The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default STRAPPED to the saddle for pony ride???

http://photos.pennlive.com/getty/201...rd_2013_4.html

Please tell me I'm seeing things, and they do NOT have this child's leg velcro'ed to the saddle!!!!!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Yeah, it looks like some sort of velcro strap. Not sure why....

Frankly I'm more disturbed about a lack of helmet, but that's just me.
    Alis volat propriis.

2 members found this post helpful.

waaaaaay back in the bad old days there was sometimes a leather belt around the kid's waist that was clipped to a d-ring. kind of like the safety belts on some carousel horses.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was a kid (aaargh circa 1950), they had pony/donkey rides in Golden Gate Park in SF. The donkeys mostly had "bucket" saddles, the really little kids were strapped in, and the donkeys walked around an arena set up like a Hitchcock pen (no jumps, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    waaaaaay back in the bad old days there was sometimes a leather belt around the kid's waist that was clipped to a d-ring. kind of like the safety belts on some carousel horses.
    Yep. I remember them too. Somehow I don't think that the pony in the pic is going anywhere, that handler looks pretty beefy. Still would be much better if they had one of those slip over the horn devices to give the child stirrups and a helmet for her.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Yep. I remember them too. Somehow I don't think that the pony in the pic is going anywhere, that handler looks pretty beefy. Still would be much better if they had one of those slip over the horn devices to give the child stirrups and a helmet for her.

there are some "therapeutic riding" saddles that have velcro straps like that--not that i have *ever* encountered a TR program or barn that would allow their use...

as for helmets--i'd suspect that parents wouldn't want to risk their kids getting cooties from shared helmets.

there are some "therapeutic riding" saddles that have velcro straps like that--not that i have *ever* encountered a TR program or barn that would allow their use...

as for helmets--i'd suspect that parents wouldn't want to risk their kids getting cooties from shared helmets.
    Better cooties than a TBI.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Better cooties than a TBI.
    no argument here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    When I was a kid (aaargh circa 1950), they had pony/donkey rides in Golden Gate Park in SF. The donkeys mostly had "bucket" saddles, the really little kids were strapped in, and the donkeys walked around an arena set up like a Hitchcock pen (no jumps, of course).
    And somewhat less further back, when I was a kid (circa 1970) they still did this at our local zoo. A western saddle and 2 leather straps. Each strap originated somewhere at the back of the saddle and was attached to the front near the horn such that you had a strap on either side of you. No helmets of course and the ponies meekly ambled around a Hitchcock type pen. I am pretty sure these begged for rides fanned the flames of my equine obsession.

As for the picture posted since someone is leading the pony I too am more concerned about the lack of a helmet. Not sure what the strap around the leg is meant to accomplish in the circumstances.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I remember being strapped in with a belt at the local pony ride. And no helmet.

Around here, it is not uncommon to see tiny kids strapped into the saddle with velcro straps running barrels and poles at the local playdays and shows, no helmets, of course. Gives me the heebeejeebee's. The horses are usually senior citizens that have been doing these games all their lives and know the patterns by heart. The kids have absolutely no control over them. Even though the horses seem to take care of their tiny riders, even the saintliest horse can trip around a barrel or pole.

Lead Line Ponies some times lose their cool

Strapping a child to a horse is never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

A pony like this one is why 'pony' is a 4-letter word. Hope the child is OK.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

if that's the kid's parent leading the pony, I'd bet you anything that kid was caught by the belt loops. Parents have super human powers ;-)
    That's a flipping scary picture.
    Kerri

I don't think I've ever seen a "pony ride" setup without a "seatbelt" of some sort. Haven't ever seen one that puts the kids in helmets either.

My daughter's first "real" pony rides (away from home and without me holding her) were at our local fair with the horses on one of those wheel things (each pony tied to a bar in front of it).

Considering the crazy things I used to do as a kid without a helmet, I tend to not be overly concerned by things like this. And the photo of the "lead line pony losing his cool" is, IMO, a different scenario than a pony in a true "pony outfit" type situation. The ponies I see at shows are often picked for the cuteness factor over the "dead to the world" factor, and aren't always ponies that schlep around kids day in and day out. Not saying accidents can't happen, but I feel better about putting my kid on a "pony outfit" pony than I do putting her in the car every time we go somewhere.

With that being said, at home the rule is that there is no sitting on a horse without a helmet, and no straps of any kind. But my pony is not a "pony ride pony," nor is he under a great deal of control for most of the ride.

Hitchcock pen? Is that the pen with an outer rail and an inner rail? I remember those at Yosemite.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post

I think I was at the same place 10 years after you!! It was in the mid 60's and I was probably 2 and it the same type of saddle/bucket thing. The straps are strange but I guess it keeps her from slipping off sideways. There is a guy at the pony's head and one beside her who could easily grab her if things get out of control.

Heck...around here (NE, Ok.) "they" do that to kids a lot younger and they run barrels on crazy horses!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Malda View Post
    I remember being strapped in with a belt at the local pony ride. And no helmet.
    Ditto
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I've seen these velcro straps used by both kids and adults while Barrel Racing....usually sans helmet
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."