES. PM me.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation