The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for the clarification on Rather Well, Hony. He is a very nice stallion who is producing some very credible offspring and I do agree - out of all of the available TB stallions out there - mine included - he is by far the most qualified and credible as far as eventing sires go ...

Viney - with regards to Guaranteed Gold - agreed - no FEI offspring at this time but we all know how incomplete USEF records can be, especially with horses showing up here in Canada ...

Gatsby also evented and has eventing offspring - just not sure at what levels

Just to clarify:
    USEF records are not "incomplete" with regards to horses showing in Canada.

More correctly, they do not reflect or record any Canadian horses, or Cdn horse show records, nor do they reflect the performance of Canadian horses competing in the US, unless the horse has an USEF #.
    For example, two A Fine Romance offspring competing currently at the *** and ** level, A First Romance and A Little Romance, do not show up, and their performance does not contribute to his ranking.

That being said,although it may be difficult to track ALL of them, a stallion owner should be able to provide at least some names and performance results of their stallion's offspring, if they are going to claim that the stallion has offspring competing "successfully" .
    Further, if a stallion has offspring as old as 8-12, one would imagine that at least some would have attained FEI levels.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If Canada isn't too much of a stretch, besides the two that Phoenix Farm mentioned, take a look at Ilian de Taute. I was going to suggest Edelweiss de Bonce as a possible.

If you're open to TBs, Sea Lion started Rolex last year, but didn't finish. His TB name is Sea Elephant. He's a confirmed 3* horse and was just approved by the ATA. His immediate sire line (Sea Salute) has produced several excellent sport horses, including Sylva Martin's pure dressage Sea Lord. Not sure of the temperament though.
    I have his full sister, so I can speak to her temperament. She is extremely kind and not at all spooky, you can get on no prep no matter how much time off and she does whatever asked, always looks out for her rider and I can put anyone on her.

She is sensitive in that she is very light in the bridle and off the leg but takes a hell of a joke and will turn herself inside out to please. However she doesn't tolerate man handling, she needs a quiet understanding handler and she is a peach. Rough handling makes her very nervous but she really has never required it, her prior owner was like that with all her horses and Casey did not suit that program at all.

Her 2012 Formula One filly's owner and breeder (I leased her) calls her an "old soul" and has glowing reviews of she and Casey's temperament. Sea Lion goes very similarly to Casey in his videos, but I do not know him personally. Both Charish Campbell (Sea Lord's owner) and Pam (Sea Lion's owner/rider) are extremely nice and would be able to tell you more.

PM me if you want to hear more or their contact info : )

1 members found this post helpful.

I too would look at Gatsby. He puts really nice temperaments on his kids, a few upper level Eventers have bought his kids as Eventing prospects, and I know of several Ammies who are using their G kids for Eventing as well. He'll tone down the mare's bulk and add height - it's just what he does

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll third the mention of Michael Pollard's Halimey. I saw him at Rocking Horse and was very impressed. The horse has a lovely way of going, and preliminary seems very easy for him; he definitely has the look of an upper-level horse (not a dressage horse trying to jump). I'm considering him for my TB mare this year. Chatsworth Stud site
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

No one has mentioned Sea Accounts.. he is currently eventing although I am unsure at what level.

Then there is also:
    Salute The Truth xx
    Cicera's Icewater ( I know he did some eventing and had some eventing offspring).
    Royal Appearance
    A Team Effort xx
    ROC USA - I know he did not event but I would imagine his foals could
    Lotus T - I "think" he has some eventing offspring out there

Just some other idea's..

Good luck in your search!
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Never heard of A Team Effort before I will need to look him up! You have gotten some great suggestions! I know Lotus T is out of a TB mare so he would bring some more blood to the table to keep you at 50% or higher, I want to say ROC USA has a good amount of blood as well.

I also agree with Fred about the USEF records... As a mare owner I don't want to have to go hunting myself for your stallion's offspring, or hear why the results aren't recorded. I would want you to tell me the names and career highlights, I wouldn't chase you for it either. If your stallion is producing upper level horses you should be telling the world about it, with names and verifiable results. If your stallion isn't an upper level producer, well, market him towards whatever market it is that he is successful at.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    No one has mentioned Sea Accounts.. he is currently eventing although I am unsure at what level.

Good luck in your search!
    Sea Accounts has won his last two starts which were at Preliminary. I believe he will be moving up to Intermediate in the near future.
    He has several offspring competing in Eventing, one at the Preliminary level.
    He also has offspring competing in hunters and jumpers.
    His half brother is showing as a Hunter in VA and was Res Champion on Sunday.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

you might want to contact Denny Emerson - I know he knows a bunch about breeding for eventers and also has a couple stallions he is involved with .

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    JER is not a Cruising fan. Her pick this year was Flexible.
    Ah, Flexible. My mistake! Thanks for the correction! My memory was a little fuzzy...should have looked it up to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    Sea Accounts has won his last two starts which were at Preliminary. I believe he will be moving up to Intermediate in the near future.
    He has several offspring competing in Eventing, one at the Preliminary level.
    He also has offspring competing in hunters and jumpers.
    His half brother is showing as a Hunter in VA and was Res Champion on Sunday.
    Thank you!
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Concerto Grosso has 30 USEF registered foals, most of whom are low level dressage, low hunters and low level jumpers, often ridden by their breeders, but he has two nice young event horses who are moving up very nicely to Intermediate.

