The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you wear sunglasses in the show ring?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes at least sometimes

21 52.50%
  • No never

19 47.50%

Default Favorite sunglasses

Do you wear sunglasses when you show? What are your favorite brands/styles?
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Maui Jim, Sandy Beach model. Fit great underneath a helmet.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't wear sunglasses to show, but to school I use Maui Jim Sugar Beach glasses - so light and comfortable and unlike my 'fashionable' sunglasses, they fit with the helmet!

Oakleys. Always

I don't show anymore, but when I did, I wore sunglasses at many of the outdoor shows...unless it rained! I wear Native Eyewear now for schooling and would show in them if I still showed. They are the most comfortable I've found and built for sport so they don't fall apart.

I ride in SSG Safety Glasses in clear, yellow and smoke to school & show. The lighter ones for cloudy days or indoor in winter so my eyes don't water. At $10 a pair, can't go wrong.

I have green eyes (light sensitive) and wear contacts (wind/dirt unfriendly) so I'm almost always in a pair of glasses. In the summer if I'm showing under cover, I won't wear any but that's about the only time.

Though I wouldn't mind some stylish ones for showing in so thanks for the ideas already posted... though I can't wear any with the 2 indv. nose pads, my nose doesn't like them.

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband bought a pair of Maui Jims - purely because they used to sponsor the event. We like to support those who support us. They are great sun glasses anyway, lightweight and they fit.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Usually wear an older pair of Nike sunglasses that are the wrap-around sporty style. I don't like sun coming in through the side, so I like the curved wrap-around type lenses. And if I am not wearing my contacts, I have a prescription pair of Bolle sunglasses that wrap around as well.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Ray-bans, always, I have nerve damage and need prescription lenses to see.

I don't show in sunglasses but I do ride in them most days. I use Oakley Vacancy and they stay on great with my helmet, don't move and don't fog up. I can hardly ride without them. I do believe this style is discontinued now. I got these probably in 2009.

I have Oakleys love them and they stay on well, sense they are made with the athlete in mind

Oakleys. I have light sensitivity and cannot go without sunglasses. I tried taking them off when I went into the ring, but on a bright, sunny day I cannot.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

I ordered Peak Vision GS4 sunglasses made specifically for various sports including equestrian. I'm keen to see how they are. I do love my Oakleys too but the style I have would be too bulky Under a helmet. I personally never show or ride with sunglasses but I've been thinking that maybe I should. Thanks for all the participation...

I *love* my new regular (not SUN) glasses for riding. They are Transition Vantage, and mine are progressive (cuz I'm old!); and they are awesome for outdoor activities. Really a great pair of glasses. And, yes, they'll fit under a helmet, because they're my regular glasses, not a cool (but bulky) sunglass style.

Highly recommend.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Maui Jim, Sandy Beach model, rose lenses (awesome depth perception). They are super light, fit under my helmet, and kind of stick to my face. I think they've only fallen off once or twice (when I hit the ground pretty hard!)

My funny story is that I usually ride in Maui Jims. Except for the time last summer when I lost my good sunglasses and rode in a Maui Jim Grand Prix with el cheapo ones I got in an airport. I was one of 3 riders to go right as the sun was setting and was utterly, abysmally blinded by sun searing right into my retinas coming from the water jump into a triple combination. Totally ate the first fence after the water and was thankfully saved by my horse. All 3 of us "ate" the same fence. None of us had on Maui Jims. Planned by the sponsor??? You tell me

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Maui Jim, Sandy Beach model, rose lenses (awesome depth perception). They are super light, fit under my helmet, and kind of stick to my face. I think they've only fallen off once or twice (when I hit the ground pretty hard!)
    I'm going to try a pair of these on. I love the idea of seeing the show ring through rose colored glasses. :-)