The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Well I have had to reschedule twice now due to the vet having emergencies to go to. He is now hopefully coming out on Tuesday.

I guess by relatively sound I mean that he was no longer uncomfortable just being lead around the farm like he was originally, he is however still not sound enough to ride.
    Wait. This post was from yesterday, you said that the horse was not sound to ride. But today he's perfectly sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Wait. This post was from yesterday, you said that the horse was not sound to ride. But today he's perfectly sound?
    Uhm, what? Now I am confused. I posted that he was doing much better on April 6th, and was sound enough to ride and school yesterday.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Well I have had to reschedule twice now due to the vet having emergencies to go to. He is now hopefully coming out on Tuesday.

I guess by relatively sound I mean that he was no longer uncomfortable just being lead around the farm like he was originally, he is however still not sound enough to ride.
    The post above, written by you, was posted on April 6, which was just yesterday. Right?? Do I have my dates confused?

I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting your post wrong, OP. At 6:37AM on April 6, you posted that which I quoted (above) (post #54 in this thread). Then that afternoon at 2:11pm (post #57) you posted he was perfectly sound. That's where I got confused.

Glad he's sound and hope he finds his new forever home.
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

1 members found this post helpful.

I too am having trouble following the chronology. I hope by now the horse is all better and that the OP has learned some useful things in case such an experience occurs again. Just to reinforce the message from others, I would have called farrier ASAP, and would have done the styrofoam protocol immediately while waiting for farrier to get out to see what a mess he'd made.

If I had not been able to get farrier out within 48 hours, definitely would have found a Vet. Sadly, I have been reading some of OP's other saga on another thread, and I do believe this horse needs a new farrier for sure, and possibly a new home sooner rather than later. This is a very sad story on many levels.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, sdlbrdfan. Sad for this horse. OP, since you got him for free, and it's obvious that you two are not a match, consider the COTH giveaway forum. He may find the home that he needs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    The post above, written by you, was posted on April 6, which was just yesterday. Right?? Do I have my dates confused?

I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting your post wrong, OP. At 6:37AM on April 6, you posted that which I quoted (above) (post #54 in this thread). Then that afternoon at 2:11pm (post #57) you posted he was perfectly sound. That's where I got confused.

Glad he's sound and hope he finds his new forever home.
    The first post was made before I went to the barn, second after. Guess I should had clarified.

Here he is today.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    I too am having trouble following the chronology. I hope by now the horse is all better and that the OP has learned some useful things in case such an experience occurs again. Just to reinforce the message from others, I would have called farrier ASAP, and would have done the styrofoam protocol immediately while waiting for farrier to get out to see what a mess he'd made.

If I had not been able to get farrier out within 48 hours, definitely would have found a Vet. Sadly, I have been reading some of OP's other saga on another thread, and I do believe this horse needs a new farrier for sure, and possibly a new home sooner rather than later. This is a very sad story on many levels.
    Excuse me, but he has received nothing but excellent care while he has been here, thanks.
    The Blog

In addition to the hoof thread and the barn flooring thread and other threads, OP has a "disorganized lope" thread. I'm thinking that some of this "disorganization" is caused by something wrong with hooves and/or legs? And how long has that been going on? Before or after the trimming 11 or 12 or whatever days ago? Was this horse lame before he was trimmed?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    In addition to the hoof thread and the barn flooring thread and other threads, OP has a "disorganized lope" thread. I'm thinking that some of this "disorganization" is caused by something wrong with hooves and/or legs? And how long has that been going on? Before or after the trimming 11 or 12 or whatever days ago? Was this horse lame before he was trimmed?
    No, he was not lame before the trim, his lope being hollow has been an issue since before I got him, got him knowing that his lope was not finished. Now that he is sound I want to start working on the issue.
    The Blog

OP, your blog said you were cantering him over poles today, when he has been lame for almost two weeks and has appeared sound for one day. I know it says you were showing him to a potential buyer today but were you concerned that he might need a bit more time? Reading the recommendations from the farriers on this thread, I would have assumed he might need a bit more time?

Sorry the potential buyers weren't interested. I hope you find him a new home soon. Maybe having a vet out to get a solid idea of what was causing the lameness in the first place and having a solid treatment plan established...might be the fairest thing to do for both Te gelding and for any potential buyers.

Good luck to you and Cody.

3 members found this post helpful.

Still lame as lame can be 11 days later. Put an epsom salt poultice on him last night and wrapped both feet in a diaper just in case it is in fact an abscess. Also going to start buting him at night so that he can hopefully be a little more comfortable while standing in his stall which is mats over concrete. Also going to buy extra shavings to hopefully make it softer.
    So why did you move him from the stall with mats from this thread to the stall without mats in the other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    So why did you move him from the stall with mats from this thread to the stall without mats in the other thread?
    Oh, I know, I know.

Here she wants to sound like a good horse owner (horse on mats with extra bedding). There she wants sympathy because of the bad barn owner (no mats and not able to use extra bedding because they toss it all out).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Really? How many times do I have to say it HE IS NOT ON MATS. HE WAS NEVER ON MATS. Saying that he was on mats was a mistake on my part. When I first moved to this barn I honestly thought that the stalls had mats in them. I was buying him extra shavings from TSC, yes the barn staff were tossing them all out, went through almost $100 worth of shavings in just a few days. I can't afford that and would love to meet somebody that could!
    The Blog

I think running three threads, and a blog you have said things that just do not add up. people including a vet and farrier have given you good advise. but you seem to ignore it. After a while people quit trying to help someone who seems more interested in posting on the internet than getting their horse well.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

9 members found this post helpful.

It struck me as highly unusual that the horse was so recently lame, then suddenly 'tried out for two hours' by potential buyers. Two hours is absurd, after a recent and as yet not diagnosed by a Vet lameness, unless it was a mostly walking trail ride, IMO.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.