The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about Marcel Toulous saddles with the Genesis system?

Hi everybody,
    I'm currently saddle shopping, and as much as I'd like to buy a custom CWD/Antares/Devoucoux/etc, my budget is only $2000

The horse in question is a slightly tricky fit, as he is between a medium and a medium wide. He is also very opinionated about saddle fit. It has to be 100%. As for me, well I'm a super long legged 5'11 rider. As you can imagine, our quest for the perfect fitting used sadle has been... well a PITA. I've just tried saddle #7, a Delgrange, but it was a 98% fit, so not quite good enough for Mr Princess. It was priced at $1600, which was a very, very good price for it's current condition, but it would cost $800 to get the tree tweaked to fit him, which would put it in $400 over budget. So there goes my field boot upgrade- which is seriously needed as mine are super short.

Now to throw two curveballs so to speak, I can't buy a saddle used via the internet, so I'm stuck looking at local stuff, which there isn't much selection in my area. I've already been to a few tack shops and my coach is on the quest, but we just can't find something in a 17.5 forward/long with a tree thats works for his back. And the second catch is that I don't own the horse. I'm half leasing him and showing on the Provincial circuit in the Hunter and the Eq, and I'll likely do so until either September 2013 or 2014.

Because of this, I ended up looking at the M Toulous saddles with the Genesis system. I like the idea of being able to tweak it milimeter by milimeter to get the perfect fit for him or another horse, plus it would be in budget. However, as a self-professed saddle snob, I'm unsure about the quality for the price. I can't go see it in a tack store because I can't find one that carries them in my area.

Can anybody tell me about the M Toulous saddle, or just generally direct me? My coach and I are stumped

I don't think it adjusts quite as finely as you're thinking-- and obviously, the panels would have to also be perfect, since these are a combination of foam and wool and therefore can't be tweaked as much as an all-wool saddle.

At that price point, I would send detailed photos to Matt Marlowe in the UK at Heritage. My custom jump saddle from him is gorgeous and he is ace at fitting from pictures-- or he can get you 95% and a local fitter can get you the other 5%. The saddles on his site can look a little, um, eventy and british but I promise they're really not.

Other options at a close to $2000 price point would be an Ideal or Ryder from Hastilow USA. If your horse is that picky I'd also consider the Loxley jump, which comes in at about $2300 if you can stretch your budget that far.

ETA: looks like you can't stretch it that far. I'd call Smith Worthington and talk to them about their Stellar line: http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=160 or even the mystic MS which is really nice quality for the price. They can tweak a saddle to any width based on templates.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know the reviews on the M Toulouses saddles are very mixed. I bought a Noelle for DD about 5 years ago. She had a hard-to-fit horse, the saddle fit him, and I could order it in a 16-inch seat for DD's tiny little self. She liked the saddle; it was sturdy and comfortable--well worth the money I spent on it. It did not have an adjustable tree.

Now, I am going to recommend you investigate a different direction: Smith-Worthington. Their saddles are very well-made, and they have excellent customer service. Their saddles are wool-flocked, and they will adjust the saddle to fit your horse free of charge. In addition, their saddles are excellent for long-legged riders.

I am sending you the link to a clearance saddle well within your budget. I am not positive they will adjust this one free, but they might: call them. They have an excellent reputation.

http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I see the above poster and I were thinking along the same lines.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have that saddle and I really like it. The adjustable gullet is really easy to use and it doesn't slip. I've used it on all different sizes/widths of horses and it fit all of them fairly well. The leather used on the billets is kinda cheap - meaning very stiff - but after about 15 minutes of working Akene into them and really bending them, they loosened up. The saddle itself is quite comfortable, and the calfskin is nice. The quality isn't a $3000 saddle but it's not a piece of junk, either.

My only possible negative for you is the flap is a bit short. If you have long legs, it might not fit you. But your best bet would be to ride in one. If you're near Chicago I'd be happy to let you try mine.

I also have this saddle and I love it!! You can really tweak the gullet which is great for my hard to fit OTTB. The leather is nice and gripey. For the price it is a great saddle.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There is a discussion of Marcel Toulouse saddles on the Eventing Forum, and one thing that several people said was that they lose their shape after a year or two. From that, one probably should look at other cheap saddles. They knockoff good saddles but do not have the same quality materials. And when their foam panels get out of shape, you are SOL.

However the particular saddle discussed was their monoflap, so it's possible that other versions might not be as flimsy.

