The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sore feet! DMSO? Iodine?

My gelding was trimed four days ago and has been lame/sore in both front feet since then. I was thinking that I would start treating his feet with Iodine to see if it was just his soles bothering him. Friend of mine suggested DMSO but I can't seem to find any info about using it on feet online. I have some and have used it for edemas before, but never on feet. Anybody have any experiance or suggestions? Four days is a long time to be sore after a trim IMO, and I would love to get him feeling better ASAP!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I would use magic cushion or durasole. And get a new farrier.

2 members found this post helpful.

What Laurie said. I've never heard of anyone using Iodine or DMSO for this. If he took too much foot off you may need to put shoes/ hoof boots on to keep him comfortable until his feet grow back.

My equine vet says never do anything that can carry what's on the outside of a hoof into the interior therefore, never put DMSO on hooves as it will dissolve and carry crud into the hoof. Iodine, hoof freeze, even Keritex on the sole only should help. Soft bedding, sole packing, padding wrapped on with vet wrap and duct tape would cushion the feet for a few days.

1 members found this post helpful.

Was he overgrown? If he his angles got changed severely he could be sore in the leg... but no, no DMSO... 4 days out is quite a while. he's been sore since the farrier left? Did farrier dig out his sole too much? take off too much toe? what happened?

Durasole

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Have you spoken with your farrier yet? If not, you should. Durasole is your friend.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebaypony View Post
    My equine vet says never do anything that can carry what's on the outside of a hoof into the interior therefore, never put DMSO on hooves as it will dissolve and carry crud into the hoof. Iodine, hoof freeze, even Keritex on the sole only should help. Soft bedding, sole packing, padding wrapped on with vet wrap and duct tape would cushion the feet for a few days.
    That was my concerns with DMSO. I was always super paranoid when I used it on my mare, but it seemed to clear up the random edemas she would get in the summer.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Have you spoken with your farrier yet? If not, you should. Durasole is your friend.
    No, I haven't yet but I plan to. I am going to assume that he didn't just magically become sound over night so five days is five days too long. He trimmed roughly 40 horses over two days and as far as I know mine is the only lame one. It was also the first time he had trimmed my horse. So, I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. I did feel a little upset when I wrote a $35 check for this job though!
    The Blog

A farrier is a hoof care expert.

Even the most accomplished experts make a mistake once in a while. When this happens, the farrier is ethically and legally obligated to make things right and to absorb the costs.

Any time a horse does not walk off the mats better than it walked up, the farrier made a mistake.

Sometimes the mistake is not immediately obvious and does not show up until after the horse has been turned out for a few hours. When this happens, if no one informs the farrier about the situation, there is nothing he can do to make it right.

A horse owner is ethically obligated to provide for the needs and comfort of the horse. One of those obligations is adequate hoof care and timely response to hoof care issues that affect the horse's comfort.

Skyedragon,

Your horse is lame. There is ample evidence that this situation is the result of the hoof care expert you hired making a mistake. In order to stop your horse's suffering, you need an expert to evaluate the situation hands-on and do what ever needs to be done to solve the problem.

The most obvious (obvious to me anyway) course of action is for you to pick up the phone and call your farrier and inform him about the situation.

If your farrier is indeed a hoof care expert, he will know exactly what to do, and he will make it his priority to do something about it ASAP.

8 members found this post helpful.

^I agree with Tom. Mistakes happen, especially if your horse was new to the farrier. My farrier trimmed my mare too short one time, and that was one time only. Why? Because I told her about it, she felt horrible, and made sure to remember not to trim her quite that way again. Never happened after that!

Soft bedding, a dry lot with lots of deep sand is excellent if you have one, and hoof boots.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    No, I haven't yet but I plan to. I am going to assume that he didn't just magically become sound over night so five days is five days too long.
    As is waiting five days to talk with the farrier...
    He trimmed roughly 40 horses over two days and as far as I know mine is the only lame one. It was also the first time he had trimmed my horse.
    Were you present at the time your horse was trimmed?
    So, I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Very generous...
    I did feel a little upset when I wrote a $35 check for this job though!
    On the bright side, imagine how upset you would have been had you written a check for $50.00.

I have been told the opposite from my vet and farrier about DMSO. I have used it countless times for bruises, heat, abscesses, and such on the soles of my horses feet with no issues. I also use it for edema and fluid around his legs, but I use the gel kind not the liquid. If my horse has an abscess I will also soak a pad in the liquid form and place it under an animalintex pad to help.

I have never had an issue and have notice a big difference with my horse. He is an OTTB and my farrier was very surprised to see how good his feet are.

However I also recommend Magic Cushion as well for sore feet. I have had to use it a couple times for bruises my horse got from rocks when we were trail riding one time.

Good luck!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

When I have made the mistake of trimming a horse too short I have gone back and put shoes on the horse for free.

What really pisses me off is when I make a mistake and the client tells everybody EXCEPT ME about it.

8 members found this post helpful.

I have had really good luck using Equilite SoreNoMore on sore feet.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    When I have made the mistake of trimming a horse too short I have gone back and put shoes on the horse for free.
    That's because you're a professional.
    What really pisses me off is when I make a mistake and the client tells everybody EXCEPT ME about it.
    I think that this is a fairly universal complaint among farriers..

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Know what really pisses me off? Farriers that don't return your phone call. IME, the majority of them.

My farrier husband returns every call. And he would happily go back and make the horse right if he knew there was a problem.

3 members found this post helpful.

cowboy mom- well, that's what they should do. I'm not picking on farriers. I find the same problem with most tradesmen. I think "it's a guy thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Know what really pisses me off? Farriers that don't return your phone call. IME, the majority of them.
    Your experience might indicate that the majority of farriers are not motivated to compete for your business. IME, farriers will cut each other's throat to keep a 30+ horse account. And it only takes a hand full of those to make a good living.

There are very few of us that specialize in providing good service to nothing but small accounts. And in order to make a decent living in that specialty, you have to charge much higher fees to cover the overhead.