Hunter, a Heraldik son in California, has three young event horses registered with the USEF but his website says frozen only.

I think the heaviness of the mare in question would be of great consideration when choosing a sire.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Out of curiosity (we had Abundance here for a few years and had offspring that are the backbone of our program both in performance and in the breeding shed), what is the damline beyond him? TB? Warmblood?
    Having the full pedigree might make a suggestion for a stallion a bit easier.

Royal Prince, who is a Hanoverian, has a very nice eventing son named Royal Tribute who is with one of the Big Name Riders, but I forget which one. Just looked him up. He's with Doug Payne and finished 2nd at the Bromont 1* last year. He hasn't been out this year so far. He's a 2006 model.

Royal Prince stands at Hilltop.

Once again the mare pedigree (to see how heavy her relatives are) and her own phenotype would be extremely helpful. She's Half TB by Babamist out of a Hanoverian mare. Babamist was one of the great event sires of the recent past, but knowing what the Han family is like would help a lot.

Take Tasker up on her offer of help with this, since the experience with Abundance get is unparalleled. After all, he was her family's main stallion for years and they have horse generations of experience with him and his offspring.

You describe your mare "as a tank". That would seem to indicate that, at least for eventing, you wouldn't want to risk a heavier foal than her.

How heavy is her For Play foal compared to her?

A Fine Romance and Tatendrang are both good choices for your mare, I agree! There is also a Heraldik son called Hunter standing in the U.S. I believe he offers frozen only, and I've just read Vineyridge's post. Tate is a real favorite of mine and I'm following his offspring carefully. They all have inherited his looks and his jump and his nice temperament, so far! Also Pablito (Han.) has a daughter who was Prelim. USEA Horse of the Year, I think. I've bred to his sire Pablo and loved the resulting foal, now a successful show hunter.

I've also bred to For Play twice now, a 2009 filly now sold and starting over fences and medium-light in build but tall with good bone (did well in Hunter Breeding) and her full 2012 brother who is going to Mr. Wheeler to be prepped and shown this spring. Both are sensitive, intelligent, good conformation but the filly was a launching pad to start under saddle. The colt is gelded and is quite mellow.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Thanks all - this is great info. Some new names tossed around that I hadn't heard before so I have some more research to do. I love the wealth of knowledge available on COTH!

Tasker - unfortunately I am still trying to fill in that blank. My mare came from New Jersey and her dam was a horse named Chatter Box (sired by Abundance), but I don't know Chatter Box's dam's name (I think she was a TB). Any chance (long shot I know ) you remember the mare?

Viney - her For Play foal so far seems to be slightly more refined than she was. I think For Play really improved her front end and her neck, which is great. He looks like his sire from the whithers forward and his dam behind the whithers. These pictures are a bit old (he was at most four months in the later pictures), but you can see at least some of both her and and the foal here. Sorry, no good confo picks though: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d2f9c7d5d7
    Hope you can see the album!

Diane - Don't tell me that! I'm afraid this little guy might be a launching pad too! Though gelding mellowed him greatly, so I might have a prayer of staying on!

Love the discussion - keep the ideas coming!

There is a good picture of the dam with the foal in the photo album, so looking is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Babble View Post
    Thanks all - this is great info. Some new names tossed around that I hadn't heard before so I have some more research to do. I love the wealth of knowledge available on COTH!

Tasker - unfortunately I am still trying to fill in that blank. My mare came from New Jersey and her dam was a horse named Chatter Box (sired by Abundance), but I don't know Chatter Box's dam's name (I think she was a TB). Any chance (long shot I know ) you remember the mare?

Viney - her For Play foal so far seems to be slightly more refined than she was. I think For Play really improved her front end and her neck, which is great. He looks like his sire from the whithers forward and his dam behind the whithers. These pictures are a bit old (he was at most four months in the later pictures), but you can see at least some of both her and and the foal here. Sorry, no good confo picks though: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d2f9c7d5d7
    Hope you can see the album!

Diane - Don't tell me that! I'm afraid this little guy might be a launching pad too! Though gelding mellowed him greatly, so I might have a prayer of staying on!

Love the discussion - keep the ideas coming!

I was also going to suggest talking to Denny. He has 2 stallions now -- Formula One and Beaulieu's Quisini (or something really close). He has a bunch on the ground now by B.Q. and they look great. Beautifully balanced and man do they have suspension.

Denny certainly knows his stuff when it comes to breeding eventers, so I would definitely talk to him about either one of his horses.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Her foal looks like he's already got her bone, so will probably end up heavier, I think. I wouldn't describe her as a tank, body-wise But no, I don't think I'd want anything heavier for eventing
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...05415447_n.jpg

Third or fourth checking with Denny Emerson. You might also want to check with Bruce Davidson as he rode and I think bred some Babamist offspring.

For young stallions:
    Third Charm Farm has a very nice young Seattle Slew stallion who is doing well at the lower levels after a short time in eventing. He has a few babies on the ground.
    Rick and Elisa Wallace, Team Wallace, are standing a young TB stallion of Cormac and Bon Nuit descent. Full uncle of this stallion was 2nd alternate for 1987 PanAm's and long listed for 1988. Full aunt competed thru Intermediate with several young riders. One half-sibling was on YR 1*team and others competed through Training and Prelim with true adult amateurs and young riders.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim