The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do You Know Your Tail Ribbons?

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I knew red, it is the only one I have ever seen!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I know stallion ribbons as red/white/blue

Red is pretty common at the local saddle clubs for some reason. I have never seen the others though!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I knew red, of course, and had heard of green but not seen it in use. Is there a color for "dumb"? I have one that could use that.

STRONGLY disagree with the Stallion ribbon color. Stallions have ALWAYS been marked with a YELLOW ribbon in my experiences in various disciplines. Especially the Hunting crowd. We got taught the meaning of ribbon colors as kids, to keep us out of trouble riding in groups.

One of those "NEVER, EVER go up behind a horse with a ribbon in their tail", because it WILL NOT end well!

Very few folks these days, expecially Western folks have any knowledge of the meaning of ribbons in a tail. They think it is some new fashion statement! Some learned about ribbons though, after getting in too close!!

The horse-for-sale ribbon is new, if anyone actually uses it. I have never seen one in actual use, just as jokes where your "friend" is goofing on you.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep always saw studs as yellow myself.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I have seen green ribbons used to mean "for sale" at a Connemara show.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Green: green horse
    Red: kicker
    Yellow: stallion
    White: for sale

From the hunt field. Some hunts do not permit stallions.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

4 members found this post helpful.

I wonder what country this picture originally came from? As I say I know red/white/blue as stallion ribbons, never seen yellow or blue for stallions.

I'm in the UK, I expect it is different in different countries, and may possibly vary between disciplines, I don't know.

examples:

Stallions may not be jumped on a ticket and must
    wear stallion discs and tail ribbons (red, white and blue) at competitions at all times.

All competing STALLIONS must be graded with the IDHS (GB) as RID (GB), ID Class 1 or ID Class 2 OR Grade 1 Irish Draught Sport Horse and must display a red, white and blue ribbon in their tails.

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Default I give up :)

Funny how the white one is for "For Sale" like I SURRENDER!
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

6 members found this post helpful.

Around here the only color ribbon you ever see is red.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Is there a color for "dumb"? I have one that could use that.
    Use green.
    Like a kid that is held back a year.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

3 members found this post helpful.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Never seen it, but I was taught that a black ribbon means the horse is being ridden by a member of the clergy.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    STRONGLY disagree with the Stallion ribbon color. Stallions have ALWAYS been marked with a YELLOW ribbon in my experiences in various disciplines. Especially the Hunting crowd. We got taught the meaning of ribbon colors as kids, to keep us out of trouble riding in groups.

...The horse-for-sale ribbon is new, if anyone actually uses it. I have never seen one in actual use, just as jokes where your "friend" is goofing on you.
    Agree. YELLOW has always been the color for stallions from as far back as I can remember...which is probably as far back as goodhors can remember, too. And that's a LONG way back!

Never, ever saw a white ribbon. Ever. Since a ribbon generally means "caution", it would be counter-productive to put a ribbon in a sale horse tail. It would totally warn off anyone, including buyers!

On a few endurance rides, where one does see stallions competing, I've been surprised to see colorful red/white/blue streamers in stallion tails. And when I say streamers, I mean "in your face large as life whole handful meant to be seen from 10 miles away" streamers as long as the tail, and very plentiful. When DRS ("distance related stupidity") hits a rider after hours on the trail, the stallion owner wants to make really, really, REALLY sure said DRS rider doesn't miss those stallion ribbons! Hence the vibrant colors and plentiful number.

everyequine
    I give up
    Funny how the white one is for "For Sale" like I SURRENDER!
    Love it!

Yep, these have been around since Jesus was in short pants.

But I know them the same as JSwan with yellow = stallion.

The white and green ribbons have also been around forever. I think they just went out of style and hopefully are coming back in style?

Horses used to get sold at shows all the time...more often than sold from their barns or ads. And there would be quite a few sporting white tail ribbons. Not only did we put a white ribbon in the tail braid, announcers would sometimes also mention it was for sale if it had a nice round/class.
    And if it had a wreck of a class, you'd often see the horse have that white ribbon removed really fast, LOL!

I've wondered for a while now why people don't use the white ribbons considering all the chatter about how to advertise a horse. People in the 70s-80s around here used to even bring their family/trail horses to local smaller shows and put them in trail classes with a white ribbon just to get them sold, not because they were interested in showing.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post

Very few folks these days, expecially Western folks have any knowledge of the meaning of ribbons in a tail. They think it is some new fashion statement! Some learned about ribbons though, after getting in too close!!
    The last time I used a ribbon on the witchy mare on a poker ride, I had people riding right up on her ass to ask what the ribbon meant.

Same group, a year later, riding a nice gelding that had never offered to kick. Well, gelding decided maybe kicking was worthwhile after some idiot spent 30 mins so close I could have easily reached an arm back without leaning and patted his horse's nose at any time. Rider ignored multiple warnings and the single-track trail didn't give me room to move aside. My horse kicked for the first and last time in his life (didn't do any damage since the horse was too close!) and everyone started yelling about how I needed to mark my kicker with a ribbon.

At least they learned what the ribbons are for, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJumpIt! View Post
    Never seen it, but I was taught that a black ribbon means the horse is being ridden by a member of the clergy.
    I have never heard that exactly. But in foxhunting the poppers on a hunt whip can have a meaning; if a member of the clergy was in the field his whip popper would be black; as a clergyman would eschew bright color.

It seems folks don't care much about that sort of thing these days; but once upon a time these things did have meaning. They were important to help distinguish people and horses quickly and easily; and without having to get too close.

I guess nowadays folks just ride up right behind a strange horse and then sue when their horse gets kicked.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

I spent my childhood riding my pony with a red ribbon in her tail. It was so embarrassing, but less so then when someone ignored it or didn't know what it meant, and my pony tried to kick them.

I remember learning them in Pony Club, but I seem to recall yellow for stallion, green for green, and red for kicker. I never learned white.