Smith Worthington is a whole different class of saddle.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by 7Seven View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I'm currently saddle shopping, and as much as I'd like to buy a custom CWD/Antares/Devoucoux/etc, my budget is only $2000

The horse in question is a slightly tricky fit, as he is between a medium and a medium wide. He is also very opinionated about saddle fit. It has to be 100%. As for me, well I'm a super long legged 5'11 rider.

I've already been to a few tack shops and my coach is on the quest, but we just can't find something in a 17.5 forward/long with a tree thats works for his back.

the Provincial circuit in the Hunter and the Eq

Can anybody tell me about the M Toulous saddle, or just generally direct me? My coach and I are stumped
    If you're in Canada, you need to be looking under the Santa Cruz label (except they have a significantly higher MSRP)
    - if the saddle was made by another manufacturer, you could just try the comparable SC & then talk to Lynda at Classic Saddlery BUT quality control is erratic, so there would be no guarantee of a similar tree/panel shape ...
    (note that the genesis tree does have connections with CS so it's in the interest of CS to monitor quality of these saddles - if you're going to buy MT, CS is the place to do so!)

Talk to SW, I'd considered the Stoneleigh & they were going to adjust the saddle to fit even at the discount price

The base Equipe saddle is great quality for the price & tree can be adjusted by a saddle fitter - I believe it can also be ordered with different flap configurations. (there should be used versions on the market BUT tree & panels were revamped a year or 2 ago)

Prestige tree can also be adjusted & they are well made saddles.

I was in the same boat as you are. Extremely picky horse (except curved wkth large shoulders and very wide, bucks if fit isn't perfect) and I'm very tall....5'10" 37" inseam, 24" hip to thigh.

During my search I looked at the Toulouse, the Jennine was not forward enough for my leg...km totally blanking on the saddle I ended up buying (Toulouse...). I'll look it up and add. It was almost forward enough for me...but too flat for the horse.

Have you considered a *gulp...can't believe I'm recommending one* Bates? Their forward flap was very forward and its a very flat tree. You can get them converted to wool. Smartpak has a great saddle trial program with free shipping to and from.

Other saddles that didn't work for me...Pessoa, Collegiate, two Albion models. I ended up buying a Tad Coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

I am sending you the link to a clearance saddle well within your budget. I am not positive they will adjust this one free, but they might: call them. They have an excellent reputation.

http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467
    I'm 99% certain they will - I bought one of their Avalons on clearance (sadly it didn't work ) and Ruth said that they could either adjust it before sending out, or would adjust it in the first 30 days.

http://intecperformancegear.com/M.-T...-8702GEN1.html this was the model I bought and ended up reselling.

I have quite a long leg (6'1" and a 36" inseam) and have a Toulouse that fits me awesome... that being said, I did have a different toulouse model that I sold to a student because I couldn't hardly sit in it... and she loved it! My current saddle fits my small, but big bodied guy terrifically. I can actually have my leg on, and the genesis system works really well for small adjustments between horses.

While I think M. Toulouses are great saddles for young riders that quickly outgrow a saddle, I would not buy one for a permanent saddle. Personally I would look at Smith Worthingtons and Pessoas, and continue to look at used saddles. Honestly I had a Pessoa for a couple of years and loved it until I outgrew it. It was very much like a higher end saddle and was very grippy and soft. I've never sat in a Smith Worthington, but a lot of people on this board highly recommend them.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I loved my original Toulous Anince. I didn't have the adjustable tree and it fit almost everything. It fit me great. This summer the tree "softened" ( 3 years) I took it to my shop and they sent it back under warranty. 3 weeks later I was told they fixed the problem. I went and looked and it looked the same and squeaked SOOOO they sent me a new one. Same specs. However this one does NOT fit me the same.

The tree part was odd. There became a ridge in the gullet and it squeaked but was not flexible like a broken tree. Their comment was "softened". They were really great in standing up to their warranty.

That said I find the leather flap where you adjust has the potential to rub. Also make sure you tighten the screws back up otherwise you end up with a SUPER wide saddle...one of my clients did that recently.

All in all I like the Toulous.

I see that the Smith-Worthington Stoneleigh I recommended above is sold out except in 16 1/2. I think several of us on CoTH must have helped sell them! That was the deal of the century.

Fortunately, they still have some other models within the OP's budget.

My Toulouse saddle just broke. The mechanism to lock snapped off. I am taking it to the saddle shop tomorrow And they are going to send it in under warranty. My DD has a Pessoa and it seems like a nicer saddle for just a bit more $$$.

^^ I was just about to note that the Pessoa has an xchange system and nicer leather for a small bit more money. Mine was 1800 new, IIRC.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

It's hard to make a recommendation without at least some description of your horse... ? And pics would be even more helpful.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com