The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beval Stamford Saddle Reviews?

I recently put up a post for saddles for short people and someone mentioned the Bevel Stamford. Are they good quality saddles? Are they popular? Is Beval a nice brand? Any info like that I would appreciate! Thanks!

The Stamford is one of Bevals more economical saddles, made in Argentina unlike the Beval Butets which are made in France ( I think). It runs approx $1000. I have one and it suits my purpose. It is a relatively flat seat and pretty close contact. I use it for all my jumping lessons because it really helps me keep my lower leg in a good position. I do not use it for fox hunting because it is fairly hard in the seat and while it is fine for an hour and a half, anything over two hours in the saddle and I am looking for relief. I hunt in a saddle with a deeper seat that takes some pressure off the seat bones.

Overall it is a decent saddle and the quality is about right for the price. I had to buy a wide tree for my rather well sprung horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielamershad View Post
    I recently put up a post for saddles for short people and someone mentioned the Bevel Stamford. Are they good quality saddles? Are they popular? Is Beval a nice brand? Any info like that I would appreciate! Thanks!
    Check out Beval's website, they've mostly sold out the old Stamford's but still have a few Gladstone's on clearance & a nice sale until Mar 31

I see a lot of used Beval Stamfords at very good prices. I had one and only sold it because the seat was a tad too small. I thought the leather was very good quality for the price. Much softer and grippier than friend's Pessoas.

I am short and LOVE mine. It fits like a glove and the leather is like butter. You can't go wrong for the price!

There is a 16" on ebay with no reserve if I remember correctly.

I would love to find one in my size and see if it fits my mare. I rode in my trainer's over the weekend and loved it - really kept my leg where it needed to be - and was VERY comfy - alas, I'm sure it's from all her hours in the saddle!